Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 240256 times)

Description:

Offline 10MARC

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« on: September 23, 2018, 07:24:48 PM »
I agree with Gulliver - The Amiga OS is fairly simple at its core, so changing some libraries and careful use of the setpatch command should allow anything from 3.14 work perfect with an OS 3.9 install. I personally like OS 3.9 (Except the horribly long boot times), but I certainly will be buying 3.14 when it comes out!
The other benefit of the Amiga OS is that it really easy to back up the entire OS and all partitions, allowing you to play with things and test things, and if they break, just copy the old install right back to the original drive.
I am very excited for the new patch, and I hope it is a success for the group that is working on it.

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 05:56:43 AM »
Thanks so much, Gulliver! That script will certainly make our lives easier!

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 04:50:00 AM »
Amiga OS 3.1.4 question - I decided to to a fresh install on my A4000 Desktop with my Warp Engine. I have two big SCSI drive - 74 Gig and 300 Gig that both worked 100% on OS 3.9. With 3.1.4 I installed from floppy, changed my tooltype on HDtoolbox to warpdrive.device, and created a nice 4 Gig Workbench partition. OS installed just fine with no errors.
Now after booting up, HDToolbox sees my drives and I can partition them, but no matter what size I partition them formatting gives me a "Seek Failure" error and cancels the format. Tried different sizes, different drives, same error. Original 4 Gig works fine on my 74 Gig drive, but I can't format anything else. Possible bug with OS 3.1.4 with Warpengine?
Again, these drives have been working perfect with Amiga OS3.9.

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 05:50:32 AM »
Thank you, Thomas Richter! I honestly did not try the "Direct SCSI" Flag, although I did see it. I will try that right away. Thanks for the help.

Edit - checking the direct SCSI switch did the trick. All is well
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 02:13:58 PM by Dynamic_Computing »

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 04:30:00 AM »
I just put up a video with a overview/installation guide/troubleshooting guide for Amiga OS 3.1.4 and the associated "Best Workbench 1.0" - Maybe it will help some people.

I had some issues with the warpdrive.device SCSI controller that I was able to overcome thanks to some help from Thomas Richter on one issue, and good old fashioned trial and error on other issues.

https://youtu.be/Bo3j-fknCQs

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 02:09:29 PM »
That is strange. So, there are different versions of 3.1.4 but have the same number name? Is there going to be a final version? Maybe updates should be delivered separately, so there is no confusion like 3.1.4.1...? Are there going to be "silent" versions of the 3.1.4 ROM ?

Yes... Thank goodness there is no other software out there that updates and you receive a slightly new version. Like on your phone, or computer, or watch, or almost all software that is currently created... :-\

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 06:21:59 AM »
I have AmigaOS 3.1.4 on my A500 with an ACA500+ - fresh install. Any time I try to use the intuition patch so I can move Windows off screen, I get a software error (a guru screen on boot) I have Amiga OS 3.1.4 on my A4000 and it works OK. Has anyone had a problem with the ACA500+ like this? (Amiga 500, rev 6 board, MegaAChip with 2MB - also tried on my Rev 5 A500 with 1 MB CHIP and same results.)

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 10:49:35 PM »
My system has the 2 MB Megachip, so 2 MB of CHIP RAM and 7 MB on the ACA500+. Plenty of RAM. My point where I reference 1 MB was just explaining that I tried it on two different Amiga 500, one with one megabyte of Chip ram one with 2 megabytes of Chip ram. Both machines had 7 megabytes of fast ram. When I try to load the intuition.library it will often just give me the flashing red "software failure", but today it is crashing to the green ACA500+ error screen. I will have to edit down the photo that I took - too big for an attachment.

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 02:38:50 PM »
There is no new ROM for 3.1.4.1. Anything beyond 3.1.4.1 if there may be a new ROM will still be shipped with intuition v40 as cybergraphics is incompatible and we cannot fix that.

Have you considered shipping the new intuition in ROM and making some sort of patch available for cybergraphics compatibility instead? i.e. something that patches in the old v40 intuition? This could be an option at the time of installing 3.1.4.

I agree that this is not the best idea. The intuition patch crashes my system with my ACA500+ and I have not found a workaround yet. It works ok on my A4000, but causes graphics artifacts when I drag a few Windows off screen and then back. Notably, iBrowse Windows on workbench on my RTG Cybergraphx 4D card using picasso96. (I have never used the Cybergraphx RTG software).
I love the freedom of moving Windows off screen, but as I have issues with two out of two systems that AmigaOS 3.1.4 is installed on when using the new intuition, I suspect committing it to ROM would be a bad move right now.

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 05:53:58 AM »
 ;)
Well, Aminet could need some love too, its "software architecture" (*snigger*) is ancient by today's standards - both the web front-end and the database backend should be distributed around on multiple instances from different hosting sites.

I suspect it is still "ancient" so it continues to work perfect on real Amiga's using things like iBrowse. It is a delight to use on my Amiga4000! I hope they don't change a thing.

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 01:35:45 AM »
I understand that this thread has devolved into a few people whining, but I have just published a video on the new patch released this week! I try to keep it basic, but informative, to cater to more people. I hope it helps some people! Keep up the fantastic work, everyone!

https://youtu.be/a2eAol231j4

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 06:55:07 AM »
I am having an issue with one of my machines - my most powerful one.
A4000, Warp Engine upgraded to 68060/80 MHz, 96+ MB RAM, 15,000 RPM SCSI Hard Drive, Cybergraphx 64 3D with Picasso drivers.
Running Amiga OS 3.1.4.1 with real ROMS. The entire system works great and incredibly fast, except booting. Startup Sequence hangs on setpatch for about 90 to 120 seconds - it runs, and I can see the results of it, and it just sits there until "Intuition is trying to close Windows" pops up. A few minutes later, it seems to finish and it boots normally and works fantastic.
I suspect it MIGHT be the CPU command right after setpatch, but not 100% sure. Anyone else experience this?
The system is not locked as the mouse moves fine and I can move the shell window around.
The slowness in booting also occurred on a raw install, no update from 3.9

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 04:53:18 AM »
I can certainly test that theory by taking out most of the memory. I can just boot it with the onboard 16 MB. I will track down the latest mmu.library, too. Thanks for the quick response!

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 02:00:37 AM »
Gryphon, The CD-ROM is  the only device on the SCSI Bus? Usually the Hard Drive might be unit 0, and the CD set to 1 or more.
Termination is also important - I started using SCSI devices in about 1991 - the current day and Termination almost always is an issue. Either a device self terminates and needs no active terminator, or a device has no termination and requires one. Double check.
I think there is a utility that scans the SCSI bus - does it see your CD-ROM?

The following users thanked this post: Gryfon