Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any SGI fans?  (Read 8157 times)

Description:

Offline MiAmigo

• Arbiter of Succession
    • Show only replies by MiAmigo
Re: Any SGI fans?
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 09, 2014, 05:56:49 AM »
Sorry for the late-ish response everybody, but the Forum Gods forgot to tell me there were new posts related to my post.

The system I purchased (on EBay, of course) came with a Debian Linux disk, and three big fat system manuals. (Two were different versions of the same book).

I also took pains to download every bit of info I could find on the system, which resulted in over 100 PDFs at last count.

I ALSO queried SGI for a service contract quote, just out of curiosity. The first quote they gave me was hysterical - over $44K! Once I explained to them that I was merely a poor schmuck who had rescued a derelict system from EBay, they gave me a 'much better' quote of only $4K.

If I wanted to have them send a guy out to give the system the once over, I would have to pay to fly him to Chicago, since they have no local office in the Midwest (!), then pay at least $500.00 for him to step into my door, and about that much per hour to inspect the system, minimum amount, 2 hrs. worth! (I'm presuming I wouldn't also have to get the guy laid, but who knows?)

The system itself was in decent shape, once I removed the crate, which weighed over 300 lbs all by itself. (It has a door with a built in steel ramp for unpacking and installation.) There were some dings and bruises, and some of the plastic port grills (that cover the power bays and such like) had been loosened and shattered.

The system had been in storage for about 3-4 years, and originated from Wichita State University, where it was called 'Jupiter'. I renamed it 'COLOSSUS', a fitting name, considering the size.

The first hurdle was getting it delivered. It required at least 8ft of overhead clearance, and the garage door to my workshop ('Utopia Planitia') has that and maybe a half an inch to spare. It also required a certain amount of floor space, front, back, and sides.

The first week it was supposed to be delivered, we had three blizzards, and I (eventually) had a death in the family, which resulted in over 3 weeks of re-schedulings and aborted delivery attempts by the freight company.

When the delivery guy finally showed up, he 'chickened out' and refused to delivery. (The crate was much too big and heavy at well over 2000 lbs, and HE was really old and frail. And his boss said he was a chronic complainer.)

Finally got the thing delivered when the weather cleared up, and after my family obligations were completed, and the freight company sent their best guy - a wiry old dude whom I dubbed the 'Rambo' of delivery guys. He slung that monster crate around as deftly as a really big carton of eggs, slid it into the shop, right into place, and drove off into the sunset! :laughing: (At one point we had a scary moment as he was using a pallet jack to roll it to the lift gate. He came so perilously close to the edge, I thought he'd dump it on myself and my son for sure! Doing the fatherly thing, I pushed my son out of the way, even though we were both supposed to 'walk our hands up the crate' as the driver lowered it, to make sure it didn't prematurely tip off the truck. Needless to say, I survived!)

I spent the next several weekends getting the crate open (sans the 'official uncrating instructions'), inspecting the system, contracting an electrician for the system's massive power requirements (and having him think I was either crazy or working with the NSA), and assessing what the system needed.

I also spent many nights reading documentations and working on my other project, the Beowulf Plateau.

Right now I'm shopping for that R-Brick replacement, and finagling the system into direct video output in addition to using a dumb terminal. I also have my eyes on a couple of other 'supercluster' machines, an SGI, and a (gasp!) Cray!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:46:44 AM by MiAmigo »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »
@ MiAmigo

Great! I say some references to Debian for Itanium, but I didn't know if it would support something this complex.
I really wish I had a spare two grand (plus a huge amount for shipping from the wrong coast).
Over 300GB of memory and 72 cores?
Sheesh!

Any photos of the native display?
What can you run on it?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 09:01:51 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;765972
Nothing that good.
Right now, I have been focusing on decrypting, and resizing/re-encoding software.
Since I used to edit 16mm film, I would like to get some decent software for editing HD video (other than the cheap stuff I have on hand), but I am not sure when I would get a chance to use it.

Any recommendations?
You have a lot more experience with digital video editing than I do.

On SGI (Irix) or Linux Flame works great but has a learning curve. On Windows the following software solution works good.

http://www.newtek.com/component/content/article/62-tricaster-accessories/388-tricaster-speededit.html

On Windows the following hardware/software solution works good.

http://www.newtek.com/products/tricaster-40.html

Several versions of the TriCaster are available, the more you spend the better they get.

On OS X this works great.

http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/

Offline MiAmigo

• Arbiter of Succession
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2014, 09:02:34 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;766025
@ MiAmigo

Great! I say some references to Debian for Itanium, but I didn't know if it would support something this complex.
I really wish I had a spare two grand (plus a huge amount for shipping from the wrong coast).
Over 300GB of memory and 72 cores?
Sheesh!

Any photos of the native display?
What can you run on it?

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the display, as I have pulled the system apart to service a few issues, chief among them the replacement of one of the R-Bricks.

The thing to keep in mind about purchasing these systems pretty much 'sight unseen' from EBay is that usually, they have not been stored correctly (temperature, space, and dust-wise), and may have sat in these environs for months, if not years. (Unless you get lucky enough to get your hands on one 'fresh' from the lab or server room, as it were.)

So, even though the seller (who knew nothing about these systems, other than he had one he desperately wanted to get rid of!)  assured me it was in 'perfect working order' when he got it, I assumed the worst, and knew I had my work cut out for me.

What entailed after the uncrating (an adventure it itself!), was a complete inspection of all the 3700's subsystems for damaged or worn parts, potential electrical issues, and just missing 'stuff'. Believe me, I found plenty of all of those, but nothing insurmountable.

Once I finally did get it up and running, I was glad to find that all of the processor cores worked, there were no RAM failures, and at first, no communication issues between bricks, that is, until the R-Brick failure, which was caused by a bit of rust, metal and electrical fatigue.

Because of that, the system is currently down, with the offending R-Brick pulled. (The system still has one functioning R-brick, and can actually run at half its capacity.)

Right now I'm considering the best route of repair, either fix it myself (a little bit of soldering), or replacing the entire unit.

These so-called 'brick' components (which are very BIG and HEAVY) can be ludicrously expensive on EBay, unless one is patient, and waits for the right vendor with a burning desire to just 'get rid' of the thing. (I actually picked up a $500.00+ C-Brick, fully functional and chock full of Itanium cores, for fifty bucks - the price of shipping it to me - simply because the seller just wanted to get rid of it!)

When it is all back up and running, and Debian is percolating along, I have a number of ideas for my own personal applications and projects, just to see what I can make it do and/or use it for. I have even entertained the idea of interfacing it with my 'other' supercomputer - the Beowulf Plateau - for a few joint computing projects which require massive computing power.

(Speaking of power - another thing to remember is that these systems do require a lot of dedicated cooling in an enclosed, controllable space.)

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 01:49:30 AM »
Quote from: TeamBlackFox;765026
Sorry for my absence, I've been busy working as a datacenter tech and unfortunately it's been taking up a lot of my time.

Anyways I picked up an SGI Fuel with 4GB RAM, an R14000 at 600mhz, three SCSI drives and a DVD drive. I also have an Octane and a Personal Iris. These all run IRIX which is probably the best variant of UNIX of its time. Not only was it used in a lot of computer animation in movies but the MIPS architecture seems to be the most efficient architecture in terms of mhz vs Flops. According to some bench marks the SGI Fuel with a 700mhz R16000 is equivalent to a 3Ghz Pentium 4. Yes I know that's old hardware but SGI stopped production of these machines in 2006 so it fits.

Here is my SGI machine :-)..

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 01:17:54 PM »
Looks like there is alot of systems on ebay. What kind of 3d/graphics and creative apps are there for these machines? Is the software all kind of free or open sourced now?

They had video toaster for  these systems?

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
Quote from: Vlabguy1;766054
Here is my SGI machine :-)..

Neat.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 06:43:36 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;766213
Looks like there is alot of systems on ebay. What kind of 3d/graphics and creative apps are there for these machines? Is the software all kind of free or open sourced now?

also...is UAE available for it?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2014, 06:57:38 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;766213

Lightwave 3D was available as was Xaos Tools. No Video Toaster for SGI but it did have Flame, Flint, Smoke Etc. Many other GFX/Video packages were on SGI, too many to mention.

Offline xeno74

• Show only replies by xeno74
    • http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2014, 08:56:39 PM »

Just for info: SuperTuxKart 0.5 and 0.6.2a work on SGI IRIX:

Downloads:

neko_supertuxkart-0.5.tardist

neko_supertuxkart-0.6.2a.tardist
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:59:46 PM by xeno74 »

Offline MiAmigo

• Arbiter of Succession
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »
Cool stuff! :)

Offline TeamBlackFoxTopic starter

• Master SPARC
    • Show only replies by TeamBlackFox
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2014, 05:00:47 AM »
I hauled in a new SGI today - an O2 running an R5k at 160mhz. Spent 3 hours trying to setup a net install server under FreeBSD and finally gave up, gonna have a friend of mine burn me his copy of IRIX instead. Correction on my Fuel - it only has 2GB ram. I mistyped and noticed.

Also with the SGI got a sun Ultra 5 and a 1084s monitor. I'm an addict..

And I have a SGI o2 motherboard / system module of unknown specs with no ram. I don't suppose anyone here needs a spare O2?

@Iggy

Gonna fire up my Octane as soon as I get it out of storage. If it works I'll pm with a price when I have it.
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2014, 05:53:53 AM »
You could try OpenBSD, they support SGI 64-bit and seem to make a point out of actually working and not being total crap in my experience.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

• Master SPARC
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
I'd prefer to use IRIX on SGI/MIPS Hardware honestly - its like saying use NetBSD on a Commodore - there is no point. Admittedly, same for Amiga UNIX really, but you get the gist.
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

• Master SPARC
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »
Okay so I have decided to sell my O2. Here are the specs:

170MHz R5000 MIPS
92MB RAM
18GB 15k RPM SCSI drive

Only issue is no OS installed on it - I'm still looking for IRIX cds as the ones my friend burned were rubbish. If someone is interested feel free to PM me.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2014, 02:52:23 PM »
TeamBlackFox:
If I needed IRIX I'd just find a torrent.

Price/pics?   I might be interested...
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143