Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sad  (Read 8770 times)

Description:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
Re: Sad
« on: May 11, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;786281
Here is a theory: the people who complain about the X1000 price can't afford one, and rather than complaining about how they ended up in a dead end, low paying job due to a lack of a work ethic or not getting good grades in school, they whine over the cost of a computer.  It is obvious that they want to be able to own one, but can't make the money to afford one.

So rather than going for the "sour grapes" basis of existence and showing that their poor choices in life are their own fault, they should spend their time trying to make more of their pathetic little lives.

I haven't looked at X1000 related stuff in a while (in fact, I was pretty sure they weren't being sold anymore, but imagine my surprise!  And now under 3 grand!  whoopee!) but it hasn't really changed since its debut.  In the end its a machine to run AOS4, one of three that you can still buy new (sam440, sam460 and x1000) and certainly the most expensive.

If you go with the "blah blah blah its a hobby GFY I can spend what I want" argument, then the x1000 is a great purchase for a great hobby for a great OS.  If you are a little more nuanced with your observations, you may notice that while it may run "faster" than a SAM460, it doesn't really perform that much better - the limiting factor being the software, of course (this assumes you're not running Linux on it - and you aren't, right?).

taking that back a step, for 2700 dollars I could get a decent A4000 or A1200 bare off amibay (or evilbay, lets go with 300 bucks or so, assuming USD and us ebay.  It would be even easier if in GB, as they have all the good stuff).  2400 dollars left...hmm.  Lets go mediator + radeon + spider + soundblaster (call it 500 bucks for easy math).  1900 bucks left.  How about a great indivision 2 AGA (Just because) and a bigram plus at 256MB (lets call that about 500 as well).  1400 bucks...  Well, we can cyberstalk the markets for a 060/PPC card for it ( last one I saw went for around 1200 bucks).  That leaves 200 bucks left over for whatever (maybe a nice Amigakit recapping?).  This assumes you are loading up an A4000.  I think the price might be lower for a 1200.  

So, hey!  Good on you for dropping that money on an X1000!  that just means more classics for me :).

And if I ever get a huge hankering for a next generation amigaOs like, I know that its only 111 euros + the cost of a PPC macmini away :lol: