Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Several PPC cards on Amibench  (Read 34086 times)

Description:

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
Re: Several PPC cards on Amibench
« Reply #449 from previous page: April 28, 2004, 05:34:02 PM »
Sorry about the delay guys, I had a pretty strange week.

I just talked to Bernd Binder (using the phone number Lemmink supplied) - this is the guy that regular sells stuff on eBay and sends out newsletters to former customers (e.g. Lemmink) advertising stuff he currently has available.

He told me that:

- he knows AmiBench, but never sold anything there
- the only way he sold Amiga stuff recently was eBay
- he's not the guy you're trading with
- he's not reading amiga.org

He basically said that he's got no idea what I am talking about.

Personally, I would have expected the guy to be somewhat more suprised/upset/worried  if a guy from amiga-news.de phones him and tells him after a few minutes that "somebody must be abusing your reputation then - to cheat customers" (his answer was "seems so." and he didn't ask any further questions). But that's just IMHO - and perhaps he simply wants to keep me out of this.

Offline Morley

• Show only replies by Morley
« Reply #450 on: April 28, 2004, 05:55:19 PM »
Uh-oh. Time to get paranoid :-(
Lame signature removed by moderator.

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #451 on: April 28, 2004, 06:07:32 PM »
Didn't Flowman say that he spoke to Binder over the phone, and basically he found the right guy, who appologized for the mess, etc.? Or was that a practical joke by Flowman, or something?

Offline vpcs

• Show only replies by vpcs
« Reply #452 on: April 28, 2004, 06:24:05 PM »
The Plot Thickens
Greg

:rtfm:

Offline x56h34

« Reply #453 on: April 28, 2004, 06:25:14 PM »
@cgutjahr:

Hmmm...it seems that Binder was playing dumb in your conversation. His adress, e-mail address, name, etc. make him the perfect match. All that info is essentially the same in the PayPal account and Lemmink's newsletter, so it's 100% got to be him. It's impossible for someone to register a PayPal account and fake the address/banking info in it, and still be able to withdraw the money from the online credit amount. He is a liar.

At this point I think that this case should definitely be forwarded to German police as Bernd is simply f**king around with us.

EDIT: Give him another call and tell him that we will report him to the Police anyway because he is obviously lieing.

Offline vpcs

• Show only replies by vpcs
« Reply #454 on: April 28, 2004, 06:27:19 PM »
When all is said and done I'm seeing a Made For TV Movie in the works..."Unsolved Mysteries...The Black hole between Mr. Binder and the rest of the world"
Greg

:rtfm:

Offline Morley

« Reply #455 on: April 28, 2004, 07:06:56 PM »
Hmmm...it seems that Binder was playing dumb in your conversation. His adress, e-mail address, name, etc. make him the perfect match. All that info is essentially the same in the PayPal account and Lemmink's newsletter, so it's 100% got to be him. It's impossible for someone to register a PayPal account and fake the address/banking info in it, and still be able to withdraw the money from the online credit amount. He is a liar.

Well, I don't think this necesarily is true. Non-US paypal accounts normally have unverified adresses (and names?) I think you can have a paypal-account and use somebody else's credit-card for withdrawal and payment.

Anyway, it looks like it is time to call the cops'

Offline AccyD

• Show only replies by AccyD
« Reply #456 on: April 28, 2004, 07:24:04 PM »

Morley wrote:
Non-US paypal accounts normally have unverified adresses (and names?)

I live in the Uk and my address is verified - unless this is a new thing, as I've only joined in 2004??

Offline Morley

« Reply #457 on: April 28, 2004, 07:39:28 PM »

AccyD wrote:

Morley wrote:
Non-US paypal accounts normally have unverified adresses (and names?)

I live in the Uk and my address is verified - unless this is a new thing, as I've only joined in 2004??

Mine isn't...I joined now in 2004 also...heh :-?

But then I live in Norway, dunno if this matters

Offline NightShade737

• Show only replies by NightShade737
    • http://atomnet.co.uk
« Reply #458 on: April 28, 2004, 07:42:37 PM »
Mine and my mom arn't either even though the cards registered match the address. I can't figure out what I have to do to make it verified...

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #459 on: April 28, 2004, 07:56:57 PM »

Huh?  This doesn't prove anything.  Of course you can withdraw money from a 100% fake account.  It goes like such...

1) make fake account with any details you like. (in this case, make it look like Bernd)

2) recieve payments into fake account.  (These payments stay as "PayPal Dollars")

3) fraudster transfers PayPal dollars from fake account to his real PayPal account, citing a phony transaction.

4) fraudster withdraws money from the real account.  

5) fake account gets locked and removed as fraud.  

6) innocent buyer gets NO money back, even though clearly frauded, while the fraudster's real account keeps the money.

Trust me -- I've had this played against me.  Why do you think I speak so badly of PayPal all the time??

Offline x56h34

« Reply #460 on: April 28, 2004, 08:11:12 PM »
@Ilwrath:

OK, it makes sense. I didn't think of it like that, but, those people that mailed their payments to Mr. Binder mailed them to the very SAME address as in the PayPal account and the newsletter, and he also provided bank account information with the same name, address, and even bank account number, etc., to people that would potentially pay by wire transfer, and all that info also matches the PayPal and newsletter address. So in conclusion, although you did open my eyes to how PayPal frauds can be made, I am still not convinced that this is not actually Binder messing around with us.

Offline x56h34

« Reply #461 on: April 28, 2004, 08:14:01 PM »
On another note, it seems that there is some serious danger in online ordering in the Amiga community at this time, as this is the second time something like this has happened in a very short period of time, so obviously people should be very careful in the future, starting with me as I bit the bait twice. :-(

Offline Van_M

• Show only replies by Van_M
« Reply #462 on: April 28, 2004, 08:19:32 PM »
Guys, I really think you should compose a list wth all the names, addresses, Paypal acc. numbers etc. of all that got messed up by this guy. Send them to some friend in Germany and he should contact the appropriate department for electronic crimes and frauds of the German police. You can even put money altogether and hire a lawyer.
The new Megadeth album rules!

Offline Van_M

• Show only replies by Van_M
« Reply #463 on: April 28, 2004, 08:27:05 PM »
This guy (the conman) exploited the excitement that many of you feel, towards the release of OS4...
at the same time he realised that the most famous amiga model inside the community is the A1200 and he thought of putting imaginary BPPCs for sale, instead of CSPPC, because even if you don't have an A1200, you can buy one for much cheaper that an A4000. Too bad, this is all so sad....    
The new Megadeth album rules!

Offline x56h34

« Reply #464 on: April 28, 2004, 08:42:01 PM »
He advertised CSPPC also. Everything good basically in the accelerator world was there for both A1200 and A3000/A4000, including the CV/BVPPC graphic cards.