Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm back with an A600  (Read 1610 times)

Description:

Offline Doppie1200Topic starter

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
I'm back with an A600
« on: April 01, 2016, 06:47:23 PM »
Ok, I'm not new. But I feel like it. After being absent for some years I decided to get me an A600.

I used to have an A1200 with 68060 scandoubler ....the works! But in a moment of weakness, many moons ago, I sold it. Having regretted that ever since, time came to get back into Amiga.

This time I stumbled upon this A600 that came with an ACA620 and 2MB chip ram. Not too shabby.

It is a rev 1.1 board in there. A kickstart 3.1 has already been fitted by the previous owner.

So, the plan is to get an indivision ECS in there. Nobody uses RF these days so that thing can go. Cut a VGA bracket in shape to fit in there.

Sadly, the required A604n is not in stock so the indivision has to wait.
The ACA620 was not bolted down and had no cooler. I read they had a tendency to run hot so I fitted a nice cooler. Together with a 4G compact flash she should be able to take some software.

Going for lean and mean this time with a 'BetterWB' setup. Pretty snappy! Hooked up a composite to VGA converter for the time being. Surprisingly readable results with the composite output.
Here she is:
Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)

Offline paul1981

Re: I'm back with an A600
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 11:40:11 AM »
My ACA620 wasn't provided with any means of fixing other than clipping it on the 68000 - It didn't mention anything else in the instructions that came with it either. Mine was one of the early ones though that also had a firmware fault (freezing/crashing). These earlier units had to be returned to Jens for a firmware update. So make sure it has the Revision 2 firmware loaded.

The 68020's in A1200's get pretty warm too btw, so nothing abnormal here.

Anyway, nice system! And welcome back to the forum.

Offline Doppie1200Topic starter

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
Re: I'm back with an A600
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »
Hi, thanks. The box that came with the aca reads rev 2. The system has yet to crash and I have played many hours of maniac mansion. There was no mounting stuff included with mine as well. But I like robustness so I bolted down the lot. I was surprised to learn the motherboard is only bolted down in two places. It's a low end Amiga after all.
Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)