Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The DVD don't play, innit...  (Read 1744 times)

Description:

Offline X-rayTopic starter

• Show only replies by X-ray
Re: The DVD don't play, innit...
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 01, 2006, 08:41:09 PM »
@ All

Thanks, that seems logical, I'll tell my sister to try to change the settings on the DVD player. I know if I was there I would have the problem licked soon enough...but you know women  :-P

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: Gosh.... like Napoleon Dynamite...
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 06:39:28 AM »

Its not a coincidence, its an artifact of the power source and the color information in the country, you are acting as if they resolution was decided independently, it most definitely wasn't.

Actually, I'm not. I wonder where you get that idea!

PAL is a tweak of NTSC (color). Do you suppose that the phase is reversed every alternate line _only_ for 50Hz countries? Hmmm.. why do that? No, the color systems are independant of refresh rates & number of scan lines.

Which part of MPEG2 D1 streams did you not understand?

Well, according to what I've read D1 doesn't exactly define a certain resolution.

As for the Pal 60 format you talked about, or the PAL I, PAL N, etc all of them are based on different frame rates, sizes because of local conditions, this basically proves my point not yours

But that IS my point.

My point all along was that PAL is independant of resolution/framerate. And you argued against me, and now you're arguing exactly what I was arguing - contradicting yourself, mind you - and now telling me that I was wrong??

In addition, understand NTSC started out as a monochrome format at 60 Fields, and 525 lines (not all viewable), there was no color, so implying that NTSC only has to do with color is silly, it was a monochrome spec (adopted in 1941), we later added the color carrier wave with NTSC II,

I know. I'm using 'NTSC' in the context of NTSC Vs PAL, as in the differences in color signal (obviously, PAL only existed after color NTSC).

DVDs are sold as PAL and NTSC formats for a reason, even D-VHS is sold in PAL and NTSC formats unfortunately.

Hang on, didn't you just 'agree with' my point about color signals (ie NTSC Vs PAL) as being independant of resolution/framerate?

Anyway, that doesn't mean that what's recorded on the media (especially in the case of digital) is PAL or NTSC. It's really neither.

Geeeezz...

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 10:56:08 PM »

iamaboringperson wrote:

PAL is a tweak of NTSC (color). Do you suppose that the phase is reversed every alternate line _only_ for 50Hz countries? Hmmm.. why do that? No, the color systems are independant of refresh rates & number of scan lines.

PAL isnt a format, PAL is a bunch of formats, when they talk about PAL people are talking about 50Hz 625 line color video  at a certain bandwidth.

Well, according to what I've read D1 doesn't exactly define a certain resolution.

You need to read more, I suggest the NAB site, or digital video site, or even wikipedia.

My point all along was that PAL is independant of resolution/framerate. And you argued against me, and now you're arguing exactly what I was arguing - contradicting yourself, mind you - and now telling me that I was wrong??

PAL isnt a single format, PAL is a method of storing color information in 9 TV formats.  When most people are talking about PAL, they are 50Hz PAL which has a set format etc.  

I know. I'm using 'NTSC' in the context of NTSC Vs PAL, as in the differences in color signal (obviously, PAL only existed after color NTSC).

Which is wrong in the first place.  NTSC defined the resolution, bandwidth etc for TV, then we added color, you cant say NTSC is only color information when it started out WITH NO COLOR.

Anyway, that doesn't mean that what's recorded on the media (especially in the case of digital) is PAL or NTSC. It's really neither.

It is.  I used to have a D1 & D2 deck (yes they were very expensive, yes they are virtually worthless now), the Flyer was a D2 NTSC device, my new toaster is a D1 multistandard device.   Your basic argument is that I record an NTSC signal into my D2 equipment and it becomes a non-NTSC signal, despite the fact that when I play it out it wll once again be an NTSC signal.  To make the question even easier, do you believe that those little satellite boxes (which my company has made 35 million of) or digital cable is not NTSC and PAL because its digital?    When you author a DVD, the D1 stream that goes into it is either NTSC or PAL, they dont make one DVD and it plays everywhere.  Now your DVD player may transcode it, mine does, but the DVD player decodes it to its saved format before that happens.
     -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 10:51:52 AM »
Make peace !
Buy and import french materials because its accept all range of 50&60 Hz PAL/NTSC/SECAM input and all got pure RGB input  :lol:
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga