Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HP curently own BEOS  (Read 1369 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
HP curently own BEOS
« on: March 17, 2013, 12:40:18 AM »
Hi,
Just wondering is there any chance HP would give access to BeOS?
Would some kind of petition make them release the source code, even at a certain price?
I'm quite happy with AROS, but it is a waste that BeOS will just be sitting there collecting dust, like Amiga did, during the Gateway years.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: HP curently own BEOS
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:58:35 AM »
ya they also STILL own the best mobile OS around and have done absolutely ZERO with it:madashell:

if history repeats itself BEOS=WebOS:(
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 01:12:25 AM »
These days it's basically an impossibility that any large tech company would ever give up any of its rights to anything, even if it's never, ever going to do anything with it...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 01:13:35 AM »
No point to pestering HP about BeOS now that there's Haiku: https://www.haiku-os.org/

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 01:26:39 AM »
There are so many things that I'd like to see freed up from the grip of Atari that will never see the light of day either. Tis sad.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 02:33:41 AM »
Actually, do HP even have BeOS? I know Palm bought Be, but did BeOS end up with Palm's software division? The software division was spun off and acquired by another company long before HP bought Palm.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 05:20:13 AM »
I never got beos and I don't really get haiku. Its a brilliantly designed multi tasking multimedia os. The underlying architecture is awesome. It is incredible effecient and beautiful underneath... But its the top layer that always got me.
 It works incredibly well but the user interface is so horribly ugly and disgustingly bad for the eyes.  

They need to make it skinnable or something, because out of the box all you can change is the wallpaper but the window borders and rest of it is just disgusting.

Yes I care about function, but the user interface needs to be somewhat elegant because you don't see whats under the hood, you see the car. Somehow,  they always forgot that or ignored that.

BEOS failed because it worked great but looked like ****, regardless of what anyone else said. EVERYONE tried personal edition beos back in the day, but it was so ugly and uncustomizable no one except real nerds who really really care about what is under the hood could stand using it.

If you took the same underlying internals and made a pretty amiga like graphical ui on top I think it would have been a huge success. Eye candy does matter... No really, it does.

If someone takes haiku and makes everything the user sees be able to be changed to suit the users tastes... like linux, then it would have a real shot at getting some users. Until then its a great kernel with a really ****ty and ugly gui. But thats just my view.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 05:39:05 AM »
BeOS, and inheritantly Haiku is very skinnable/customisable. In its day it was pretty much industry leading in this regard. OS4 pretty clearly borrowed from BeOS with its enhanced (vs. OS3.x) window shapes, and even skins (some are nigh on identical).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 05:41:24 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 05:49:58 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;729487
I never got beos and I don't really get haiku. Its a brilliantly designed multi tasking multimedia os. The underlying architecture is awesome. It is incredible effecient and beautiful underneath... But its the top layer that always got me.
 It works incredibly well but the user interface is so horribly ugly and disgustingly bad for the eyes.  

They need to make it skinnable or something, because out of the box all you can change is the wallpaper but the window borders and rest of it is just disgusting.

Yes I care about function, but the user interface needs to be somewhat elegant because you don't see whats under the hood, you see the car. Somehow,  they always forgot that or ignored that.

BEOS failed because it worked great but looked like ****, regardless of what anyone else said. EVERYONE tried personal edition beos back in the day, but it was so ugly and uncustomizable no one except real nerds who really really care about what is under the hood could stand using it.

If you took the same underlying internals and made a pretty amiga like graphical ui on top I think it would have been a huge success. Eye candy does matter... No really, it does.

If someone takes haiku and makes everything the user sees be able to be changed to suit the users tastes... like linux, then it would have a real shot at getting some users. Until then its a great kernel with a really ****ty and ugly gui. But thats just my view.

I remember when I got rid of my A1200 I "upgraded" to a Power Computing Power Mac clone (240Mhz?) that included a copy of BeOS.  I tried it for a day or three before going back to OS 8.1.  I wasn't really interested in an OS that had no apps I wanted to run and compared to 8.1 looked just as you described.