Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: eBay sucks!  (Read 7172 times)

Description:

Offline motrucker

Re: eBay sucks!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 12:07:18 AM »
@ gdanko

I don't like eBay, and I like Paypal even less. Paypal should a great idea, but since eBay owns it, it's the pits.
I won't say I never sell on eBay, but buying is another story. I usually try to sell stuff here, or amibench, or craigslit, or ????. eBay is the last resort.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 12:26:21 AM »
i never used ebay, i never used paypal, and i got all retro computers/consoles i wanted. the trick is to use alernative auction places, forums (as a.org/aw.net etc) and friends, its much cheaper also. so its possible to live without ebay........

:-)

Offline gdankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 12:37:19 AM »

A1260 wrote:
i never used ebay, i never used paypal, and i got all retro computers/consoles i wanted. the trick is to use alernative auction places, forums (as a.org/aw.net etc) and friends, its much cheaper also. so its possible to live without ebay........

:-)

Exactly my point. Some people insist eBay and Windows are necessary. This simply is not true. I have gotten more Amiga hardware than I know what to do with and none of it came from eBay. I have also been Windows-free since 1995 or so!

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 12:46:38 AM »
Some good points, but what do you expect, eBay reflects people in general, some are glad to clear out their garage and glad to help, others are after one thing and that is to make their wallet fatter.

Case in point with my latest eBay experience.  I bought a Toaster Flyer.  Been wanting one for ages.  I have no idea about the Flyer and what it entails.  I see the card comes with the Octapus SCSI cables.  I think cool I should be good.  Do some research and see there is a ribbon cable that attaches the Flyer to the Toaster.  I ask the seller if it comes with this cable, she looks into it and tells me that the cable does not come off the toaster, she tried to revove it but it won't come off. We go back and forth, I find out from Matt H on here that the Flyer cable is attached to a board on the Toaster card and you have to swap it out.  I tell her this, and offer to send her my BNC board for the cable.  She says this has gotten out of hand and that the original auction did not include the cable and that's that.  No deal sorry!  I say it's a waste to sell the Toaster card with this cable if the buyer will not need it.  She says "How do you know they might not need it?"  Hello did I not buy this card that needs this cable from YOU? (help out your customer) She said I can just take my chances and just bid on it.  I offer to buy her Toaster for an amount but she decides to list it on eBay instead, and get this!  Mentions it has the "rare" Flyer cable with BNC board!!

So you see a descent helpful person would of worked with me and said, sure lets swap the BNC board so you can use this Flyer card you just bought from me!  The other types, could care less.  This is the reason people hate eBay.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Opus

• Show only replies by Opus
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 01:28:18 AM »
hrmmm...I am selling something to someone, even if it is on ebay. So it was in fact a sale (the state of being purchasable; offered or exhibited for selling).  

I am not discounting your displeasure with the topic heading or ebay itself.  Just stating the way I see it.

:rtfm:

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 02:21:21 AM »
Well i know there are not many if any Amiga users in my city so Ebay is a good way for me to purchase things I want.  I look at feedback ratings and will put my max bid to what I want to pay for it.  There are games and stuff i just cant get here, and yes people here are great for trading and selling stuff, but I am not only an Amiga enthusiast and user but also a collector and the stuff I buy most people wouldn't want to get rid of because of how hard it is to find.  If you dont like Ebay fine, I'm not all that thrilled about it either, but I will admit that I do like being able to purchase items from almost anywhere.  i bought a few cd32 games from the UK, items from the US and even Australia, things i never would have been able to get in my city.  Cheers

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 02:54:25 AM »
Well, I refuse to patronize Amazon.com, so what there?

FA should head auctions, anyway.  Makes it easier to tell if something is available immediately.  But, we've already had a few "eBay is evil" discussions around these here parts, and they all read just the same as this one.  Pretty much like every flipping Doomy thread.

Laters... going to get some $.35 wings!  I'm starving...

Offline murple

• Show only replies by murple
    • http://www.murple.net
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 05:28:38 AM »
I agree with the FA: tag... but thats a separate issue from the suck/nonsuck of ebay. Its just clearer.

While I do think ebay has serious problems as well as advantages, I think its unfair to say that its all sellers' faults. Sure, there's probably a ton of ebay sellers buying Amigas at yard/estate sales and flea markets for $5 and selling them for $200... but the buyers on ebay are at least as much to blame as the sellers. The sellers can only sell for what people are willing to pay. As long as theres idiots who just NEED that 25th Amiga and are willing to drop an entire paycheck on it, things are gonna suck for people just trying to build one good system on a tight budget.

I dont know how to fix things, but I don't think its fair to blame only greedy sellers for the situation though.

Offline Tahoe

• Show only replies by Tahoe
    • http://www.amiga4ever.nl
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 07:26:51 AM »

gdanko wrote:

I am here to help the community.. not make tons of money on stuff that I know is hard to come by and at the same time in big demand.

Wanna help? Sell me that A3500  :-D   :laughing:   :knuddel:
Greetings from Wilnis, The Netherlands
Now owning ALL Amiga models and most; if not all; flavours of them...My Amiga Museum

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
You have to wonder...
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 10:07:43 PM »
There's an A2500 on eBay right now.  It was re-listed after not selling the first time for $99.95.  Now the seller has this:

I will not let this fabulous Amiga 2500 go for less then $99.95.  If it does not sell this time, I will just smash it up and throw it in the dumpster.  So, if you want this computer, bid on it.  The first time that I listed this Amiga 2500 computer 1317 people viewed it.  So, I know that this is a very desirable computer.  It is very clean and works great.

Personally, I don't think anything like this needs to be said.  I've re-listed items before because they didn't sell.  Sometimes the right buyer doesn't come around the first time.  No big deal.  I understand this guy probably doesn't want to keep hanging on to this unit and is ready to chuck it -- it doesn't need to be said.  And 1317 people were watching it, probably like me to see that it wouldn't sell for the $100 he was asking -- that doesn't need to be said either.  In short, don't chastise us because we didn't buy; just keep your attitude to yourself, re-list, and maybe the right buyer will come along.  Someone's bid on it this time, so good for you.

To me, this guy isn't in it for the Amiga so much as for the money.  If he was really trying to sell it to someone for the love of the machine, he'd let it go for less or at least not {bleep} about not getting $100 for it the first time.  Again, demand sets the market, and the first time there was no demand.  Now there is.

Offline TjLaZer

Re: You have to wonder...
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 10:13:03 PM »
If it does not sell this time, I will just smash it up and throw it in the dumpster.

Attitudes like this really piss me off!  He would rather smash it up and throw it away than offer it for less or even free to someone who can get some enjoyment out if it???

It's fine to have a reserve on what you wish to accept for it.  But to state that is just crap.  I guess he wants to force someone to buy it than to think of it being throw away?  I don't get it.

Even Doomy would not go as far as destroy a fabulous Amiga 2000 series computer!  He should just donate it to him or sell it to him for a fair price.   :rtfm:
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2007, 10:59:29 PM »

TjLaZer wrote:
If it does not sell this time, I will just smash it up and throw it in the dumpster.

Attitudes like this really piss me off!

Me too.

Seems like this is a new eBay seller. He hasn't specific about the shipping? These things might explain why no one was bidding on the 2500. He's got a couple of bids now so the machine is hopefully not going to get all smashed...if it survives the shipping.

Fester

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 11:18:03 PM »
I'd rate eBay far far ahead of anything else.

I put a Wanted up for a WHITE Amiga 600 on Amibench. I got a reply stating that a white 600 is available. The guy must have been blind because I received it and it was probably the most yellow Amiga 600 I have ever seen.

On eBay at least you can choose to look at what you are buying and leave negative feedback.
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 12:44:45 AM »

Tahoe wrote:

gdanko wrote:

I am here to help the community.. not make tons of money on stuff that I know is hard to come by and at the same time in big demand.

Get in line for that A3500 buddy. :lol:
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 02:53:08 AM »
 Not a new seller;more likely just one who knows how to push people's buttons.

I have met the same kind at flea market and WHEN they didn't get the asking price then into the trash at closing time.

It must be difficult to be an a*****e so consistently but some sellers manage.

Offline gdankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 04, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »

Tahoe wrote:

gdanko wrote:

No!