Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: why can't windows 7 access network shares?  (Read 1918 times)

Description:

Offline DamageXTopic starter

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
why can't windows 7 access network shares?
« on: August 31, 2010, 01:52:55 AM »
I have a mini-ITX Pentium M computer running Windows 2000 on my LAN. I can access its harddisk over the network by typing this (followed by the password):

NET USE H: \\PENM\DDRIVE /USER:argh

It works on my other PCs running win2k, xp, 98, even 3.11 for heaven's sake! It does not work under Windows 7. Yay progress! Can anyone explain?

Offline DamageXTopic starter

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
Re: why can't windows 7 access network shares?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 06:44:33 AM »
Quote from: amigakid;576873
Start > Run > secpol.msc

This doesn't work on win7 Home Premium. But, after searching on NTLM and secpol.msc I was able to find the answer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

(WTF? forum software is inserting an erroneous space between the "o" and "l")

create a new DWORD value LmCompatibilityLevel and set it to 1

Now I can access my files, thanks for your help
Some people say you just have to accept changes when OS's are upgraded.. I understand all that, but why change something that has proven to work and has already become a "standard" in Windows world.

The biggest problem is probably that they are trying to gain market share among clueless newbs. Folks that are already familiar with the tried and true ways are a "given" because they are invested in MS products. So there is little to lose by making arbitrary changes for the sake of flashiness. Aside from that, I wonder if most of the developers are in a young age group, and hence they haven't gotten tired yet of seeing the wheel be reinvented over and over. My two cents...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:47:04 AM by DamageX »