Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is the Amiga 3000 really so flimsy? (next step the baseball bat!)  (Read 3851 times)

Description:

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
@eslapion
I have noticed similar things with old computers... Being switched off for a while can be enough.. One example was my c64 which worked perfectly.. I put in the closet stored at normal room temp, but when i wanted to use it later, it only showed a black screen.  :-(
I currently have 3 a500, which i switch on from time to time in the hope of delaying this deterioration.

Have you checked the battery by the way? Leaking batteries is one of the main reasons for Amigas dying these days.

This truly deserves a baseball bat... the people who designed such junk deserve to be hanged!

Are you kidding me?  :-o I thought it was more of a mircale that it had lasted this long without any replacemnts/repairs? The amiga 3000 is actually over 17 years now. How long did you expect it to last without any serious repairs? Just look at the xbox and playstation, you are lucky if it last more than 3 years.
I think it is sad that you blame this on the engineers who gave us this amazing piece of hardware.

edit: And like the previous poster said.. It might even be possible you killed some components yourself due to static electricity..

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
Re: Is the Amiga 3000 really so flimsy? (next step the baseball bat!)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 02:37:13 AM »
At least with PCs, when something's wrong you get a special series of beeps at startup or an error message from the BIOS.

That is not always the case at all.. It all depends on where the fault lies. I myself have had experience with defect pcs/motherboards that did not even beep.
The Amiga also in 90% of the case show a error code through the startup colours or the flashing pattern of the led, but like i said that is not always the case.

One example would be a power supply problem, which this sounds most likely to be.