Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: does anyone own an electric car?  (Read 10705 times)

Description:

Offline redfox

• Show all replies
Re: does anyone own an electric car?
« on: September 14, 2021, 04:12:49 AM »
I would like to own an electric vehicle, but here in Alberta, Canada, we are far behind on building the infrastructure required to support electric vehicles.  It's a chicken and egg thing.  The current provincial government still wants to promote the oil and gas industry.  They don't subsidize EV's because most people are still buying gas guzzlers, but people are reluctant to buy an EV until the charging infrastructure is in place.

Meanwhile, I have owned a Toyota Camry Hybrid since 2007.  The onboard computer switches back and forth between electric motors and four cylinder internal combustion engine as needed.  It can run on pure electric, pure gas engine or a combination of both simultaneously.  Battery pack is charged by the engine and regenerative braking.  Gets great gas mileage.  Just fill up at any gas station when gas tank is low.  No range anxiety.

The Canadian (federal) government, on the other hand, is promoting EV's and wants to set targets to produce only EV's in a few years time.  So far, BC and Quebec are the only provinces which have a lot of EV's.  Alberta is far behind but there are some EV's here.

Occasionally, I check for deals on Chevy Bolt.  Would like to have a Tesla Model S but can't afford it.

---
redfox  :)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:29:27 AM by redfox »