Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CRT TV's - Are you using one?  (Read 5666 times)

Description:

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show all replies
    • brianhoskins.uk
Re: CRT TV's - Are you using one?
« on: July 10, 2019, 12:24:57 PM »
Here's my take:

For Workbench and applications, an LCD monitor is prefferable to CRT because you get a sharper and more precise image on an LCD.  Especially compared to old CRTs (all CRTs are old now) which tend to suffer from a range of image geometry distortions.

For Games, Demos and a general retro experience then CRT is prefferable because it's far more 'forgiving' of the AMIGAs graphics capabilities than LCD.  In fact, I imagine that most games on the AMIGA are designed around the experience you get from a CRT screen.  Games definitely look better on CRT, there's no doubt about it.

In practice I use both.  On the CRT side I use an AMIGA technologies branded 1538.  This is an excellent little monitor because of its ability to multisync.  You can use it on the AMIGA native modes and also higher graphics modes on the Workbench, no problems.

I also have a Philips 8833, so my setup is very similar to Paul's.  But I tend to use my Philips monitor on my old Spectrum computers rather than the AMIGA.

I also have another CRT monitor, the model I can't quite recall (will have to check later) but it only just about syncs down to the AMIGA screen modes and I found that only the higher modes work on it so it's not that much use for gaming.  It's a lovely monitor with my graphics card in the A2000 though.

Paul's right, they do take up a lot of room.  Whether that's worth it or not depends on what you're doing with your AMIGA the most.

PS: I worry about keeping these old monitors in the attic on two fronts:

• Previously I kept a monitor up there and it yellowed really badly.  I was under the impression that exposure to UV triggered this reaction but my monitor went yellow just by being stored in the attic in the dark! I wonder if the heat triggered it.  Not sure.  But ever since then I don't keep any AMIGA equipment in the attic.
  • It gets very hot in the attic, especially in the Summer.  And then it goes cool in the night.  So your equipment is going hot/cold/hot/cold all the time.  So I worry about the longevity of older equipment like this when subjected to that environment.  This is a worry that is born of personal feeling rather than direct experience of attic storage causing specific problems with my equipment.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:30:42 PM by Brian Hoskins »

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Show all replies
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 08:15:41 AM »
You won't get a great picture with a TV though.  Keep your eye out for a proper CRT monitor.

That 28" grundig would be a good platform for a full size arcade cabinet though.

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Show all replies
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 10:07:34 PM »
powered up, but still emits that high frequency sound. Guess most old TV-s are like this?

The sound that your younger friends are complaining about is the line scan frequency.

If you are young you can hear it quite easily.

If you are old you can't hear it at all.

I guess that means you're old!

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Show all replies
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »
I could not wait to get away from CRT Televisions on my computers in 1984, I sure don't want to use one now! I have a 1084, a 1902, a couple of 1702's and some LCD displays - no nostalgia at all for blurry CRT's. That's just me, though.

These old monitors can fetch quite healthy prices on the retro computing market.  You could trade them on the market and use the proceeds to get some new AMIGA goodies.  A purchase that would fly under the radar at home  :-X

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Show all replies
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 09:35:46 PM »
Quote from: Dynamic_Computing
You bet they could - but I love my Commodore monitors!

I thought you were saying you hated them, hence my suggestion.  But now I see you were only hating on the TV option.

I used a TV for my AMIGA screen for my entire childhood.  I was kind of OK with it until I went around my (richer) friend's house and he had a proper monitor on his A500.  All of a sudden I hated my TV.