Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: eBay sucks!  (Read 7205 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Re: eBay sucks!
« on: August 30, 2007, 02:54:25 AM »
Well, I refuse to patronize Amazon.com, so what there?

FA should head auctions, anyway.  Makes it easier to tell if something is available immediately.  But, we've already had a few "eBay is evil" discussions around these here parts, and they all read just the same as this one.  Pretty much like every flipping Doomy thread.

Laters... going to get some $.35 wings!  I'm starving...

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
You have to wonder...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 10:07:43 PM »
There's an A2500 on eBay right now.  It was re-listed after not selling the first time for $99.95.  Now the seller has this:

I will not let this fabulous Amiga 2500 go for less then $99.95.  If it does not sell this time, I will just smash it up and throw it in the dumpster.  So, if you want this computer, bid on it.  The first time that I listed this Amiga 2500 computer 1317 people viewed it.  So, I know that this is a very desirable computer.  It is very clean and works great.

Personally, I don't think anything like this needs to be said.  I've re-listed items before because they didn't sell.  Sometimes the right buyer doesn't come around the first time.  No big deal.  I understand this guy probably doesn't want to keep hanging on to this unit and is ready to chuck it -- it doesn't need to be said.  And 1317 people were watching it, probably like me to see that it wouldn't sell for the $100 he was asking -- that doesn't need to be said either.  In short, don't chastise us because we didn't buy; just keep your attitude to yourself, re-list, and maybe the right buyer will come along.  Someone's bid on it this time, so good for you.

To me, this guy isn't in it for the Amiga so much as for the money.  If he was really trying to sell it to someone for the love of the machine, he'd let it go for less or at least not {bleep} about not getting $100 for it the first time.  Again, demand sets the market, and the first time there was no demand.  Now there is.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Re: You have to wonder...
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 10:16:01 PM »
Well, at least he's taking PayPal now ;-)

[EDIT]:  Err, nope, apparently I can't read.  And the fact that he doesn't know the difference between "then" and "than" might be an additional exhibit.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 10:28:11 PM »
swift240 wrote:
The one thing that pisses me off is when you put in an auction UK only.
Will not post to other parts of the world.

Then you get some idiot usually from the USA and France for some reason asking how much will the postage be to the US or to France.

I understand the idea behind the policy, but I have had people say that shipping will be too much.  Well, if I'm willing to pay the shipping, isn't it I who would say if it would be too much for me to buy?  Now, perhaps shipping internationally is too much of a PITA, I can dig that.

When I sell I list North America only, and when I receive an international inquiry I inform the prospect that shipping will be more expensive due to cost as well as the time I need to take to fill out custom forms and what-not.  Sometimes they say never mind, and other times they're okay with it.  I have had several pleasant sales with this policy.

And you UKites can't horde all of the A500+ systems, darnit! :-P

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 01:34:12 AM »
jimbo100 wrote:
I have had many sales from all over the world but I have found the US people to be the most difficult and the ones who like to over inflat the postage!  It appears our US brothers are a tad greedy!

We're just cranky 'cuz of PATRIOT and the US$ being in the $hitter.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 01:48:37 AM »
TjLaZer wrote:

Of course everyone wants max money.  The only people that do not want max money are the filthy rich or people who are too busy to try to get the max money by setting up ebay auctions!

Given the choice of these two, I must fall into the later category, then.  I white-knuckle every month on paying the mortgage until my big customers can get back in the swing of things and start producing more billable hours.

Bottom line is, if you just want to make some room and want to help the community (of the item you are selling) you will post a free ad to give your item to anyone who wants it.  (like market place on here or Craigls List, etc)

Eh, I cannot totally agree with this.  How many people in the US are going to see my post on tallahassee.craigslist.org?  And I'm sorry to say that there are still a lot of Amiga-curious who do not visit AO.  eBay is fairly universal, and good sellers can find good buyers, and vice-versa.

Problem is the people who do end up getting it will part it out and sell it on ebay...

This has its good points as well.  Let's say you happen to have an A2500 and the accelerator is dead.  Well, the jerk that just parted out his A2500 and put the parts on eBay might just make your day.

eBay is a tool.  If you use it right it's great (finding rare vintage Amiga goodies) but it can royally suck (resellers parting and hiking up prices just to make an extra greenback)

HEAR HEAR!  I have killed off a couple of auctions because the price went far too high (if that sounds stupid, then I don't think you get it the way I do.)  I think I've mentioned this in another "eBay Sucks" thread: I do not welcome "collectors" whose sole purpose is to shelve the items they buy.  Rather, I want people who will use it until it dies.  Someone like me who has always wanted some model of the Amiga (I would have killed someone in front of their mother for a 1200 :-)) but did not have a couple or few hundred for a used model.  I finally got one about five years back for $65 and shipping.  And etcetera ad naseum.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 05:22:42 AM »
Ugh, reading his writing (righting) makes me cringe.  It's worse than (then) some of those 1337 kids.

And he's a dick.  But that's just my legally defensible personal opinion.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 07:16:13 PM »
doctorq wrote:

Learn how to bid then. Wait to the last 30 seconds to make your highest bid. If you don't win, get over it, and hope for better luck on another auction.

Garbage.  I will put a bid in for the highest price I will pay for an item up front.  If I get out-bid, then there's a happy seller and possibly a sucker buyer.  I don't have time to play BS games with snipers and idiots who will pay more for a used item than what you can get it for elsewhere (Elbox, Individual Computers, AmigaKit, et al.)

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:03:44 AM »
gdanko wrote:
What grinds my gears is people who get free gear locally then turn around and put it on eFraud for a pretty penny. That sounds like a Doomy move!

I have to admit that I'm about to do something like this.  I came across a guy that has just a disturbing amount of Amiga equipment in a shed that he's letting me take.  However, I am taking the time to clean and test the equipment before I send it out.  It's good stuff, and I feel honestly that my time is worth whatever the items will fetch on eBay, at the very least.

But then, I'm not picking up a known good, working system, raping it for parts, and then putting it on eBay for $100.