Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CS PPC SCSI advice??  (Read 4960 times)

Description:

Offline mousehouse

Re: CS PPC SCSI advice??
« on: September 29, 2010, 06:55:44 PM »
Do you have a regular SCSI drive that you can test with? Might be something with the Acard termination indeed.

I've had similar problems with my CSPPC (now sold) when termination was messed up. Worked like a charm with an SCA drive with SCA-UW adapter and a terminated cable, similarly setup to yours.

Running on a 'regular' SCSI disk can determine where your issue is!
A3000T

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
If I remember correctly "Termination Power" is not that big of a thing. You need it somewhere on the bus and (again, if memory serves me right) the CSPPC does that for you.

Most more modern drives feature "Auto Termination" and have no jumpers to set or unset it.

I would try it out with the UW drive on one end, CSPPC in the middle, ribbon/cable terminator at the end. And check the settings in the bootup screen (was that CTRL+S ?)
A3000T

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:21:46 AM »
Quote from: zipper;581947
No it doesn't.

Ah yes, you are right of course. The CSPPC does not have TERMPOWER or Termination capabilities...

TERMPOWER is power supplied by a device on the cable to be used by the terminators. The terminators are at the ends of the cable to avoid signal reflection.

see: http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/SCSI_Termination_Tutorial.html

Thus,

The drive must supply TERMPOWER to the SCSI cable, and both ends of the cable must be properly terminated.
A3000T