Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Open Amiga  (Read 11223 times)

Description:

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
Re: Open Amiga
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 28, 2011, 09:22:24 PM »
So, on what platform want the developers do their job?. PPC emulation under x86???. Crosscompiling isn't important here, as you need to check the code executing it.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline Hans_

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
Quote from: persia;634080
It's profoundly silly to talk about an Open Amiga without actually opening up AmigaOS!  What's open, the case cover?

Every single project hosted on the Open Amiga site is open-source, and will remain that way (as per their open-source licenses); that's what's open. It is hoped that Hyperion will like (some of) these projects, and choose to make them an official part of the OS. If Hyperion do so then these modules will still remain open-source, even if other parts are still closed. This is rather similar to Mac OS X having large amounts of open-source code, while other parts are still closed.

I honestly don't get all the fuss. This site was created years ago in response to members of the community wanting to develop open-source OS modules that might eventually become official OS components. Recently, there have been people voicing their interest in helping to improve OS4, and the Open Amiga website is one possible avenue. Steven's blog post just highlights this site as an option, and I guess hints rather strongly that Hyperion has been paying attention to this community effort.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »
Licenses such as GPL and LPGL should be avoided as much as possible.
I presume the last bit means LGPL. Why is LGPL considered evil? I can understand that GPL could be troublesome, but LGPL?

Even GPL can be used with a linking exception.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:38:36 PM by Piru »

Offline ArgoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »
Quote from: persia;634049
Since HYperion have and own the code, how can you have an Open source AmigaOS without them?

*cough*AROS*cough*

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 12:09:48 AM »
Quote from: persia;634080
It's profoundly silly to talk about an Open Amiga without actually opening up AmigaOS!  What's open, the case cover?

Why? You can have open source software on any platform. OpenAmiga.org is just the same as if there was an OpenWindow.org or OpenMac.org.  It is not about open sourcing AmigaOS. I doubt that is even possible if Hyperion had a desire to.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 03:55:43 AM »
Someone else pointed out "Open Amiga" was about open source Amiga OS, but someone grabbed the domain and repurposed it....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 04:52:13 AM »
Yes, It was originally for open source programming on all Amiga flavors not just specifically AOS 4.0.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 02:11:45 AM »
Quote from: persia;634289
Someone else pointed out "Open Amiga" was about open source Amiga OS, but someone grabbed the domain and repurposed it....

Nothing like resurrecting the dead... ;D   But anyway the old openamiga was about standardizing between platforms to allow for easy cross platform development.   Ironically at that time AROS didn't even meet the specs.  Times however have changed. :)

I do however miss my old domain. ;)
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 02:23:56 AM »
SHould call it Open (for your contribution but otherwise closed) Amiga...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 02:48:27 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;634119
As redrumola pointed out on another forum, OpenAmiga used to be for Amiga OS and also Amiga related OSes such as MOS, AROS, and OS4.

But somebody (Björn Hagström aka Orgin) poached the domain when it expired and made it OS4 only, thus excluding the developers. Now they are begging them to come back. Sad.

It was first conceived of back in 2003 by myself, Bloodline, Terminills, filson, alx and a couple of others, before OS4 even existed.

Terminills let the domain expire after we gave up due to constant abuse from "Red trolls" and then one of them nabbed the domain for OS4 specific use.

http://openamiga.net is the new domain and this time we have the support and blessing of one of the founders of Hyperion; Mr Evert Carton.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini