Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Guru Meditation" - a new game for the Amiga joyboard!  (Read 2577 times)

Description:

Offline MarkTime

• Show all replies
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: "Guru Meditation" - a new game for the Amiga j
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:46:28 AM »
I'm completing a couple Colecovision cartridges for sale on AtariAge.com

A well designed homebrew for the Atari 2600 could sell 400 carts or so.   The homebrew scene isn't about people who still have 2600's....some still have them, many just returned to the scene.  It's growing rapidly too.  People like retro gaming.

I'm not predicting such high sales for this game, but the graphics aren't going to be an issue...those are actually quite nice graphics for the 2600.

I'm porting the game Frog Feast, and doing my own game, Pacific Fleet for colecovision.

Another Amiga Tie-in...Frog Feast, by RastorSoft, was reviewed in one of the recent issues of an Amiga magazine.

It's really a cool scene...I'm surprised I haven't seen more Amiga ties....

I may port Pacific Fleet to Amiga...seems like a natural move.

Offline MarkTime

• Show all replies
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: "Guru Meditation" - a new game for the Amiga j
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »
@weirdami

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/05/20/atari_2600_homebrew.html

This is from 2004 where the game "Ultra SCSIcide" had been mentioned at selling 200 copies.

That requires paddles...it shouldn't be the best seller, but it probably was one of the better games in 2004.  Now, other games have surpassed it.

On the colecovision side, the best games sell at about 200 copies, with other games selling at 50...and these are all top quality games.  I assume that some of the...I won't say amateur, but lets say some of the less sophisticated efforts probably sell in very low quantities indeed.

But I am targetting 100 copies for my games, which I think is realistic.

Rastorsoft did most of the versions of frog feast, and the amiga cd32 version was produced in a 100 copy limited edition.

I may eventually target various platforms once my code base is finalized for pacific fleet...going for about 100 copies per platform, maybe I will get sales in the thousand range someday.

Its mostly for fun....little change....and actually lots of fun to do.

on the costs: $20 and $25 are common costs for 2600 carts (4k or 8k roms determine the price).  There are other cart types 'supermemory' modules etc. for 2600 that require a higher price.

People are mostly respectful that this is a hobby scene, and despite the costs, the programmers are doing this for basically minimum wage...effort vs. return, etc.

Even Frog Feast, which is a port, has taken me about 80 hours, and I will basically get very little back in return for it.

Pacific Fleet, which is original, will take upwards of 200 hours to complete.