Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Several PPC cards on Amibench  (Read 32989 times)

Description:

guest1955

Re: Several PPC cards on Amibench
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2004, 01:42:26 PM »
Well, he promised me a 210/060 Blizzard with 128Mb Ram for £176 inc p+p.
When I asked if he still had the card, he said
"Yes - 2 pieces."
Do you think that means he has two (Or he snapped it in two!)

guest1955

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2004, 01:48:22 PM »
BTW
I've noticed the problems with buying PPC cards on Amibench over the past few months.

What were the problems?

Offline JaXanim

• Show only replies by JaXanim
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/home.html
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2004, 01:55:40 PM »
He told me he has Blizzards for A1200 and Cyberstorms for A3000 and A4000 (are these cards different?). If so he seems to have a fair range which he bought as bankrupt stock.

Like several others here, I'd like a PPC to run PPC-OS4 (as and when), 'cos it's unlikely I'll buy an Aone for a long time (if ever). It's all very well people saying 'go for the Aone, don't waste money on old 1200s', but many people have invested thousands in their A1200 and have no way of recouping that. The cheaper option is to get what we can out of OS4 without making quantum leaps, at very high cost, into the new stuff. The Aone is after all, just a mobo. You need a lot more stuff to make it a complete system.

Anyway, as soon as anyone recieves their PPC card from this guy, let us know if it's all legit. If he offers PayPal it sounds OK...doesn't it?

Cheers,

JaX

Be inspired! It\\\'s back!

Offline punkpieTopic starter

• Show only replies by punkpie
    • http://www.leemccormick.com
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2004, 02:10:18 PM »
I remember reading a while ago (on here in fact) that some guy in the south sold a PPC to 3 different people and didn't send the card to either of them.  They all managed to get the vast majority of their money back though, because they paid via paypal, which was good.

When I asked him about paypal he said that, although he has an account, it's not validated and he can't take money.  Which is shame because paypal offer protection for this sort of thing.

Offline Crusher

• Show only replies by Crusher
    • http://www.hast-enterprises.se
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2004, 02:21:46 PM »

JaXanim wrote:
He told me he has Blizzards for A1200 and Cyberstorms for A3000 and A4000 (are these cards different?).

Yes they are quite different, look here to see the BlizzardPPC and here to see the CyberstormPPC. :-)

Like several others here, I'd like a PPC to run PPC-OS4 (as and when), 'cos it's unlikely I'll buy an Aone for a long time (if ever). It's all very well people saying 'go for the Aone, don't waste money on old 1200s', but many people have invested thousands in their A1200 and have no way of recouping that. The cheaper option is to get what we can out of OS4 without making quantum leaps, at very high cost, into the new stuff. The Aone is after all, just a mobo. You need a lot more stuff to make it a complete system.

That was the best argument I´ve seen in a long time. :-D
Mainframe: Amiga 3000 Tower, CSPPC233/060, 144+2MB, 36GB UW, Prometheus, Voodoo5 5500, 10Mbit, 24xCDr, OS 4.0 ....Amiga since 1987.

Offline CU_AMiGA

• Show only replies by CU_AMiGA
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2004, 02:43:26 PM »
@JaXanim

Yes. Very well said. Well done old chum! :-)

Okay me and tangletown both have his address and are both the same. So thats one thing out of the way. If this guy is for real, then this has to be close to bargain of the century!
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2004, 02:46:29 PM »
Hi,

I have his address too.  Can you PM me so I check it against yours?

Cheers.

Offline CU_AMiGA

• Show only replies by CU_AMiGA
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2004, 03:02:42 PM »
@Punkpie

Check your PM
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2004, 07:15:55 PM »
Guys, I've ordered and payed for the BPPC 060@50Mhz - 603e@240Mhz + SCSI version and he is about to send it. I used paypal to pay. He said he can only accept non credit card payments. I sure hope he didn't sell this card to someone else too, because if he did...I will be in the same situation as I was before (I was one of the 2 guys who got scammed for the BPPC sale from the guy in the UK).

So far I've been getting replies regulary from the seller, but we will see what happens. If I get scammed again I'll probably stick to eBay from now on, and pay premium prices, but have  better security and assurance that the seller is legit. I know, eBay is not 100% safe either, but much safer than Amibench and private sales, that's for sure.

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2004, 08:21:13 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info.

It looks like the address he has given us all is correct so he seems ok.  Let us know if you get it safely.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2004, 08:42:05 PM »
If I get scammed again I'll probably stick to eBay from now on, and pay premium prices, but have better security and assurance that the seller is legit. I know, eBay is not 100% safe either, but much safer than Amibench and private sales, that's for sure.

Honestly, I'd say eBay is as bad, or worse.  I got scammed out on after I paid for a Toaster/Flyer on eBay about 5 months ago.  :-(  I even bought the stupid PayPal insurance(!!)  They ruled that it was totally the sellers fault, and kicked out the seller, but collected me $0.00 of my original money.  Glad I paid extra for that insurance.  Big help.  And people wonder why I don't use PayPal anymore.  :-P

guest1955

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2004, 09:03:59 PM »
I am just about to send the guy the payment for the 210/060 and realised he has only been a member for 5 days. Can you all give me your serious feelings towards this is a good idea or not.

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2004, 09:14:24 PM »
To be honest,

it's not a good idea. But, I am in a need of a BPPC card, and I realize that the deal is very good, and the risk is very high, but I am willing to take it as if this turns out to be OK I will get a great bargain, as prices are way bigger than what he's asking for the listed hardware. It's very tricky to decide what to do. If you wait for too long he may sell it to someone else, if he's for real that is, but it could also save you from being scammed...

I can only tell you that he will wait for the money to be deposited to his bank account before he sends the card, so if you pay today, 5 days later or so when he sees the money in his bank account he will send the card (approximately), as he is new to paypal and doesn't rely simply on what he sees in his paypal account balance, but wants to phisically have it in his bank. That is what he is doing right now with my payment. Extremely fishy, but, we will see what happens. I am willing to take the risk this one last time. :-)

Offline Crusher

• Show only replies by Crusher
    • http://www.hast-enterprises.se
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2004, 09:30:16 PM »
Why not ask his bank if it is he who own the account?  :-?
Mainframe: Amiga 3000 Tower, CSPPC233/060, 144+2MB, 36GB UW, Prometheus, Voodoo5 5500, 10Mbit, 24xCDr, OS 4.0 ....Amiga since 1987.

guest1955

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2004, 09:56:57 PM »
I wasn't aware that there would be an extra waiting period for the funds to clear.
I'm not rich like you, so I can't afford to make these kinda mistakes :-P
As for asking the bank; the guy's German and so is his bank. My half-forgotten GCSE German isn't going to be enough to carry out any kind of sensical conversation with a confused bank-manager!
One question I have been asking myself is: why are the prices for the cards so low? I just saw a Blizzard PPC that was half the speed as the ones he is offering, get bought straight out at £175 on Ebay. The obvious answer is that he is using our greediness for his benefit, to the point that we ignore all common sense because we only care about the price. Anyone agree?
Yes; I'm paranoid.

Offline Lemmink

• Show only replies by Lemmink
    • http://www.lemmink.joice.net
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 03, 2004, 10:07:07 PM »

Why not ask his bank if it is he who own the account?

Because a bank will give this kind of information only to the gouverment or the police. That`s at least how it is here in germany.
If you are worried about the prices being susspicously low I can calm you. I had a look at the prices and I can tell you that they are only about 10% below the average price here in germany. I recently got a CSPPC 040/40MHz /180 MHz for 180 EUR incl. p&p
From what I have read here at AOrg I think prices for used Amiga-Hardware are ridiculously high in the US. For top notch hardware about 170% of what I would pay here.
Not really interesting, but it`s there.
http://www.lemmink.joice.net