Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How fast is MorphOS?  (Read 6747 times)

Description:

Offline Targhan

• Show all replies
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
Re: How fast is MorphOS?
« on: August 02, 2003, 05:19:31 PM »
Gyah!!!  3.5 hours... geez, that is some compile time! (the A3000).

I think everyone is sitting on pins and needles waiting for MorphOS1.4 to make it's appearance. :-)

But to the original question, MorphOS (1.3) is very quick.  I suspect 1.4 with the Trance JIT will scream.  One can simply go to the AmiGOD website and confirm this.  A G3 Pegasos and some 2+ Ghz Amithlon based PC have been banging it out for the top spot there.  I even submitted my numbers to the site :-)
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Targhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 05:24:13 PM »

The AmiGOD 2 Benchmark Page is a good place to look at system performance for Amiga(like) systems.

Have fun! :-D
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Targhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 07:51:22 PM »
@Dan
Sorry, what I meant was that Morphos without JIT is equal in speed to UAE with JIT on a MHz for Mhz basis, meaning that a 1Ghz Pegasos would be as fast as my 1Ghz PC?

First, you must understand that speed is dependant on many things beyond just MHz.  As a member of the amiga community you must realize this.  A 40Mhz 040 based A4000 will smoke any 40Mhz 486 system.   Unfortunately, in today's world this is further complicated beyond simple differences in the CPU.

My 600Mhz/G3 Pegasos smokes my 950Mhz Celeron PC for *most* tasks.  When running Amithlon (w/JIT) against my non-JIT install of MorphOS (same PC, just amithlon instead of windows) the speeds are comparable in most instances, with one or the other getting the nod of better performance depending on what I'm doing.  Unfortunately, my mileage may not match with your mileage.

The reason?  Speed isn't about MHz anymore.  You have memory speed, bus speed, harddrive speed, the graphics card speed, and all of that before getting into the CPU's cache sizes, which can make a world of difference depending on the application.  (Try encoding a video on a 1ghz celeron vs a 1ghz PIII.  Remember, they ARE the same CPU with different cache sizes.)

Thus, it becomes very difficult to make any blanket statements.  With that said, UAE has to sit on a host OS (windows, linux, etc), so it has some drawbacks right out of the gate.  However, in the end, it will still depend on who built the system, how careful they were with selecting parts, etc.  I have seen 1Ghz PIII's outperform 1.7 Ghz P4's due to the configuration of the other parts in the system.  In the end, my earlier statement stands.  Visit the AmiGOD2 statistics site if you want to see test results.

:-)
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Targhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 07:09:48 AM »
For the sake of comparison (and we knew this was coming), I am posting my AmiGOD2 results from MorphOS 1.3, and the new numbers from MorphOS 1.4 with JIT. (G3/600MHz, Radeon 7000)
----------------------------------

MorphOS 1.3
2D GFX: 50506
Math 68k: 184
Intuition: 811
Memory: 555

MorphOS 1.4
2D GFX: 52433
Math 68K: 645
Intuition: 2011
Memory: 625

--------------

Amiga 4060/50MHz, Piccaso II

2D GFX: 1794
Math68k: 54 (native)
Intuition: 119
Memory: 8

--------------

Your numbers may vary, but that's what I have on my MorphOS machine.  The numbers from the 4000 come from the AmiGOD2 page (Don Cox's A4000 tests, number 17).  My 1.3 numbers are on the same page (Number 4).

Regards,
Targhan