Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $799 Pegasos II ODW; 200-Euro Peg I to Peg II upgrade offer  (Read 5039 times)

Description:

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: $799 Pegasos II ODW; 200-Euro Peg I to Peg II upgrade of
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 13, 2005, 09:22:07 PM »
@x56h34
Okay, I assumed since you mentioned the USPS that you were in the US.

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2005, 09:22:39 PM »
@Argo:

Brokerage fee only applies to orders shipped by UPS that go to other countires. E.g. if I were to order from Canada, upon delivery the UPS driver would politely ask for more money. :-)
That's how UPS robs customers. It's insane.

If I were to go by USPS, there would probably still be some import fees that'd need to be paid by me, however SIGNIFICANTLY less than what UPS wants.

Offline djbase

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2005, 10:40:09 PM »
@ Wayne

Thats the only hardware where I can use MorphOS and the price is OK for such a niche system. I could buy a cheap PC from Aldi or whatever but can I use MorphOS with it? No? So what? Even when the ODW is mentioned as Linux Developer Box, it is a good offer for a PowerPC line which is Open.
AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2005, 11:38:16 PM »
@DJ,

Well, if you want to use MorphOS (and it is a fun little OS), then you're pretty much stuck with it.  Personally speaking, I'd have loved to have seen it ported to the Mac Mini, as I would have OS4, but oh well.

Wayne

Offline cdfr

• Show only replies by cdfr
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2005, 01:51:55 AM »
I think that it is a step in the right direction:

- They have successfully lower the price. $800 may seems high for USA buyers but the $ lost a lot of value in the last 4 years. It is about 650 E which is a good price for such a specific product.
The Pegasos is built in Europe and ATM it makes it more difficult to be exported to $ currency countries. On the other hand, assembling in the USA helps to reduce shipping costs for USA customers.

-  The upgrade program allows you to keep your Peg1 G3.
If you sell your Peg 1 to another Amigan (let say 150 E with the RAM) it makes the cost of the upgrade at 150E (300 - 150) AND allows a new user to become a Pegasos owner for a very inexpensive price.

The negative point are the high fees with UPS. I hope that there is another way to handle it.

As for comparing to PCs and MACs. If the aim is to run Amiga (and Morphos) applications it is like comparing apple and oranges.
If the aim is to run Linux than the Mac Mini and Pegasos are not in the same category. Both have different pros and cons. Also a PC would be definitely cheaper.

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show only replies by gregthecanuck
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2005, 08:37:32 AM »
UPS always does that, no matter how big or small your imported package is. They charge canadian/ontario pst and gst taxes to any package that comes into Canada (that's 15% added to the total cost) plus their inflated brokerage fee, which would add around $200 extra to the order.

No matter how you get that system into Canada, be it driving it across the border yourself, having delivered by the post office, or delivered by UPS you will always owe the GST (federal) and PST (provincial) tax.

There are no "duties" on computer parts coming into Canada (at least none that I have paid).

Canada Post (at least here in BC) charges a $5.00 "handling fee".  That is the only extra charge.

If your supplier insists on UPS see about upgrading from ground service to air.  At a certain level of air service UPS charges less in fees and at another level there are no fees at all for customs clearance.  All you would end up owing is the PST/GST.  Your best bet is to call UPS and ask which levels of service incur which charges.  It may turn out to be cheaper to send your computer UPS 3-day air and bypass some of the fees.

Just some friendly advice...   :-)

Offline woof

• Show only replies by woof
    • http://uae.is.free.fr
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2005, 06:16:42 PM »
Pleaaase Wayne stop this "too expensive" troll
I got much respect about you and your opinion but havent you ever imagined that lots of people got goods jobs around the world and so that more/less 100 euros is not not a problem for an hobby.
So the only condition to buy will then be "is it an unique product ?" offering opportunies i cant found in other products :-)

So some time ago i bought a PegasosII (yes!) almost only to compile my programs for a PPC AmigaOS... but what is the problem if i got the money ;-)
After all lots of people buy cellular phones only to phone at an expensive price===> if price was all they wont have buyed that ;-P
And not talking about Ferraris limited to 130km/h here (what a a waste ;-P )

Cordially
Alain - 3D coder for Tales of Tamar

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2005, 04:16:16 PM »
@woof,

First off, mis-use of the word "troll" as I'm not.  I posted what I have because I believe that even at $799, it's too expensive for what you get.  I supported that with the example that you can get a far faster and more modern PC for far less money ($299 I believe from Dell).

Doing so doesn't mean I'm "trolling" at all.  People have hobbies.  If I were a millionaire, I'd be driving a $200,000 Shelby GT 500, so it's all relative.

As a computing platform, I simply don't see any "payback" for spending that kind of money for a machine that (quite possibly) has no market, and will never get out of the hobby arena (and yes, I'm grouping the A1 into that as well).

If you want an ODW and can afford it, go for it.  The temporary price of $799 is a hell of a lot better than the normal $1300, and a step in the right direction, but *to me* both the Pegasos and  A1 are still $399 machines at best.

You've got your opinion, I've got mine.  No worries there.

Wayne