Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling  (Read 9513 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling
« on: October 22, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »
Quote from: rebraist;750778
If you talk about mobile os, well windows has not even 1%...

It will be interesting what happens with Microsoft owning Nokia. Everyone I know who has a windows phone loves it.

All phone OS' are fragmented right now, writing software that is compatible across all Android phones is very complex.

If Microsoft support phones as well as they supported PC's through the years then I think they might even gain some success.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;750795
I cant connect a BT keyboard for example...
Besides being really heavy, the other point I felt it a little subjective. At least for me, it feels claustrophobic! All that screen space and so little things to do...

It is true that it suffers from lack of apps. Bluetooth keyboard is a minority feature for a phone, although I'd expect that they will support it eventually as they move phones towards Windows 8.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 02:26:55 AM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;750797
I think SteamOS has a real chance of hurting windows even more as a lot of the core gamers are not that happy with Windows 8 direction, lose them and more and more of the market will shift. Interesting times.

I don't believe that people who don't like the start menu will just ditch windows for steamos, as that is also different.

Quote from: nicholas;750868
Indeed why not, the PS4 running BSD would certainly skew the results once it's been on sale for a while. :)

So will the xbox one running windows.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:30:43 AM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 01:48:45 PM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;750872
When I replace my XP games machine it will be an I7 with win 7. no win8, too much stuff I'll never use.

You realise that windows 8 runs faster and uses less ram right?

Offline psxphill

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:51:24 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;751029
True enough - which is why it was great when they actually allowed people to roll back to the old look if they didn't like the new one...

It was only possible because of the kludgy way they added themes to XP. Windows 8 has none of that crud left over, so you might not be used to the way it looks but it runs much faster.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;751050
Yes, they certainly couldn't have reimplemented themes in a non-kludgy way! They had to get rid of user choice!

They did re-implement themes in a non-kludgy way, which is why they removed the old code.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;751115
So you can switch it back to the old look and behavior? Because otherwise they're still a mark down from XP (and to a lesser extent Vista) on that point.

No you can't, which is good because it means that old look that 0.1% of people would use isn't in there slowing the computer and the Microsoft developers down.

That puts them several marks up.

I know you can't help being cranky, but it's not all about you.