Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: My Laptop died  (Read 843 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline lassie

My Laptop died
« on: December 11, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »
Hi guys i have an older Laptop that suddenly went dead. It just went black in a second, and will not power on or anything. I toke it apart, to see if there was a fuse, but there was not. Any thoughts to what it can be, or what i can do?
It is a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Laptop
Amiga 4000 030 18 MB ram. 16 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 030 34 MB ram. 8 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 Tower Apollo 1240
Amiga 2000 030. 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 5 MB ram. 500 MB HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 600 4 MB ram. 4 GB HD.
Amiga 600 1 MB ram. 60 MB HD.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga 500 Plus
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D
 

Offline alex76gr

Re: My Laptop died
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »
Maybe it sounds silly but did you check the external PSU?
Most PSUs have an indication LED. Is it on?
Amiga 1200 Blizzard 1240@40Mhz 32MB RAM 30GB HD
Amiga 1200 1230 MkIV 68030/50Mhz 32MB RAM 4GB HD
Amiga 2000
Amiga 500+ RIP  :cry:
Amiga CDTV
 

Offline lassie

Re: My Laptop died
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »
Quote from: alex76gr;718531
Maybe it sounds silly but did you check the external PSU?
Most PSUs have an indication LED. Is it on?


Hi i have tried 2 PSU on it, but it is still dead. After it went dead, i noticed there was a little smell from it, like burned plastic.
Amiga 4000 030 18 MB ram. 16 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 030 34 MB ram. 8 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 Tower Apollo 1240
Amiga 2000 030. 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 5 MB ram. 500 MB HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 600 4 MB ram. 4 GB HD.
Amiga 600 1 MB ram. 60 MB HD.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga 500 Plus
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D
 

Offline tone007

  • sad moaning faced git
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2008
  • Posts: 3238
  • Total likes: 1
Re: My Laptop died
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:25:41 PM »
Probably a fried component on the motherboard or DC/DC converter board.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever
 

Offline Blinx123

Re: My Laptop died
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 04:28:46 PM »
Quote from: lassie;718534
Hi i have tried 2 PSU on it, but it is still dead. After it went dead, i noticed there was a little smell from it, like burned plastic.

Chances are either one of it's internal components blew up or your battery died.

Have you tried removing the battery and plugging the PSU in without it?

Mine wouldn't turn on (or it would turn off after much less than 5 seconds) whenever I tried to with the battery still in place.
Sam: \\"You crack me up little buddy\\"
Max: \\"I love you Sam\\"
 

Offline lassie

Re: My Laptop died
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:43:02 PM »
Quote from: Blinx123;718541
Chances are either one of it's internal components blew up or your battery died.

Have you tried removing the battery and plugging the PSU in without it?

Mine wouldn't turn on (or it would turn off after much less than 5 seconds) whenever I tried to with the battery still in place.


Hi
No i have not tried that, but i will :) Do they not use fuses anymore, in newer things? All my old Computers/Consoles have fuses, but not this one, or maybe they look nothing like the old fuses i am used to, because i could not find it :)
Amiga 4000 030 18 MB ram. 16 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 030 34 MB ram. 8 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 Tower Apollo 1240
Amiga 2000 030. 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 5 MB ram. 500 MB HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 600 4 MB ram. 4 GB HD.
Amiga 600 1 MB ram. 60 MB HD.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga 500 Plus
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D
 

Offline billt

Re: My Laptop died
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 04:55:32 PM »
Was it particularly it when it shut down for the last time? My old laptop died about a year ago very suddenly, never turned on again much like yours. It was pretty hot, and had a tendency to shut down from time to time I assume due to excessive heat. (Couldn't always cool itself sufficiently I guess)

If it was a heat problem, a chip could have died. That could be pretty bad, but there are some repair shops that can change chips out there.

I'd guess that a loose power brick connector wouldn't have gone down so suddenly. It'd have given you a plug me in warning as the battery went down, and you'd have noticed that it didn't recognize the power cord. And it should have tried to turn on for a moment but then give you a critical battery indicator of some kind and not come fully on, and go back off.

In my case, there is a possibility of a short, as when I started looking, I realized that one of the battery lock clips had dislodged and vanished inside, so there's probably a spring wandering around in there... Someday I'll crack it wide open and look around further, and I plan to do some serious laptop repair learning soon, but for now I'm kindof guessing.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!
 

Offline billt

Re: My Laptop died
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »
Quote from: lassie;718545
Hi
No i have not tried that, but i will :) Do they not use fuses anymore, in newer things? All my old Computers/Consoles have fuses, but not this one, or maybe they look nothing like the old fuses i am used to, because i could not find it :)


Stuff is designed to be more disposable these days, companies have more of a "go buy a new one" mentality, especially if it's old as the OP indicated for this laptop. These things aren't really designed to be user serviceable anymore. But like with Apple laptops and Droid 4 batteries, things are possible if you're motivated and more clever than the average hostile product designer.

Look for burn marks. Something may have acted like a fuse, even if it wasn't one. :) I once got to watch an EMI filter on the leftside connector of my A500 go up in flames while it was running. It was quite exciting and horrifying all at the same time.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!
 

Offline lassie

Re: My Laptop died
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »
Quote from: billt;718551
Was it particularly it when it shut down for the last time? My old laptop died about a year ago very suddenly, never turned on again much like yours. It was pretty hot, and had a tendency to shut down from time to time I assume due to excessive heat. (Couldn't always cool itself sufficiently I guess)

If it was a heat problem, a chip could have died. That could be pretty bad, but there are some repair shops that can change chips out there.

I'd guess that a loose power brick connector wouldn't have gone down so suddenly. It'd have given you a plug me in warning as the battery went down, and you'd have noticed that it didn't recognize the power cord. And it should have tried to turn on for a moment but then give you a critical battery indicator of some kind and not come fully on, and go back off.

In my case, there is a possibility of a short, as when I started looking, I realized that one of the battery lock clips had dislodged and vanished inside, so there's probably a spring wandering around in there... Someday I'll crack it wide open and look around further, and I plan to do some serious laptop repair learning soon, but for now I'm kindof guessing.


Yes it sounds like what happened to mine. It is not one i use so often, and i had to download some programs, so i guess i pushed it to much, it was downloading when it happened, and had for a few hours, maybe it got to hot along the way.
Amiga 4000 030 18 MB ram. 16 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 030 34 MB ram. 8 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 Tower Apollo 1240
Amiga 2000 030. 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 5 MB ram. 500 MB HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 600 4 MB ram. 4 GB HD.
Amiga 600 1 MB ram. 60 MB HD.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga 500 Plus
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D
 

Offline Blinx123

Re: My Laptop died
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 05:17:34 PM »
Quote from: lassie;718554
Yes it sounds like what happened to mine. It is not one i use so often, and i had to download some programs, so i guess i pushed it to much, it was downloading when it happened, and had for a few hours, maybe it got to hot along the way.


If laptops (or any PC, for that matter) are getting too hot, they normally shut down automatically.
Sam: \\"You crack me up little buddy\\"
Max: \\"I love you Sam\\"