Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 245400 times)

Description:

Offline Gulliver

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« on: September 22, 2018, 03:32:24 PM »
I am also a part of the Team, and of course willing to help too.  :)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 07:18:44 PM »
Always nice to see additional development, even if it means more fragmentation.  I'll probably pick and chose from 3.1.4 components (once released) to add to my existing 3.9 systems.  Of course I don't expect anyone to support these hacked together kludges beyond myself.  ;)

Not really fragmentation. Let me explain:

All 3.1.4 components are way beyond in fixes and features than what 3.9 brought to the table. What 3.1.4 lacks is all those third party applications that 3.9 brought along, like video player, web browser, dock bar, tcp-ip stack, etc.

The core of the Operating System is way better in all aspects than what 3.9 ever was/is.

The best part of this, is that taking some precautions, you can integrate 3.1.4 in a working 3.9 system, and get the best things of both worlds: the best OS core (3.1.4), and the more handy applications some of which came with 3.9.

I have already performed the 3.9 + 3.1.4 integration several times: It requires some work, but it is not voodoo magic by any means.

The following users thanked this post: klx300r

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 11:19:58 PM »
I have already performed the 3.9 + 3.1.4 integration several times: It requires some work, but it is not voodoo magic by any means.

Could you tell more about this? This what I'm going todo, so I'm interested.

No problem.  :)

Just give me a day or two, I need to first get back home, and do this procedure all over again, so that I take notes, and dont miss something when retelling it.  ;D

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 11:30:21 PM »
When might this be available for purchase?  :D

Very soon as Thomas has already said.

It really depends on ironing out the last details and see that no other bugs creep out of their caves.  :D

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:36:57 PM »
Is 3.1.4 being tested with emulators such as FS-UAE, or is it intended for real hardware only?

I am nearly always working away from home, so I usually run/test 3.1.4 in WinUAE on a notebook, and when I have time at home, usually on weekends, I can test it under real hardware.

Emulators are great for the convenience, speed and portability factor. Real hardware is much better when trying to test because either things work or not, there is no second guessing, or blaming it on bad emulator configuration options, or corner cases with unimplemented functions. So each option has its place.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:40:21 PM »
Will this operating system be distributed as ROMs and diskettes?

Yes, but there will also be other forms of distribution which I cannot discuss.  :-X

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 04:00:22 AM »

Could you tell more about this? This what I'm going todo, so I'm interested.

No problem.  :)

Just give me a day or two, I need to first get back home, and do this procedure all over again, so that I take notes, and dont miss something when retelling it.  ;D

Well, I did something better than what I promised:

I created a simple, but rather lengthy AmigaDOS script that will update a 3.5/9 system to 3.1.4.

It is a quick and dirty hack, but it gets the job done, at least on a clean AmigaOS 3.9 system that I have tested with.

I have handled it to other testers to see if it works for them. And if everything goes well, you will have a way to upgrade your  system, and even better than that, you will be able to read the AmigaDOS commands it contains and use a different, much better way to perform the upgrade yourselves.

My idea, if it turns out okay, is to upload it to Aminet so that anyone can use/re-use/read it and understand how the bloody thing works.  ;D

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »
And what is the situation with picture.datatype? AFAIK the OS 3.9 version has one unique important feature: it's a fat binary (m68k + PPC).

This new picture.datatype is faster, has less bugs and will now work with 68000 processors (the one from 3.9 required a 68020).
The PPC code is no longer there, which makes it much smaller and less bloated.

If you have PPC hardware, if it is compatible, you can always get OS4.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 11:56:40 PM »

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 12:21:49 AM »
BestWB 1.0 is out

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BestWB.htm

Dang! That was freaky fast!  ;D
Thanks Gulliver!

Does anyone remember where that post was that provided a script to update OS3.5/3.9 with the new components of this OS3.1.4?

I uploaded it to Aminet (http://aminet.net/misc/os/Updateto314.lha)

The following users thanked this post: giZmo350, klx300r

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »
SCSI.device's size limits are quite important for me. My boot partition is 30gb and hard drive is 500gb. That hard drive was not recognized at all with original 3.1 scsi.device, but worked out of the box with with my custon kickstart with 43.45p scsi.device

Has anyone tested big hard drive support?

I have been using a 1TB drive without issues since the last 3.1.4 beta days.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »
I made a script to help update 3.1, 3.5 or 3.9 with 3.1.4.

It is in Aminet.
Make a backup first, and then execute it.

http://aminet.net/misc/os/Updateto314.lha

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 11:26:32 PM »
where is the new Disk Doctor located??? I can't even find it on the OS3.14 disks ?

It is in C:

And in your floppies it should be on the "Extras" floppy, also in C:

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 11:38:00 PM »
@klx300r

Niels is right, you need to specify action and device name.

An example to diagnose DH0:

DiskDoctor examine DH0:

Remember that as most commands, using ? as arguments will give you all option/switches.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 06:03:02 PM »
I just noticed I lost a few icons on my AmiDock that were there before I installed 3.14 over my OS3.9 using Gulliver's script ? no big deal as I have another partition with only a clean OS3.14 just wonder why the icons disappeared?

This is just a guess due to insufficient information, but the Workbench preferences program has the "No NewIcons" option ticked by default in 3.1.4, and if you happen to have a NewIcon, it will not be displayed. So untick that option, save and reboot your machine and see if they now appear.

If this does not work, please confirm to what program the missing icons were for, so that I can try to help you in narrowing the problem you are having.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:04:35 PM by Gulliver »