Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Hyperion really killing Amiga  (Read 5579 times)

Description:

Offline alexTopic starter

• Show only replies by alex
    • http://www.never2funky.com
Is Hyperion really killing Amiga
« on: June 04, 2003, 07:45:30 PM »
Get your flame throwers ready, but I'm thinking that I realize that Hyperion has it's reasons for delaying AOS4, but in the process of the delay, Amiga, Inc is going under from the lack of much needed funds and Eyetech can't just sit on hardware forever without cash.

I would think that is Aos 4 were out even in a Mac OS X style when they did their first 1.0 release with some acceptable shortcomings but followed by a free update, this would at least get needed revenue into the hands of all involved.

Right now they are in the catch-22 death sipral.  No money so development is delayed and resources are diverted to income projects, but the delay is killing the future cash from sales.

At the end of the day, it looks like Amiga, Inc. will be dead and Eyetech will be sitting on overpriced hardware unable to buy new hardware components at todays prices because they can't get rid of what they have or afford to buy new.

Add to that MOS/Pegasos is nipping at their heals and the ONLY reason I haven't just gone for their solution is because I can't get my hands on them.

This should be a lesson the the MOS crew, take advantage of the situation now as you might not have the chance later.

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
Re: Is Hyperion really killing Amiga
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 07:48:56 PM »
And what would Hyperion gain from this ? An OS with no hardware platform ?
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 07:52:34 PM »
@alex

dont be daft releasing incomplete software that is unstable would kill the amiga although how do you kill something that has been dead for a while. :-?  :-o
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline FAC

• Show only replies by FAC
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 07:54:08 PM »
Well I will not get my flame thrower ready because you have quite a point here. Everybody needs funds and those can't be made before OS 4.0 hits the stores.

BUT there is no point in sending out a half finished OS either. Imagine what buyers (hopefully also outside the community) will think when they see a OS with a lot of errors and problems. That will not give any funds either.

So you're got a point, but I would say it's a no win situation.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 07:55:18 PM »
As Idea goes.. Not a new one..

I thought this some time ago but IMHO it's not woth of hassle to Hyperion because it would result too much uncertanity. Ainc is total loss but killing it for good would cause them more problems than keeping them 'alive' as a facade..

And for being late.. Well... It's way too easy to underestimate work required, especially if you have not done simnilar things before.  And they have not, but they have learned a lot since last summer..  We'll see when they are ready to deliver.

(edit.. some typos fixed.. and new added)  :-D

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 07:59:06 PM »
Hyperion aren't delaying OS4, IMO. They just totally underestimated the task that it would be, and totally underestimated the problems in coding in 68k and recompiling for PPC. "Just change some flags and recompile." It didn't ever work that way. Ever.

Offline alx

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2003, 08:00:23 PM »
Hyperion killing Amiga?  IMO it's the opposite - while A inc and others have certainly not helped, Hyperion seem to have been steadily developing away on the new OS.  Fast?  Certainly not - but I cannot see how they could speed it up (to get more developers, they'd have to have people doing other things like porting games).

A half-baked AmigaOS would be terrible.  For one thing, it would immidiately convince many people to go over to other solutions.  And can you imagine the headlines on OSNews etc?  "After ten years the new Amiga is out.  And it sucks".  Since it's taken them so long, it's far better to wait a little more and have a brilliant OS.

Anyway, I cannot see what they could do to cut corners.  AFAIK the main work now is to port the modules to PPC and bug check.  If they aren't ported then it'll be slow.  If they are buggy, then it'll be slow and unreliable - not something that AmigaOS is known for.

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 08:02:32 PM »
Maybe it would have been faster to program if they had had hartge and partners source code to os 3.9?  :-?  :-D
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Hardboy

• Show only replies by Hardboy
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2003, 08:20:14 PM »
If you ask me, then they have put to many new things to OS4.0. Looking at the feature list clearly shows that many new features have come.

Instead, they should only have converted existing code to PPC and released, but thats not the way things go...

Hopefully, OS4.0 will soon be out - allthough not for my BPPC :(

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2003, 08:22:23 PM »
Is Hyperion really killing Amiga?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

-edit-

I seriously doubt that any harm that may be caused by the delay would be intentional.

Way to spread XXX :-)

-edit 2-

XXX? What happened to Fear Uncertianty and Doubt? :-)
int p; // A

Offline HyperionMP

• Show only replies by HyperionMP
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2003, 08:36:23 PM »
The reason why OS 4 has taken so long has nothing to do with moving 68K to PPC.

The fact that you can simpy recompile 68K code for PPC still stands.

The fact of the matter is that our design and especially  the emulation concept is by far superior to other solutions currently available on the market which use some kind of sandbox approach.

In fact, quite a few MorphOS adepts went on record to state that it couldn't even be done.

Well, it has been done although it has taken us far longer that we would have liked.

During the OS 4 development period, Hyperion has only needed to generate sufficient revenue from other projects to keep development going.

In fact, we ported 2 Mac titles, 1 Amiga title and did the firmware for the AmigaOne hardware.

We have also been confronted with companies defaulting on their contractually agreed payments and royalties to us which have further added to the problem.

Still, if you consider how long MorphOS has been in development, we're still doing very well.

Offline Edit-Chick

• Show only replies by Edit-Chick
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2003, 08:42:46 PM »
And in the words of David Essex....

[color=FF0000]Rock On[/color][/b][/i]

Hyperion !!  

:-D

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2003, 08:45:57 PM »
@EditChick

What anime series or game did you get your avatar from? :-)
Regards,
Targhan

Offline jd997uk

• Show only replies by jd997uk
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2003, 08:58:36 PM »
@alex

Why on earth would Hyperion want to delay the release of OS4? They are/have been funding the work themselves, on a limited budget. Any delays have been pretty much out of their control, with the exception of the BIOS work, which was pretty much a must-have anyway (and of course, speeded up delivery of the A1's).
If you scout around the Amiga news sites, you'd have seen that the OS is not quite in a releaseable state, to the point of not really even being a proper 'Beta' release. However, the OS4 roadshow will be able to display for all to see that work has been done (both on the surface and under the skin). This will also give people a chance to see that Hyperions way of implementing their 68k emulator does work.
I'm sure anyone involved in the Amiga market today is neither blind or stupid enough to think that the streets of Amigaland are paved in gold. Those that are around now know it's along, hard slog to earn a few crumbs and Amiga sales alone cannot support even the most tightly run business's.
You can bet your bottom dollar that both Alan at Eyetech and Ben at Hyperion could both easily be certified insane at what many would call 'Suicidal' business decisions in getting involved in this project.
Don't think that any royalties received from Amigaone/OS4 sales will make a huge difference to where Amiga Inc stand today; they will stand or fall on their AmigaDE alone, as OS4 was never ever mentioned when they were touting for investors. Eyetech have a long term view as to what is possible and anyone with an iota of common sense woud know the the current phase is to suit existing Amiga users only. As and when a more feature rich (OS4.1) OS is available, along with alternative hardware, more mainstream consumers will be targeted.
If you want to compare OS4 to OSX consider this (from a release stand point only, NOT from a technical or feature list angle):
OS4 will be a .0 release (ie OS4.0), which will have certain aspects of it either not implemented, or not as functional as some would like. This compares to the state of OSX that you mentioned. To release OS4 now would be total madness in it's incomplete state.
The whole idea is to get all the features working that were listed by Hyperion. Docs will then become available to support the programming community and enable a new wave of applications to support the new hardware and OS features.
Until this happens, Eyetech will sell amigaones with Linux to run on, to those who want them . Hyperion have always stated that OS4 will be released 'When It's Ready' (tm) and not before.
It's your choice if you want to go down the MOS route. It's a free world (etc, etc) so your choice is your own and no one has any right to tell you anything else.
But those of us that are patient enough to wait some more, will wait for OS4.

-john
Don\\\'t panic - bite the towel.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2003, 09:14:57 PM »
@ alex

Add to that MOS/Pegasos is nipping at their heals and the ONLY reason I haven't just gone for their solution is because I can't get my hands on them.

If you want a Pegasos, drop a mail to GGS Data. They still seem to have some in stock. This will also qualify you for the €200 Pegasos2 G4 upgrade! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)