Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros Raspberri Pi  (Read 3725 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellsl

Re: Aros Raspberri Pi
« on: October 31, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;751563
There's no such thing as an usable native port.
There are Linux-hosted versions wich I won't use because they depend on bloated and slow X11.

You're being quite dishonest by making such a statement or you're very ill informed.  AROS hosted is quite usable on the Pi as shown by the video on the Raspberry Pi site http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=COUrcZat6oc

Video acceleration is missing at the moment but that can be said for ALL Amigas if you want to get technical about it, even NG Amigas which have extremely limited 2D/3D acceleration.  

The native version is also quite usable but is missing audio and network drivers at the moment. http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64451

More detailed tech info about native AROS on Pi can be found here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/Arm_Raspberry_Pi_support
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:40:18 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 11:25:35 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;751569
Usability is a relative term: for me, an slow and tearing desktop enviroment is unusable.
And X11 on the Pi has both problems.
Amiga-like OS should never be hosted, it makes no sense at all, except for porting efforts and  debugging. It's an ugly solution.
And while a classic amiga graphics system isn't "accelerated" in a modern way, it is for blitting operations AND can provide tear-free, smooth screen updates. That's an integral part of the Amiga experience. Good luck getting a single program to update the screen in a proper, tear-free way in anything under X11 on a Raspberry Pi :D
X11 is just the opposite thing. On the Pi, there won't be accelerated X11. Never. They've bypassed the lame and broken X11 pile of poo and aiming for wayland graphics server, wich runs happily here too.

Oh, and those so-called NG Amigas have no meaning to me. Expensive computers on dead architectures for running the same open source apps I can run on my GNU/Linux box ten times faster. The ONLY future Amiga has is AROS and FPGA reimplementations.

I'm not being dishonest and I am well informed.

All very good points and I admit that I agree with you in regard to NG Amigas and I find it hard to believe what people will pay for an underpowered, over priced X1000 or a SAM.  I also agree that the future is with AROS and FPGA.  The cost of developing OS4 on an ever decreasing pool of specialized CPUs will drive the cost of NG Amigas to even more astronomical prices, and eventually OS4 and NG Amigas will be priced out of existence. It's on the verge of extinction now in spite of all the latest announcements about new hardware, SMP, etc.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
Quote from: phoenixkonsole;751722
@gaula92
i think we are talking about x11 in general..

So i just tell you that you can't "judge" it for the bad performance on rpi.

On any other device, may it ARM, x86, ppc or whatever, X11 runs fast.

Check this and cry:
https://developer.nvidia.com/content/kayla-platform

This is a ARM device in desktop league.

Cubie is nice since it gives better performance than a SAM for around 80 bucks (including PSU, sdcard)
X11 flies, check cubieez.

All have X11 drivers and so X11 is not bad.

Wayland without drivers sucks totally... Means.
Instead of wasting time with waylaid, people should just create X11 compatible drivers.

Wayland is not as bloated because it has no "history". X11 supports any HW since the beginning of Linux. Wayland doesn't. Less features, less compatibility = smaller footprint. Is it really better? Depends on what you use Linux and if you need old stuff to work. I could accept wayland when it proves good backward-compatibility with the Xwayland wrapper.

PS: the vidio i saw was a few weeks old. So yes i judge, because it runs on a defined HW called rPi.

Native AROS x86 with nVidia GPU accleration simply flies when I run it on my 7 year old laptop w/GeForce Go5200.  I would imagine that a native ARM version with 2D/3D acceleration using Tegra or Mali would also be jaw dropping when compared to classic and NG Amigas graphically. Not to mention the price comparison(s) to NG Amigas....that would be jaw dropping as well.  It seems that the critics of AROS running natively on ARM or x86 consist mostly of folks who have an economic interest in NG Amigas.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;751750
Well that is odd.
I thought you had a fairly negative opinion about NG systems.

Frankly, I'd tend to agree with you that ARM seems to be the truly promising ISA for these systems.

As much as I like A-eon's designs, the pricing of new PPC systems puts them out of the reach of most of us.

On the other hand, I have a quad core A9 based appliance that was really cheap and it flies.

No, I had a PegII Open Desktop Workstation and I loved it.  I paid $700 for it back in 2009 direct from Bill Buck's final production run.  I couldn't justify keeping it around just for the light office-use that it was performing so I finally ended up selling it on eBay in 2012 for the same price I paid for it.  Talk about maintaining good resale value!  You won't see that often with computers.

My only gripe with NG Amigas is with the X1000.  It was designed, produced and sold years after my PegII was discontinued, but costs 500% more than my PegII. The PegII also outperforms it based on the few benchmarks numbers that I've seen. I also had licenses for MOS and OS4 and can verify that OS4 was a dog compared to MOS.  On my PegII, OS4 was much slower than MOS and MOS had/has a much more polished look and feel.  MOS also had better hardware support for USB.  Nearly every USB device plugged in while running OS4 caused OS4 to become so unstable that it wasn't usable.  I finally just stopped using OS4 and stuck with MOS exclusively.

I expect that the successor to the X1000 will also be an extremely overpriced, underpowered POS.  Right now, the future of Amiga-like operating systems is with AROS. A-Eon/Hyperion will price themselves out of business if they continue down their current path. Long live AROS.