Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need resource.library  (Read 1450 times)

Description:

Offline StewTopic starter

• Show only replies by Stew
Need resource.library
« on: December 03, 2003, 01:08:11 AM »
  HELP!

I installed some software on my A4000t. It now gives me an error message of"cannot open "resource.library"  v44.  Unable to run  "AMIIDOCK".
  I am running OS3.9. I checked my libs drawer and resource.library is there. I could not find a way to view the version number. I have a system backup drawer and copied the resource.library from it to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help

Stew :-?

Offline JetRacer

• Show only replies by JetRacer
Re: Need resource.library
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 01:57:54 AM »
It's a part of the copy protection (or whatever) of OS3.9 (and 3.5?). I think it's supposed to disable anyone from running stuff from OS3.9 on <3.9 WB. Can't remember what trigs it though. It will also kick in when booting without startup-sequence and doing a C:LoadWB. Or whatever; I know I managed to trig it a few times when experimenting with the startup..
*Zap! Zap!* Ha! Take that! *Kabooom!* Hey, that\'s not fair!

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 02:25:33 AM »
Copy protections?  I never heard of that.  Here's a note from the OS3.9 FAQ.

http://www.gregdonner.org/os39faq/installtips.html#20

On bootup, I get the following error message: "Cannot open resource.library, version 44, unable to load AmiDock". I have the correct version of resource.library installed, and AmiDock exists in SYS:WBStartup. Why does this appear, and how do I eliminate this error?

A: In many cases the problem message you received did not accurately reflect a missing or even damaged library, but rather the absence of a "#?.gadget" file that the resource.library function depends on. Check the SYS:Classes/Gadgets/ directory on your system partition and the OS3.9 directory of the install CD-ROM and manually copy any missing #?.gadget files. Ensure that all the #?.gadget files are the latest versions (do this by checking the latest Boing Bag first, then the OS 3.9 CD-ROM).

[Mike Wilson/Cor Kriekaart]

Another cause for this message may be a corrupt or incorrectly installed 68040.library and/or 68060.library file. Make sure that you're using the correct--and valid--680x0.libraries. Such a corrupt file may work under OS 3.1, but will fail in OS 3.9.

[Rob Pleak]

Note that UnixDirs3 has the ability to redirect '/' to be the same as ':'; the root of the drive. This causes many poorly written installers to fail that rely on '/' to be 'parent directory'.

[Shawn Holwegner]

Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Ryu

• Show only replies by Ryu
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 02:26:38 AM »
I would guess the app you installed is a ReAction/ClassAction app? If yes check what classes it uses, I bet its installed an older class than you already have... the reqester is a bit strange on AmiDock, Ive had it b4 and it turned out to be a classes problem. I simply looked to see what classes the app i installed used, and recopied them back from my OS3.9. IIRC the app in question was AmiFTP.... which you should NEVER install on an OS3.5+ system, it doesnt need installing.
Yours
Darren aka Ryu
-----------------------------
www.IntuitionBase.com
My Amiga 1200 webserver

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 02:26:55 AM »
Your SetPatch command may have been replaced. Put back the original OS3.9 Setpatch (preferably the BB2 one), and make sure it is at the start of your startup-sequence.

Offline JetRacer

• Show only replies by JetRacer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 02:35:59 AM »
I always thought it was some lame copy protection. Maybe I should read the OS39 FAQ some day :-)
*Zap! Zap!* Ha! Take that! *Kabooom!* Hey, that\'s not fair!

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 02:38:18 AM »
You are right. It is copy protection. It's to stop OS3.9 apps being used in earlier OS releases.

But SetPatch is how the protection is installed, and if you screw with the way it kills old libs and installs new ones, you break your system.

Offline StewTopic starter

• Show only replies by Stew
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 03:55:22 AM »
 I will check my setpatch command, but the large hard drives stll show correctly, unlike if I boot into 3.1 (I have my system in a dual boot type setup).
  Seems like there was one program that installed some classes/objects. The problem is, like a fool, I installed several programs at once, and my system backup is rather old. I hope i will be able to tell which are the newer versions.
  At least you have given me a starting point.

Thanks again
Stew

Offline sundown

• Show only replies by sundown
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 05:20:07 AM »
I found a web site that lists all the files
installed by BB2.

http://homepages.compuserve.de/GAUHPIL/Computer/BoingBag2.html

Sorry, I don't know how to make a clickable link,
but you can copy & paste.
Miss Piggy Star Wars quote: "I would love to boldly go where no pig has gone
before"
--------------------------------------------------
X1000/SAM440 flex/A4000T-060/A500/030

Offline zipper

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 09:08:41 AM »
As for some other users, your install has probably missed a couple of files - most probably in Classes, as did my install. Just compare your CD and your install to find out what's missing.