Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Big Event  (Read 8822 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: The Big Event
« Reply #74 from previous page: January 29, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
Pretty sure he was talking about using the iPad in supermarkets
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline tone007

« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »
Right, iPad in supermarkets. Touchscreen display and all.

I haven't given the X1000 a thought since the day it was announced, probably.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2010, 02:22:43 PM »
Quote from: JJ;540570
Pretty sure he was talking about using the iPad in supermarkets

How is it going to be used in supermarkets? This isn't a traditional computing device. EVERY app goes through apples approvals. You can't just develop an app or customize the OS for a customers needs like Linux.

I gotta hand it to them. They've vamboozled the industry into accepting their totally closed method of software and content distribution. This is like the holy grail of media companies out there. They've created the gold standard for music sales online.

Also check out the fact that they'e rolling their own CPU. Tramiel style vertical integration. But they charge as much as possible instead of competing on the lowest price, something Tramiel never achieved.

Pretty cool. As an artist this thing could be great for creative types. Artists typically spend hundreds on paints, and say...a portable french easyl. I dropped $500 for a setup in the late 90's. This thing can achieve the same outcome (painted images from life) for a one time $500 fee, (plus extra for apps) but there's no physical paint, no brushes and the messy costs associated with maintaining such a setup.... (a decent brush is $20 or more) you need 5 or 6, plus all the paint that runs out.. Do the math.

Expect art students to use these as as standard. So there you go. IT's the creative types and business types that will adopt this into a workflow and bring it home, making it's use pervasive.

Even if it has problems they can do a refresh and fix whatever is wrong and still come out golden.

Offline tone007

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »
Quote from: Crom00;540574
How is it going to be used in supermarkets? This isn't a traditional computing device. EVERY app goes through apples approvals.

You don't think Apple would approve point of sale type apps (or even provide a customized OS) if it'd sell a bunch of iPads to a grocery store chain?  Of course this probably would never happen, as I'm sure they aren't tough enough to stand up to that kind of use...
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Crom00

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2010, 02:43:22 PM »
The folks who do those kind of retail deals make their money using off the shelf commodity hardware and a proprietary solution using linux or windows as a starting point. Look at Apple and how they do business. You think they'll be cool with someone charging top dollar using the Ipad as a platform for retail sales. HELL NO!

If I was rolling this kind of product I'd use an Archos Windows 7 ipad equivalent. At least I can install linux on that, and I get get full UESABLE pc for $50 more.

Apples kinda funny the bash the idea of a desktop OS on a pad. But folks who live in the "real world" want the power of a desktop, by power I mean SAME APPLICATIONS as a desktop running on a tablet. They say it just wouldn't work. Nonsense.... They stand to make MORE MONEY with a closed system like this.

The funny thing is the folks on the net becoming "brainwashed" into thinking they need an IPAD.

I use the common man approach. Take the thing on a commuter rail train and ask commuters what they think after using it for a few minutes.

The Amiga would never pass this test because folks would ask... "What the hell is up with the FLICKERING...? I'd never use this thing...I'll go blind!)
Someone actually said that to me when they used an A4000 demo machine at TriState computer in NYC.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
I'm happy to see Apple push the iPad.  That will mean industry will answer it with one that is not crippled, unlike iPad.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Crom00

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2010, 04:59:17 PM »
Quote from: dammy;540588
I'm happy to see Apple push the iPad.  That will mean industry will answer it with one that is not crippled, unlike iPad.

Yep... This will be a great deal for artists who have been teathered to devices like the Wacom Tablet Screens for so long, So many are Mac centric already and this is a natrual for them. I mean Wacom Cintiq displays run $1000 for a 10" sceeen. That's ridculous. Now that "Lawyers" and "businessmen" will be after pad devices you can explect the cost of the tech to lower creating more ompetition. Despite the issues with the device this innovation will eb a good thing.