Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello from Connecticut USA  (Read 930 times)

Description:

Offline don27dogTopic starter

Hello from Connecticut USA
« on: January 22, 2008, 03:22:30 AM »
Hello all,

I was home at my parents over the holidays and stumbled on my old Amiga 3000T and decided to bring it back with me. Needless to say after not being touched for 12-13 years it was in need of a good cleaning. After blowing off the dust I noticed I was missing the floppy drive, keyboard and mouse. A little searching on Ebay and I have a keyboard and mouse on the way. I am a little confused about what to do about the floppy. I can't remember much about the amiga, but I think I recall you can't boot games off an external drive. Those seem to be the only drives I can find on ebay at the moment. I don't have high hopes for this machine but would like to make it functional and boot up some old games and bring back some memories. Anyway while waiting for the keyboard and mouse I hooked up a monitor tonight and turned on the power. The HD light flashes a few times and I hear a little clicking but end up with a 2.0 Roms (37.175) screen with an animated diskette inserting into a floppy drive. I assume this means the HD isn't booting. Anyway from here I opened the case and found 3 SCSI hard drives. I disconnected them all and tried booting off each one. Two of the 3 seem to have life and click a little. One of them seems dead. The cd-rom appears to light up, but I don't have any disc's to try in it. So this is where I stand. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Donnie
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 150Mhz, 68060 50 Mhz, 128Meg Ram, IndivisionAGA, Deneb USB Controller, Zorram 256, Os3.9/Os4.0 Classic
Amiga 3000T Warp Engine 4040, Elbox FastATA Controller, Progressive Perpherals ProRam3000 64Meg, Mediator, VoodooIII, Os3.9

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Hello from Connecticut USA
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:41:24 AM »
Hello Donnie and welcome to Amiga.org.

Your A3000T is beyond repair and you should probably just junk it.  I will take it off your hands for parts if you want and to be generous, I'll give you $10 plus pay for the shipping, what do you say?
 :-D

On the serious side, first open it up again and check for battery leakage that might damage the mother board.  Remove if any signs of leakage are present, or remove anyway just to be safe.  Sounds like your boot drive has died on you and you will need to dig out your OS 2.0, or 2.1 Install disks to use when you find a floppy disk drive.  Internal floppy disk drives do show up occasionally on eBay and other places, I will keep my eyes open for you.

Welcome back to Amigaland and good luck with the restoration of your A3000T (you know I was kidding with the first sentence, right?)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 03:47:14 AM »
the very first thing you need to do is remove the battery!!  It will leak (if it hasn't already) and eat away traces.  You HDs might be dead but you can always get a nice 4gb or larger one.  As for floppy drives you will need a chinon fd 357 type so as to have it fit in the drive bays.  But you could hack up the openings if you want but I wouldn't.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:59:49 AM »

don27dog wrote:
Hello all,

I was home at my parents over the holidays and stumbled on my old Amiga 3000T and decided to bring it back with me.
After blowing off the dust I noticed I was missing the floppy drive, keyboard and mouse.

I don't have high hopes for this machine but would like to make it functional and boot up some old games and bring back some memories.

Anyway while waiting for the keyboard and mouse I hooked up a monitor tonight and turned on the power.
a 2.0 Roms (37.175) screen with an animated diskette inserting into a floppy drive. I assume this means the HD isn't booting.

Anyway from here I opened the case and found 3 SCSI hard drives.
The cd-rom appears to light up, but I don't have any disc's to try in it. So this is where I stand.

You can get replacement floppy drives from AmigaKit

I'd recommend upgrading to the 3.1 roms so that you can try the newer OS versions like 3.9 or at least 3.1. You can get the Roms from AmigaKit as well.

You'll need install disks for the OS. As I said, I'd get the 3.1 ROMS and 3.1 disks to start. That should let you install on one of the good SCSI hard drives.

Play around, have some fun - if you want to go further get a copy of 3.9(so I'm told - I'm still waiting for my ROMs to install 3.5 on my A4000.)

If you do as recommended in the previous post and remove the battery and get just a floppy you can start playing bootable flopy games. (If you have some)

Otherwise, get yourself up and running as I mentioned and then take a look at WHDLoad and ADF files.

I hope that gets you going.

I think you'll also notice that a lot of people here will want your A3000T. I know that I'd love to have one in my collection.

So if you decide to put it back in a closet for 12-13 years, please consider shipping it to my "closet" I'll pay shipping and give her a good home.   :-D
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:20:44 AM »
Dave if you offered $20 I would have thrown in the orginal boxes :)  Thank you guys. I checked the battery and all is fine ... real clean and no leakage at all... BTW: what is the easiest way to network the amiga to a pc to share in the internet connection?  Ok.. I am off to amigakit to find drive and OS then off to bed. Cya in the morning.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 150Mhz, 68060 50 Mhz, 128Meg Ram, IndivisionAGA, Deneb USB Controller, Zorram 256, Os3.9/Os4.0 Classic
Amiga 3000T Warp Engine 4040, Elbox FastATA Controller, Progressive Perpherals ProRam3000 64Meg, Mediator, VoodooIII, Os3.9

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 11:42:09 AM »
I ordered
1 x Amiga Mouse (Branded/White) (AMIMSE000) = $20.72
1 x AmigaOS 3.1 (6 Disk Set) (AMIGOS031) = $20.72
1 x Kickstart 3.1 ROM chips (A3000) (AMIROM005) = $61.69
1 x Amiga Floppy Disk Drive (A1200 Tower/A2000/A4000) (AMIFDD002) =
 $26.43
1 x ActionPadAM (JOYPAD004) = $15.85

and some floppies.. Will let you know how a make out when it gets here

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »
Hi and Welcome.
If your short of Floppy drives again you may want to try rkauer hack http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=2180=5 . OS3.1 is great OS to start with, but OS 3.9 is really nice (just have to patch it...  :-D )
Anyway enjoy your A3KT  :-D
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline Christian Johansson

• Show only replies by Christian Johansson
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
I think you should be able to boot from df1: if you have 2.0 roms (but perhaps all games won't work).