Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ownership of amiga.org?  (Read 36579 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Owner ship of amiga.org?
« on: June 10, 2014, 02:22:56 PM »
I'm sure this didn't happen overnight.  That being said, I've never had anything but good experiences with Trevor and his company, or Amigakit for the most part.

But, and I'm sure you saw this coming, there is a point to be made.  I do find it a little low *if* the most recent pledge drive for donations by "SysAdmin" and crew occurred while a buyout/takeover was being brokered with the new ownership.  A.org isn't a charity case, anyone with half a brain can do basic analytics math on the clickthru links and figure out the site may not be making people rich, but it's not a loss leader.

If I'd given cash to support the site only to see it taken over without virtually any notice or discussion and I didn't care for the new owners or the lack of transparency by the most recent owners, I'd be a bit chuffed.  This being said, if you don't like something, go elsewhere or start your own alternative I suppose.  Do I think the new owners will screw the place up?
I do not, but these people do have interests of their own and having a corporate entity on the masthead will have some effects on principle alone.  Just like people would be a bit troubled if their local hospital was to suddenly be bought out by Pfizer, there's some conflict of interests involved - but it's not my site to run, so fair dinkum.  That A-EON tag will have some effects even if nothing else changes here, for better or for worse.  I hope the place remains as well balanced as it is, but as much as I gripe about the blue camp fanatics fighting with the red camp fanatics, I do worry that the Bluecrew will see this as a sell-out of their platform neutral forum that is A.org.

$16 a month will get you a host with unlimited bandwidth and better uptime anyways, when it comes down to brass tacks if one chooses to take their business elsewhere or start their own offering.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
Re: Ownership of amiga.org?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »
Glad to see the adverts going away, at least in the incarnation they were in previously.  It was just too blatant and not at all beneficial to the users here, I honestly found them more invasive and completely unrelatable than Facebook's.  I don't mind seeing adverts if they are at all related to the peoples interests.  You'd click a supposed computer link and get dumped to some auction on ebay with a guy selling vintage beer caps or a used toaster or something.

I don't begrudge anyone running clickthroughs on their forums to support the site, but there's better ways of doing it than what we had.  With or without corporate support, a site isn't free to run, and well placed ads are more than a good trade off.  It costs you money to run the site that we all love, after all.

Thanks for keeping us posted, Trevor.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
Re: Owner ship of amiga.org?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »
Quote from: Megamig;766222
Hopefully the new owners will lift the standard on this forum.

Irrelevant talk about MS Surface Tablets and the 99 cent eBay nagger have really let this forum down in recent times.

God forbid people just not read the sections or posts they aren't interested in.  Personally, I come to A.org because there's discussion on topics other than just ones based on machines that stopped being manufactured 20 years ago.

I find it easier to just not read the things that I'm not personally interested in, and I don't see much creative criticism in slamming said topics or posters/threads.  But c'est la vie, I guess.