Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My long-winded boring intro...  (Read 1788 times)

Description:

Offline dauberTopic starter

• Show only replies by dauber
    • http://scattered-frog.blogspot.com
My long-winded boring intro...
« on: December 29, 2004, 04:05:52 AM »
Hey, all...here's my story...

May 1988 -- I get a Commodore 64C as an 8th grade graduation present. Shortly afterwards I upgrade it with an old Dataset. [Ooooooooooooooooooh!] That year I get a 1541-II floppy drive for Christmas.

February 1993 -- I need something better. Having seen several Amigas in action, I decide I absolutely need one. I get the Amiga 600 from the now-defunct Tenex. I loved that little machine. I worked for the football team where I was going to college [well, nowadays it's a university], and on road trips I'd take the A600 with me, and we'd play Pinball Fantasies, Desert Strike, Madden Football, etc. in the hotel rooms the nights before games. Nice portable machine.

Fall/Winter 1997 -- I decide to get a "project Amiga" to upgrade, so I buy an old Amiga 500 from a coworker. Hmmm...I've already been upgrading the A600 pretty nicely; why can't THAT one be my project Amiga? So I sell the A500 to a friend who in turn sells it to his nephew.

December 1998 -- I really need to upgrade to something with AGA graphics. While looking through comp.sys.amiga.marketplace for perhaps an Amiga 1200 tower, I find an Amiga 4000 with decent accessories and stuff for a really nice price.

Decmber 1999 -- I upgrade the 4000 with a TekMagic 4060 accelerator.

October 2000 -- I upgrade further with a Cyberstorm PPC.

December 2000 -- I get the A4000 Power-Towered, and when it returns I learn why I couldn't get the computer to boot before I sent it for towering: the Cyberstorm blew. Software Hut gives me a loaner Cyberstorm MKIII 060 to use until mine comes back from DCE.

June 2001 -- I get a replacement Cyberstorm PPC from Software Hut.

July 2001 -- replacement Cyberstorm PPC blows. I immediately get ANOTHER one from Software Hut, who expedited one almost immediately. Two weeks later: THAT one blows.

September 2001 -- the Cyberstorm MKIII 060, which I bought earlier because I was fed up with the PPC and didn't want to surrender the 060, blows out! I get another TekMagic and a refund as a replacement...TekMagic still works beautifully to this day. :)

December 2004 -- I order the AmigaOne micro C from Software Hut and am VERY IMPATIENT because they're sold out and not expecting the next batch for a week or two....!!! Oh man...can't wait!!!

Anyhoo...I'm a man of many professions in my fairly young [30 years old] life...I've been a radio DJ, a tech support guy for Sharp PDAs, a magazine editor, a writer [and I still write from time to time - I had a couple of articles in Total Amiga; mine are recognizable because they have the fewest typos and run-on sentences. :) ], a test prep instructor, a PR guy [ * shudder * ], a library clerk assistant, a webmaster....
dauber - at - banana-and-louie -dot- org
former µA1-C owner

Offline zipper

Re: My long-winded boring intro...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 06:05:18 AM »
Welcome Sean - haven't you really been  a member here before? Very odd for a visible personality ;-)

Offline Robert17

• Show only replies by Robert17
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 10:32:22 AM »
Hey dauber, welcome to A.org  :-D
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 10:49:14 AM »
:-o 4 dead Cyberstorms! You cruel person! :-P. Seriously, did you ever get something back from DCE?

Welcome :pint:.

Offline Argus

• Show only replies by Argus
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 12:14:48 PM »
Welcome to Amiga.org!  That's some bad luck with ppc cards. I too bought one around 98/99 from Software Hut and it's worked happily in my A3000 since.  I later bought an A4000 and bought a TRexxII060 card direct from GVP-M.  Both have worked great since.
posted on A2500+ C=2620 14MHz/8MbFast/1MbChip
dialed in @34K
Just livin\\\' the dream...

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 12:20:51 PM »
Wellcome dauber :-)

CRAP years 2000-2001 for CSPPC production! and you know why?

Rich prizes for the winner :-)

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 03:14:34 PM »
yeah! another amiga person!
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline dauberTopic starter

• Show only replies by dauber
    • http://scattered-frog.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 04:31:26 PM »
zipper -- yes, I've been a member here before; just not very active. I figured I'd better start re-activatin' now that I have an AmigaOne on the way. :)

Everybody else -- yeah, that was rotten luck with PPCs....one reason I decided to just plain give up on 'em was that I didn't really need a PPC. The only things I could see that it was necessary for was encoding MP3s (an 060 takes me about half an hour for a three-minute song), playing some games, and good emulation, and I could do without all three. Well, that ain't so now.

I think the reason I had such a problem with PPCs is that all the Cyberstorms I had were DCE-manufactured; those are notoriously poor.

When I brought my first one back to Software Hut, Chris the tech guy told me that they'd have to send the Cyberstorm to DCE. I raised my concern because I heard all the horror stories about DCE. Chris said it WILL take a long time, but I'd be at a slight advantage over many others because DCE was more responsive when dealers sent in PPCs as opposed to individual users. Of course, it took well over a year to get it back, and that was after I sent a threatening e-mail to DCE as per Software Hut's advice...the third time the PPC blew Chris was pretty straightforward in telling me that if they send it back to DCE, I'd probably never see it again, as their problems with DCE were getting worse every minute...

But hey, I was happy to have a reliable Amiga again.
dauber - at - banana-and-louie -dot- org
former µA1-C owner