Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games that were better on PC than on Amiga :-o  (Read 7403 times)

Description:

Offline purKKi

• Show all replies
Re: Games that were better on PC than on Amiga :-o
« on: July 11, 2004, 06:30:41 PM »
I agree with Rampart... Monkey Island I (VGA-version), Monkey Island II, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Syndicate, Mortal Kombat and Civilization also!

Offline purKKi

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 01:28:28 AM »
Monkey Island games...

mikeymike: Otherwise the graphics suck, they're horribly blocky (good ol' VGA)...

Hmmm.... yes blocky but Amiga OCS resolution 320x200 (32 colours) vs. PC VGA 320x280 (256 colours)?

Offline purKKi

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 04:01:34 AM »
Dune II was a game that I used to play with PC instead of my Amiga 500: more colours and faster... Syndicate too! PC version used 640x480 resolution which was a luxury in games back then.

I also liked the PC version of Pinball Fantasies better (with Gravis Ultrasound & 256 colours). But my favorite is definetely AGA-version on my CD32 & big TV-screen!  :-D

Pinball Dreams original Amiga version was better though. That PC conversion was not so smooth...

Offline purKKi

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 12:44:54 AM »
VGA is 320x200 (16 colours)...

Yep, my mistake: 320x200. But that is EGA (16 colours).

SVGA improved 256 colours to higher resolutions like 800x600 and up, compared to standard VGA.

Offline purKKi

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 07:48:30 PM »
no, also vga had just 16 colours.
But vga had a bigger palette than EGA.

Are you sure? I have always thougth that VGA can display 256 colours because of the information of the computer magazines, game packages ("256 VGA graphics") and I remember that my friend had an AT with VGA card which could display 256 colour games and he could use PC Deluxe Paint Enchanched in 320x200 resolution with 256 colours but not with 640x480 resolution like I because I started with SVGA card...

Offline purKKi

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 11:39:35 PM »
I would LOVE for a new Amiga to come out so that I can stop paying Bill for crappier and crappier OS's that get more and more expensive.

That is true... what is the difference? I mean these new Amiga systems or even Mac, they are much like PC in a way.

The main difference is the OS and I must say that the biggest problem with PC is Microsoft. New Windows systems are more and more crap like you said.

I have always loved PC because you can control things, know what is going on and upgrade the things you want etc. - now with these new MS operating systems things are totally diffent and you don`t know what the heck is going on behind Windows!

Still I use Windows XP. Why?

-Linux: no programs that I need. (I am studying graphical design).

-Mac OS: Just hate Mac. Expensive, terrible "design style" keyboard & mouse, used a lot G5 with OS X and it crashes much more than XP and jams a lot for a while... and the interface is crap if you ask me.

-New Amigas: very expensive and not too much software. I would be just browsing the Internet and listening mp3s, having to use my PC for other software...

But I love classic Amiga: yes, great hobby and it is just great to play those fantastic old games. Best 2D games you can find! The new games are not my cup of tea except some good strategy games like Hearts of Iron.

Offline purKKi

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 08:19:40 PM »
This thread is interesting, because the other day I was thinking of building a lil 486 system

Build a Pentium (166/200Mhz) system and you can also play a little bit more advanced games: 486 era megagames that vere even too much for 486/66Mhz run smooth then. You can also use PCI-cards.

Get also a sound card that has wavetable abilities: General Midi and Roland emolation... or even a real Roland card with Soundblaster for efects! Now you can enjoy quality midi music - not those terrible Adlib FM-tunes.

I have an old Pentium 133Mhz Laptop with cd-rom. Not use too much but great for retro gaming and it also spares some space for my Amiga & old console collection. :)