Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Finally Back...  (Read 851 times)

Description:

Offline rbelkTopic starter

• Show only replies by rbelk
    • http://randy.onlybsd.com
Finally Back...
« on: January 24, 2006, 07:28:08 PM »
Well, I'm going to introduce myself after lurking for a year and a half. I finally got a 3000! I had one back in the 90's but I sold it and went with th X86 crowd. Anyway here's what I got...

Amiga 3000 w/
- Amiga OS 3.9
- 2 Megs Chip Ram
- 16 Megs Fast RAM
- Retina Z3 Graphics Card
- 2 GB SCSI drive
- External Plextor 8PLEX SCSI CDROM
- Mouse
- Keyboard

and it came with all the manuals...

I would like to replace the Retina with a Cybervision 64 card, and also get some type of network card, and of course a joystick.

But a couple of questions first.
1. I've got a LapLink cable, can I use it to talk with my Win2k/Linux system.
2. I have got to take the battery out, it's starting to leak. Where was the web page that describe in detail how to do this.
- People who hate Windows use Linux but people who love UNIX use BSD.
- Never forget the AMIGA. No computer in history ever made such a big step forward.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: Finally Back...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 07:34:30 PM »
Nice setup.

1.  Yes, as long as you have the correct connectors.  I've only ever used the serial side with my Amigas, but I guess the parallel would work with correct software.

2.  I don't know of a page, but use some sharp angle cutters and just cut the legs off.  Then you can desolder them from the board.  (Or, if you're going to change to a different battery, you can just solder to the stubs).

BTW, if you replace the Retina, make sure to get a Cybervision 64, not 64/3D as it lacks the passthrough.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(