Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 239029 times)

Description:

guest11527

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2018, 02:59:10 PM »
If you have a physical Rom, yes at power on
Not even that is required. It is sufficient to put the FFS into the RDB. HDToolBox can do that for you. Steps are in the FAQ.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2018, 04:15:10 PM »
@Thomas

is there any plan to add a new forum at support.amigaos.net (the official hyperion support site) for OS 3.1.4?

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

guest11527

« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2018, 04:23:23 PM »
is there any plan to add a new forum at support.amigaos.net (the official hyperion support site) for OS 3.1.4?

There should be - isn't there one? It's really up to Hyperion to set one up - I'm not an employee of Hyperion, though.

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2018, 05:17:01 PM »
Hyperion has a support forum.

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2018, 05:33:11 PM »

yes, i know that. that's the same site i pointed to. what i asked was if -- on that site -- hyperion was planning on adding a new forum to address support questions/issues for OS 3.1.4.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »
This really is baffling to me and it seems to me a mission anal retentiveness rather than to be useful in the real world!!! The Printer Drivers / printer.device were ALWAYS rubbish and are not worth updating! Everyone who wanted to use a printer on their classic who didn't want to be limited to a centronix era dot-matrix monstrousity bough TurboPrint period.

Period?  Speaking for yourself, of course.  I quite happily used HP printers on my parallel port without purchasing TurboPrint -- in fact I only learned of its existence around OS3.9 when people were discussing broken print drivers and how to roll them back.

Offline bubbob42

« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »
Please use the “classic” subforum for now.

yes, i know that. that's the same site i pointed to. what i asked was if -- on that site -- hyperion was planning on adding a new forum to address support questions/issues for OS 3.1.4.

-- eliyahu

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »
I only see downloads on Hyperion site but where do we buy physical roms then ?? ???
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »

Only digital download for now,
I guess you buy it from AmigaKit when roms are burned.
or else you can pick up eprom bruner from ebay.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »
@LoadWB

I quite happily used HP printers on my parallel port without purchasing TurboPrint

Maybe if more people had bought TurboPrint and seen its value IrseeSoft would still be in the Amiga market! You obviously weren't into printing 24-bit graphics then?! TurboPrint was worth it for the Graphics Publisher program on its own IMHO. The difference was night and day between the native printer drivers and TurboPrint's and by around 1996 the difference was embarassing. C= sucked at updating Workbench and the Amiga graphics chips, their two biggest failures. Third party software took over to fill the void as did third party accelerators and RTG cards. OS3.9 was the obvious pinnacle of third party contributor/kludge based OS development post-Commodore. OS3.9 works better than we have a right to expect considering and with TurboPrint, CrossDos and AsimCDFS installed in addition to Boing Bags 1 & 2 I really can't see how OS 3.1.4 is any match for my current system except that the code is probably much neater  ;D

Please explain how a custom OS3.1.4 installation to update elements of my OS3.9 system would be worth my time/money?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:50:19 PM by BozzerBigD »
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2018, 10:06:22 PM »
.... OS3.9 works better than we have a right to expect considering and with TurboPrint, CrossDos and AsimCDFS installed in addition to Boing Bags 1 & 2 I really can't see how OS 3.1.4 is any match for my current system except that the code is probably much neater  ;D

Please explain how a custom OS3.1.4 installation to update elements of my OS3.9 system would be worth my time/money?
I've got my A4000 and A1200T with OS3.9 BB1 & 2 working fine after many many many hours of tinkering so I'll be hesitant to mess with them now but I have a 1200 that runs OS3.1 only and will definitely buy the update for that since I have no fear of messing anything up on it ;D
btw, I'd love to have this official update for my Amiga 1000 too but don't see it as one of the supported systems sadly

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:08:32 PM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2018, 10:36:23 PM »
I saw that one remit/design goal of OS3.1.4 was to make the OS play nicer with 060 boards. However, does this improve upon OS3.9 support plus Oxypatcher / Phase5 support etc? Is this update really for people that stuck to OS3.1 and forgot to buy OS3.5 and OS3.9? I mean I didn't install Boing Bags 3 & 4 because they were unofficial and I found the Boing Bag 2 install painful but that is nothing compared to still using Blue & Grey Worbench 3.1 in 2018! I can see why THOSE Amigans might seriously NEED to upgrade. The rest of us not so much. But I still think this is mainly about stopping Vampire users pirating core OS elements for VampireOS and instead encourage them to pay Hyperion for the pleasure.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:39:33 PM by BozzerBigD »
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline First Ninja

« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2018, 10:39:35 PM »
Danish and swedish are currently being prepared.

That's great news! You don't happen to need Swedish, semi-professional proofreading on a pro-bono basis? I'm a member of TED Translators, I've done a few jobs for Steam and I'd say I know the Swedish Amiga terminology realized by Commodore's Swedish branch quite well.
Karate, Jerry. Karate. It's the lifetime pursuit of balance and harmony.

Offline Tygre

« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2018, 11:25:36 PM »
Hi Thomas and all!

I probably come late but I wanted to thank all people involved in working on 3.1.4! It is an amazing feat to have succeeded in reworking, recompiling, modernizing, improving a code base that has been around for such a long time :) You all deserve big thanks and our (my at leat!) admiration for doing this job! It must have been similar to monks doing mediaeval illumination ;) ("Un travail de moine" in French...)

Congrats and thank you!

Pulling windows out of screens is a feature of intuition v45 which will be available for all customers of 3.1.4 as an optional component for installation. Unfortunately, it is only optional because it does not work with cybergraphics.

Unfortunately, CGfx depends on compiler-specific register- and memory allocation of the compiled intuitition v40 code beyond our knowledge, and intuition v40 is the only component which was built with the Greenhill compiler. Unfortunately, the compiler is no longer available, and even if it would, we would not know how to integrate it into the built-system, so we cannot reproduce what Cgfx requires.

We reached out to Frank Mariak asking for insight, and offered an internal interface in intuition v45 for CGfx to reproduce (with some assembly stubs potentially) its requirements. Even some first contact was established successfully, this went unfortunately nowhere.

So, at this time, intuition v45 is for native graphics and P96 only, and only as an optional feature. I would have preferred to offer this as a regular part of 3.1.4, but we cannot risk to loose Cgfx customers.

Offline madgrizzle

• Show only replies by madgrizzle
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2018, 03:27:00 AM »
I have a KS 3.1 for my 3000 that's been modified to allow for a 060 with FPU.  If I understand what's been posted, I don't need to change the ROM and can just use the disks and modules disk? 

Yes, you can. The system will then go through one reboot on the coldstart to install the new modules.

Is it feasible to make a custom 3.1.4 rom that has whatever modification my current one has?
Only Amiga *woo-woo* Makes It Possible
Only Amiga   ... Makes.. It .. Happen!
Amiga 2000, 2MB Chip RAM, OS3.9, GVP Combo 030/22 13 MB, Supra 4MB
Amiga 3000, 16 MB RAM, OS3.9, A3640 v3.2 with 060 Processor, Picasso II, A2065, PCD-50B
Dead VA2000/CX :(

Offline Tygre

« Reply #149 from previous page: October 04, 2018, 04:48:00 AM »
Hi Thomas!

Let me second what Olaf wrote:

b) Testing! The problem with the printer device was not only that it was legacy code, it was also not tested to the degree necessary. This being said, I'm not fully in line that the printer is my accomplishment. It is to a major degree the result of our beta test group that continued to file bug after bug. In the end, I do not remember how many we had for the printer and the HP drivers.

Very nice! I'm curious if you could tell us more about testing: do you use test frameworks? What test cases exist? Did you inherit test cases or build your own test suites?

Cheers!