Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How fast is MorphOS?  (Read 6751 times)

Description:

Offline Cymric

• Show all replies
Re: How fast is MorphOS?
« on: August 02, 2003, 05:07:58 PM »
@Dietmar:

Dear lord. And then to think we once thought the A3000 to be the hottest thing since sliced bread... How did we ever manage with those machines?
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Cymric

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 09:01:46 PM »
Kronos wrote:
... Lot of SW spends most of the time in OS-functions, and those are PPC-native even if the SW is only 68k. GoldED/MorphED is a perfect example for that, and feels faster than on Amithlon (AthonXP1600)  :-D

I think that GoldED, like any other event-driven program, spends most of its time waiting for user input rather than in OS-functions. I also think that much of speed gain you feel is simply the fact of having a 600 MHz CPU at your disposal, with a flat Amiga-like memory space. (I'm not sure though, the feature list of MorphOS is inconclusive as to what kind of virtual memory/memory protection it offers. Can some kind soul please explain?) But it's definitely nice to see that old programs just breeze along. Now hope and pray that once people start developing seriously, and taking advantage of CPU speed, programs continues to breeze ;-).
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Cymric

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 12:38:56 PM »
downix wrote:
the MOS VM system is not yet in the public release.  When it is included, more detail will be provided.

Well, that's the not-yet-included VM subsystem---what does MorphOS do currently? Is it flat, or paged? Or perhaps a combination? (While it's too bad that there isn't any more information available, I respect that decision. There has been too much flaming going on regarding VM on the Amiga anyway.)

Offline Cymric

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 12:48:31 PM »
@Dietmar:

Yes, of course, that's the challenge of an editor: do as much as possible in as little time as you can. But as I understood the original statement is that it was claimed---or at least hinted at---that the efficiency of the OS (functions) was the root cause for GoldED's speed. While in fact it is simply the 600 MHz of computing power, as you so clearly explained. I must say that what you wrote down surprised me: a 600 MHz CPU not yet fast enough for an editor...? Wow. You did a helluva job on the original then, which ran very well on my A4000. Then again, I suspect the program has evolved considerably since I last used it.