Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3  (Read 19553 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
My Win 7 box boots faster than this (and that can hardly be confused with a lean Amigoid system) but I suspect the poor speed is because of an unfinished state of the X1000/OS4.1.3 combo and that things will improve. As a reference, booting MorphOS on a Mac Mini is very close to instant after the firmware setup is finished; you see the blue butterfly splash screen for a second or so (you have hardly time to see what it is), and then it's done! :)

I suppose this is what they are about to ship to the paying "beta testers", but this X1000/OS4.1.3 combo doesn't quite seem to have reached beta stage yet, there seems to be some important development left still...?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;656465
But serial debug doesn't explain everything. When I used my Peg1 with serial debug enabled it didn't bot that slow.

Perhaps booting from a CD-ROM? Or no functioning DMA?

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 06:33:58 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;656478
+ 1.....it's in BETA people !

I don't think it looks like it is in a phase where testers would try to find the last bugs before the final release? It looks more like there still might be some actual development to do, not just beta testing? Can "serial debug" really be the whole answer to why it's *this* slow, or could it be that some drivers are simply not fully developed yet?

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;656528
Truth:
HW development started 2 years ago (or whenever they started babbling that "MAP" nonsense).

SW development started over 1 year ago (as prooven by showing it last summer).

It is slow, even with all things like heavy debug, PIO-mode or seriously underclocked CPU (why ?) considered.

Compare what is shown today with what was shown last year and then tell me what conclusion can be pulled from that evidence.

You mean like "what HW were they running back then, since OS4 runs like this on the X1000 today?"

Or perhaps it's reverse engineering, and I mean *literary* reverse engineering; like starting with a developed, fast product, and then "develop it in reverse" to become an undeveloped, slow product? :lol: :p ;)

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;656552
for me it is just inline with other amiga related ng projects such as natami or fpga arcade. not enough steady updates here, even though x1k still promisses best bang per buck, though with probably steeper investment ist the most risky alternative.

Wouldn't call neither the natami nor the fpga arcade "Amiga NG related", but rather an extension of the classic line where you use the "real" Amiga OS 3.x (with various additions to support new HW features of the natami). The AROS, MorphOS and OS4 projects clearly differs from this, different ambitions altogether.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:20:47 PM »
Quote from: danwood;656735
Update 3 for OS 4.1 is out now:

http://hyperion-entertainment.biz/

http://i.imgur.com/Ti23B.png

Seems like they skipped the beta testing phase entirely in OS4.1.3 judging by the reception it got...

Maybe if they had *really* spent "just another two more weeks" they could have reached the "When it's done!" :lol: ;)

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;656888
Most computing just doesn't need a top speed CPU.

I agree. I would happily use MorphOS on this one (the first one of course, not the second! ;))

On par with a Sam440. And this $129 complete system is absolutely worth its price. Add to those benchmarks the fact that it has a NEON SIMD (think Altivec) and various on-chip HW accelerators to speed up things like media encoding/decoding, and that Floating Point is actually handled by HW soon (an ARM Linux limitation until recently).

This proves that low performing Sam/EfikaMX class HW doesn't have to be expensive, yet it will "fly" with an Amigaoid OS. Looking forward to see AROS on that one. :)

what exactly are you doing on Amiga that requires such speed?

Heavy media files (movies) comes to mind. But the first option in the comparison above will handle this with the apropriate drivers. And then at least I have 99% of my needs covered, by a $129, low performance computer! :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 01:28:55 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;656908
No doubt the EfikaMX is a great board, I would love one, maybe I'll buy one. I would love to see MorphOS and Aros both running on the SAM and X1000 too, choice is a good thing.

Now however you've gone and forced me to reveal a little about what I think Hyperion should have done. That's have a good long chat with Genesi.....

...oh well, such is life.

ARM has its brightest future ahead.

PPC left its behind.

:)

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 02:59:39 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;656923
If you exclude games consoles, and you shouldn't as they are very popular computer platforms. Granted they are very optimized for a specific purpose but mass chip sales still drives down prices whatever box they come in, console or otherwise. PowerPC is far from dead.

Yes, I didn't mean that the PPC per se is dead, only its use in the kind of applications that's interesting to us. Apple were the last desktop and laptop manufacturer, and since Apple left, the whole PPC business changed focus. The future for PPC is in various embedded applications now, routers, printer servers, automotive, etc (and by all means, game consoles).

Already at this moment, ARM chips (Cortex A9) are *on par* with PPC G4 performance wise, and upcoming Cortex A15 will introduce a whole new level of performance and features, making it suitable for servers/desktops etc. And in a few years from now, nVidia will release their own ARM CPU's, what they themselves call "x86 killers", especially targeted towards high-end desktop, workstation and server markets. More manufacturers are bound to follow, that's the beauty of ARM's license based business model. And even Microsoft is on the train, and will release Windows 8 for ARM! So ARM definitely has its future ahead of it! :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 06:01:02 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;656956
Eh, these things tend to move in cycles. ARM, for instance, was Acorn's desktop architecture, then Acorn's desktop line died off and it found its bread and butter in embedded applications for many years, then it started popping up in handheld devices (GBA, iPhone and now just about every smartphone,) and all of a sudden it's popular again and possibly on the verge of breaking back into the (low-end) desktop market. PPC has already gone from desktop to embedded to game consoles, who's to say it won't make a similar comeback?

It's not "a cycle thing".

ARM's design allow low power consumption and cool computing. That was an enabler for mobile devices, an area which has had a tremendous growth. That, coupled with ARM's license based business model that allows companies to combine ARM's core design with other controllers to make their own CPU chips, is what really makes the opportunity. Look at Apple (with iPhone and iPad - all ARM!) and the Tegra based devices (and most other mobile devices as well). The future ARM designs scales heavily upwards in performance, while still being low Watt and low temp, and nVidia (and probably others as well) will really create a big bang when they release the really high performance stuff. Rumors has it that Apple has an ARM based laptop coming soon. Windows 8 (and Office, etc) will be ARM. It will boom, it will cover everything to the tiniest, most ultra mobile device, up to the fattest workstation and servers, and it will be the same ISA.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/01/project-denver-processor-to-usher-in-new-era-of-computing/

nVidia: "Denver frees PCs, workstations and servers from the hegemony and inefficiency of the x86 architecture. For several years, makers of high-end computing platforms have had no choice about instruction-set architecture. The only option was the x86 instruction set with variable-length instructions, a small register set, and other features that interfered with modern compiler optimizations, required a larger area for instruction decoding, and substantially reduced energy efficiency.

Denver provides a choice. System builders can now choose a high-performance processor based on a RISC instruction set with modern features such as fixed-width instructions, predication, and a large general register file. These features enable advanced compiler techniques and simplify implementation, ultimately leading to higher performance and a more energy-efficient processor.

Microsoft’s announcement that it is bringing Windows to ultra-low power processors like ARM-based CPUs provides the final ingredient needed to enable ARM-based PCs based on Denver. Along with software stacks based on Android, Symbian, and iOS, Windows for ultra-low power processors demonstrates the huge momentum behind low-power solutions that will ultimately propel the ARM architecture to dominance."

But that's "Denver", a future thing - But do you want to see "Windows 8" (development version of Windows) running on *current* ARM-technology?

Well, Fast Forward to 1.10:

[youtube]lRPh4kJpeSA[/youtube]

I'm sorry, but I don't see remotely the same momentum happening on the PPC platform.

Apple was the last one who left. Now it's all about routers and automotive. Which is a huge market as well, but hardly very interesting to us...

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 07:07:18 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;657306
X1000 is a long way off from crushing Morphos 2.x on a PMAC

At $3000, it never will. As simple as that.