Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: hello one and all!  (Read 1569 times)

Description:

Offline themoogTopic starter

• Show only replies by themoog
hello one and all!
« on: February 29, 2016, 04:44:38 PM »
Hi. My name is Simon and I live in the U.K. I used to play speedball 2 on my mates Amiga back in 1990/91 when I was 15/16, but I can't remember what model he had! I am thinking of buying an Amiga purely for some good old retro gaming...which model would be best for games like speedball 2?

Also, he had a dungeons and dragons type game which was based in an underground maze...can't remember the name of the game, but it was bloody good fun!

All the best!

Offline jltursan

• Show only replies by jltursan
    • https://sites.google.com/site/msxpage/
Re: hello one and all!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 07:21:41 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Without doubt, get an A500 and enjoy Speedball 2!, it's the cheapest model and the most compatible one out-of-the-box, and most probably is the one your friend own back in the 90's :-)

The D&D game, maybe "Eye of the Beholder"?, is one of the most iconic pieces of Amiga software.

Offline themoogTopic starter

• Show only replies by themoog
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 08:26:58 AM »
Eye of the beholder! Yup...that's the one.

Best I start looking for an a500 in the near future!

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »
Quote from: themoog;805004
Eye of the beholder! Yup...that's the one.

Best I start looking for an a500 in the near future!

Welcome! Unless your friend had a 'big box Amiga', then it would 100% be an A500 (not A500 Plus). This A500 most likely had Kickstart 1.3 ROM, but could have also been 1.2.
Also, it's highly likely it was fitted with a 512KB RAM expansion in the trapdoor - This would give the machine 1MB of total RAM.

The good thing about Amiga's are their Video output - buy an Amiga scart cable from EBay and hook it up to a modern LCD or plasma TV (must have scart input) and the picture will be fantastic! I recently bought a new scart cable from seller 'cool-novelties' and it's by far the best cable I've ever bought.

If you're truly oldskool, get a 1084S or Philips 8833 or similar (I still have mine as it really is the best for fast moving games).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:16:42 PM by paul1981 »