Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So, where was "X" at AmiWest?  (Read 11720 times)

Description:

Offline ajlwalker

• Show all replies
Re: So, where was "X" at AmiWest?
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »
@Piru

You've already confirmed Morphos won't be on the X1000.

I understand details on the new OS4 netbook are scant, but in principle would you be in favour of producing Morphos port for it?

If it makes the answer any easier lets assume the netbook sells between 1000-2000 units rather than a couple of hundred.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 11:43:28 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;664939
If MorphOS team wanted to support a e300/400MHz netbook, they could have done so with the Limebook Z9.
But since Mac support was added virtually noboday gave a crap about an e300/400 any more. MorphOS will soon support a G4 1.67GHz laptop - what will an even more expensive  e300/400 netbook offer as benefit?
Not sayig an e300/400 wouldn't make no sense at all (I still have a business proposal based ona chip with that core), but it is a thing of priorities. And putting the priority to a G4 1.67 GHz instead to a G2(e300)/400 seems clever and rational to me.

Er, I didn't suggest they should prioritise this netbook (which we won't see for many months anyway) over their current projects.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 11:49:15 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;664941
I have to agree with zylsea; I can't really see MOS devs seeing any tangible value in supporting it as they already support hardware that enables users to get into it without having to spend too much.

It's a different story for OS4, where a lower cost device that allows people to use it for less outlay should make quite a difference.

I of course see your point of view, however, I believe there is a market there to be exploited.

ie.  There are many people (me included) who do not want to buy 2nd hand apple hardware just to try out Morphos.  There are also many people who would like to have OS4 and Morphos run together on more than just the PegII.

If this netbook materialises, and I believe it will, I will 100% buy it.  Doesn't mean I only want to run OS4 on it.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:30:33 PM »
Looks like I am on ignore.

Does anyone else close to Morphos development know if this netbook could become a target platform?

Seems like a good opportunity to make Morphos even more efficient.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »
Quote from: Piru;665328
No, I wouldn't. I think we have plenty of better targets to port for, and they're not 400MHz SIMDless systems with fixed tiny storage capacity.

Ok, fair enough.  Thanks for the reply.

It is a fair point about the fixed storage.  I am hoping it will be possible to attach external USB hard drives, and possibly even boot from them.  I don't have much of a music collection, but even that exceeds 8Gb.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 09:08:18 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;671728
Are you both being deliberately obtuse or did you just not understand the topic of the thread?

"X" is not the X1000 - it's the "Power of X", the answer to the question A-eon hyped on their website "What is X"? It refers to the components on the X1000 motherboard that are supposed to distinguish it from other OS4 supported hardware. The XMOS processor "Xena", the proprietary Xorro bus, and to a certain extent the multiple cores of the PA6T. None of these are supported by OS4 and have never been demonstrated.

It's funny how the OS4 community having found that these components are not supported by OS4 and will not be supported anytime soon are now trying to downplay "X", which was the primary selling point of the X1000 and the only thing which distinguishes it from your typical SAM or Eyetech A1. Basically the people who got hyped into this thing are paying $3000+ for a somewhat faster single CPU system - and that's it. For that kind of money the unique distinguishing features of the X1000 should be supported, nevermind the standard onboard components which are also not supported by OS4.

Ok, I'll bite.  Where are your examples of the OS4 community downplaying "X"?  Of course I'll need plenty of examples given that you reference the whole community.  I'll need examples of them hyping it in the first place too.

Oh, and jorks accusing anyone of being obtuse is frankly ****ing hilarious. So cheers for the laugh at least jorks.

Another thing, is it your $3000 they are spending?  If not, why should they care what you think?

Offline ajlwalker

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
Quote from: itix;671746
My Amiga 500 is old and crappy but it is still the best Amiga ever. But thank you for insulting Amigans.

He didn't insult amigans.  I certainly took no offence.  I don't think you should either given that I doubt very much you were the target of his ire.