Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls  (Read 13746 times)

Description:

Offline alx

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« on: January 26, 2004, 09:47:56 PM »
@Wayne

You've voiced my concerns exactly - however I cannot think of one great fix-all solution.

The idea I had on the other thread was limiting DMZ participation to people with more than x posts (perhaps anyone above "merely curious?"), but I'd imagine that could lead to borderline spamming to get to "DMZ status".

Some amount of user moderation like slashdot could maybe help - if a very large number of people "voted" a post bad then it could go down a level of significance or be reported automatically to mods.  But I guess that'd be a lot of work to implement, and might not work with sites smaller than /.

Perhaps a filter could be implemented that stops pictures larger than a small size appearing and converts them into links (so custom smilies will appear, but nothing else).  Or one that blocks posts with less than ten or so characters.  Or, perhaps a timer could be added like on phpBB to stop posting in quick succession (the infamous double/triple posts).

But one good thing - when was the last flamewar? :-o  :-)

Offline alx

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »
@Amiperson2K3

It is hard as hell to stamp out the problem but if you put all the vermin in one section of this website and allow them to do their stuff in one place it will be better all around.

But if what Wayne's said is true, that'd only eventually lead to server problems :-(

@mikeymike

I never said anything about moderating comments up :-P