Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga world what's going on?  (Read 3967 times)

Description:

Offline McNorrisTopic starter

• Show only replies by McNorris
Amiga world what's going on?
« on: August 21, 2003, 04:28:40 AM »
I gotta tell ya.

I'm only here as a result of BeOSs unfortunate demise.
I honestly don't know if there is another person in my whole state who knows Amiga is still kickin' in any sense.

But then Amiga...
I am amazed that that it is kickin' at all.
It seems everytime I turn around it's more mayhem and mystery...

-That latest "don't run our OS on other machines" for Amiga inc.
-The problems kokogami was having with Morph's offical distrib.
-Merlancia stuff. Jeez and that gets real weird.
-Some people hate Peg.
-Some people hate A.inc.
-Some people don't like Amithlon.
-Amiga club vouchers.
-God there is a new one almost everyday -INSERT TOMORROWS HERE-

And it usually has something to do with the personalities behind the scenes. Sometimes it seems it is all over the (hallowed be thy name) "Amiga" the "Boing" logo. How many times can so many folks get burned before they just don't give a ####?

And in the meantime, I'm just a dude who wants SOMETHING to use. Something I can feel confident in paying money for!!! a company to trust?

This is not a cut on the Amiga folks out there (I consider myself one after a fashion of course), but this element of suspense did not and doesn't today exist in the BeOS world.

Is it just because Amiga has been around for a while?

Bewildered,
McNorris

P.S. Should I fork the dough and to the Morph thang?

I serious here?
Where to get the news that matters...
http://www.theonion.com...

Offline katos1

• Show only replies by katos1
Re: Amiga world what's going on?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 04:53:51 AM »
I think you are right!!  Their has been so much pain for Amigans thru the last 9 years, that nerves are overloaded and reactions are often based on raw emotion... totally ignoring What made Amiga and its community special in the first Place.  

Sure, why not buy a Peg just make sure you don't get one before Me ;)

... I believe in free choice... Amiga or Pegasos ... to each his/her own.

Offline Druideck

• Show only replies by Druideck
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 05:33:06 AM »
There is a great review of Morphos 1.4 on
OSNEWS.COM

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 08:19:19 AM »
Somebody could probably do a thesis on the psychology of the Amiga community. I expect to see that about the same time the soap opera/off-Broadway musical/inside-story book/etc. appears. I was into BeOS in a pretty big way, too, and understand what you're talking about. The company itself was quite dynamic, had articulate tech-savvy staff, and developers/users that either weren't dysfunctionally emotional about the platform or were just level-headed and practical. This elevated the whole thing beyond what we see here.

On the other hand, what we are involved in here is a phenomenon that goes beyond mere personal computing. In fact, I really think this is what keeps a lot of people around, people that aren't especially into using an Amiga computer even, people who mostly use Windows or whatever but enjoy the personality conflicts and drama of this little companies battling it out.

There were personality issues and corporate goofiness with the Be platform, too, especially in the latter stages, but the raw technology was always the main attraction. It hasn't been that way for the Amiga for a long, long time. Maybe once these products are out and when (or if) things proceed on their own inertia, then the heat will die down. But probably not. For one thing, the very existence of the companies involved will be uncertain for the foreseeable future. You can imagine certain scenarios in which things would be more stable, but they'd also be boring.

-- gary_c

Offline PulsatingQuasar

• Show only replies by PulsatingQuasar
    • http://none
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 08:45:14 AM »
The problems exists because we have a huge amount of twits in this community that think the way forward is bashing eachothers system/OS.

Ever noticed the way how good news recently is completely kicked to the curb by these morons. And it's pathetic aswell because many people I know don't come very often or not at all to these forums sites. I know severall with AmigaOne's that don't even come here. So much of this crap doesn't even reach the outside world.

You might say there are a lot of people in selfdestruct mode. Do I care? NO!

I have allways made up my own mind and that's why I have an AmigaOne. Shure, OS 4 isn't ready but if you have a brain and are able just to think a little bit then you would know that OS porting and design isn't an easy job and that programming in generall takes a very long time.

BlizzardPPC powered!!
AmigaOne-XE G3 800 MHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 8500, OS4

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 11:45:32 AM »

PulsatingQuasar wrote:
Shure, OS 4 isn't ready but if you have a brain and are able just to think a little bit then you would know that OS porting and design isn't an easy job and that programming in generall takes a very long time.

I use AMOS (stop throwing vegetables), and the amount of time I've spent trying to figure out why a pixel is/isn't where it's supposed to be ....aaaaarrrgggghhhhh!!!

Pirates should be forced to write code for a week! It's a pain, but ssoooo rewarding, too. And oh so addictive! Does anything like Coders Anonymous exist?

Hi McNorris,
So where else are you going to get as much entertainment before, during, and especially after spending your money?

entertaiment = drama,  mystery, confusion, passion, and comedy, accompanied with audience participation by aggravation, and ulcers

AmigaOne! Showpiece!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 11:51:45 AM »
If you like the look of MorphOS, get that. If you think AmigaOS4 might be cool, wait and make your mind up when you can try both.

In the meantime, sit back, eat some popcorn and enjoy the show.

Or ignore it totally and go here and here, have some laughs and forget all about computers, then come back once the Peg 2, and OS4 are out.

I look at it like this: I love using AmigaOS, all the fighting doesn't change that. At some point, it will die down, i'm sure.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 12:04:33 PM »

McNorris wrote:
P.S. Should I fork the dough and to the Morph thang?

I serious here?

Why not?
MorphOS looks like a good way to run old amigaprograms and it will run AROS in the future :-)
I think there is even a OpenBeOS port in the works.
It has almost as many supported OSes as a pc so if you want a PowerPCcomputer why not?
I´m gonna buy one as soon as i get the money, I´m feed up with PCbootup time just to run WinUAE.
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline r_o_o_s

• Show only replies by r_o_o_s
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2003, 12:35:22 PM »
Let's try to figure out what will come next. If the future is going to be anything like the past the next step would be something like: Amiga inc manages to bring MorphOS down by going to court. That, however, costs so much money that they have to postpone the release of OS4. Therefore Amiga inc parishes too. Somebody buys out the name Amiga after the liquidation and the OS4 beta becomes the mysterios peace of software that everybody talks about but no one can get the hold of since the new owners arn't interested in anything but selling their very nice furbie rip-offs in Spain and South america.

Offline tony23

• Show only replies by tony23
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2003, 12:48:46 PM »
I'll go with what XERON just said. Seems to make the most sense to me. :-)
Talk minus Action = Zero

Offline Dan

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2003, 12:51:36 PM »

r_o_o_s wrote:
Let's try to figure out what will come next. If the future is going to be anything like the past the next step would be something like: Amiga inc manages to bring MorphOS down by going to court. That, however, costs so much money that they have to postpone the release of OS4. Therefore Amiga inc parishes too. .

AInc doesn´t have anything to do with AOS4 other than the name. AOS4 is a Hyperion product.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2003, 12:59:24 PM »
IMHO:

There are two types of Amiga users:
1) Those who choose a system and respect others for their different choices
2) Those who want to be a real turd to anybody who just happens to be running a different brand of OS, and/or using a different machine

This second type is the problem with the Amiga community these days. Nothing more. Nothing less

-IMHO

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2003, 01:50:15 PM »
I've been an Amiga user since '88, but I only check out community sites now and again to see if OS4 is out. Iv'e been sick of all the bitch fighting over the last couple of years.

Offline Dan

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2003, 02:06:26 PM »
My status reached Cult Member during this, ironic isnt it? :roflmao:

Offline Blomberg

• Show only replies by Blomberg
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2003, 03:00:04 PM »
but this element of suspense did not and doesn't today exist in the BeOS world.
Oh, I don't know about that, there seems to be some people in the BeOS community (including one who runs a major news-site) who are intent on bringing one of the new BeOS initiatives down.
I haven't been in the BeOS community for a long time and i'm sort of watching it from the outside atm, but the first thing that struck me was the above mentioned and the fact that the still unreleased so-called successor to the BeOS claims to be done 'When It's Done' ... deja vu, anyone?