Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cannot resolve host name  (Read 4144 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: Cannot resolve host name
« on: November 06, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »
INet is based on the old Commodore AS225 and socket.library API. Most networking software uses the AmiTCP bsdsocket.library API - a different interface. That might be your problem. I can't recall if AWeb supports AS225. Interworks produced a wrapper to map bsdsocket.library calls to socket.library, but I don't know how well it works.

Consider a new TCP/IP stack like Roadshow, AmiTCP, EasyNet, or MiamiDx. You might also be interested in a newer version of AWeb.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »
Hmm. AWeb was working correctly a few days ago?
Then maybe it is a config thing rather than an incompatibility...

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 04:01:25 AM »
That is really strange. I'm not familiar with the nuances of INet, but everything "looks" correct from what I can tell.
I'm just throwing out guesses at this point, but I wonder if it might be something with your main router? Usually gateway and DNS/nameserver are both 192.168.1.1, but I came across an issue recently where a new modem/router provided by an ISP wouldn't allow itself to be used as a nameserver. I had to manually add the external nameserver IPs as reported by the unit to my TCP/IP config. Do you get any different results with the 8.8.8.8 that utri007 suggested?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 03:50:16 AM »
Just thought of something else to try: see if you can ping out to an external IP address instead of a hostname.

i.e., instead of 'ping google.com' try 'ping 172.217.3.110'.

If that fails, then it's a general network config problem and not just a nameserver issue.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 05:39:58 AM »
What result do you get with typing 'which ping' in a shell?