Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ford beheading a cat? Hoax?  (Read 2202 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Ford beheading a cat? Hoax?
« on: April 28, 2004, 06:45:20 PM »
Funny how these hoaxes go. I am sure this is a hoax, but it wasn't presented to me as such. I was told Hey! Did you hear about that Ford UK commercial that got banned?!? As soon as i was told what it was, I KNEW there was no way that was Ford. After watching the video clip and seeing the www.the-eviltwin.co.uk at the end, I knew for a fact I was right.

So, this begs 2 questions?
1) Who did this and why? Just a joke? Whos is www.the-eviltwin.co.uk ? The site is password protected.
2) Why are people so guillable to believe it was really Ford?

For those who have not heard of this yet I have put it up for download, with a warning.

[color=FF0000]WARNING! THE FOLLOWING VIDEO CLIP IS GRAPHIC AND ARGUABLY OF VERY BAD TASTE. IT IS *NOT* FOR CHILDREN OR PEOPLE WHO ARE EASILY OFFENDED. DOWNLOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK[/color]
Click HERE

Moderators: If you feel this is too violent to be linked here, go ahead and remove. IMO it's CGI and not really so borderline, but I'll understand if you feel different.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
Re: Ford beheading a cat? Hoax?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 06:56:30 PM »
Dunno if it's a real Ford advertisement. I just know it's very funny :-).

Offline AccyD

• Show only replies by AccyD
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 07:31:01 PM »
It is a real advert, although Ford never planned for it be used on TV/cinema etc. their plan was for it to gain noriety by being spread around the internet (as it has been here) and offer more publicity that way.

Sort of trying to emulate the success of the Paris Hilton and Kylie e-mails that were sent before (personally the kind of p**sy I like does not have four legs, but at least Ford have tried !! :-D  :-D ).

Also, Red was right, no cats were injured in the production, although real cats were used in parts of the film.

• Original Omega User
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 08:33:52 PM »
It is a real advert, although Ford never planned for it be used on TV/cinema etc

i don't believe that one bit. I'll only believe it if there is a clarification directly from Ford. It would be more believable if it was another car company, like Hyundai or Kia. But Ford?!? Henry Ford's would be rolling over in his grave. Naah, his influence is still felt in the company. They are more conservative than that:-)

You can have that Model T in any color, as long as it's black!

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 09:08:09 PM »
I've yet to watch the video, but this was written up on ArsTechnica a while back.

Snopes has both sides of the story.

Ogilvy.com is running an apology.

I could've sworn I read at one point that the agency had a name like "VirCo," and/or perhaps that was a suddenly-disbanded sub-brand of Ogilvy... and/or I could have just imagined it.  Were that the case... well, still, who the heck knows; it's easy to imagine Ford itself having differing opinions internally.  The fact that they completely disappeared the site, rather than using it to sell any positive features of the car (as someone who's caught fingers in a power window before... heh), suggests that whatever the motive, they really did decide to end it.

Would've been a good ad if the site could've said "No, not really, we finally put some safety features on those d**n things!"

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 09:26:43 PM »
LOL. :lol:
Very funny. It's definitely not for real, and I also doubt that Ford had anything to do with it.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 06:47:23 AM »
HAHA! {bleep}ing hillarious! :-D
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 12:54:01 AM »
Download doesn't work. Overloaded?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 01:02:34 AM »
Definately a hoax. Decapitation in such a fashion would leave a fair amont of blood all over the windscreen as the corpse slides off, if it were real.

Funny as hell, in a twisted way :-D
int p; // A

• Original Omega User
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 01:26:28 AM »

weirdami wrote:
Download doesn't work. Overloaded?

Chewing up my bandwith, had to remove it:-) I doubt it was the AO crowd, must have gotten linked to somewhere else.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 07:55:58 AM »
Mirror
It's only a 512 kbps line, so please be patient! :-)
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 08:44:07 AM »
Heh... It is quite an amusing clip.  Ford of Europe is quite a bit different from the conservative Ford Motor Company known to the US.  They might be crazy enough to fund something like this on the sly, but I kind of doubt it.

Someone did a pretty good knock-off of the Ford fonts and style, though.  The van in the background looks to be a Ford Galaxy.  (Incidental vehicles in a Ford commercial are always other Ford products...)  Whoever did it knew a thing or two about the Ford style.

There's also a commercial with a bird getting swatted by the Sportka.  There's a couple minor mistakes to show they're either false, or weren't quite finished, though.  On the bird commercial, someone forgot to shine the tires before shooting it.  Also, there's a standard front license plate, instead of the Sportka plate.  (Can ya tell I worked at Ford for a while?)