Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org looks great!  (Read 2925 times)

Description:

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: Amiga.org looks great!
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 15, 2004, 02:12:16 PM »
And I really am Robert Kennedy. And I agree, AmigaWorld now has a cleaner, easier to use, look and feel than Amiga.org.

Well, hello Mr. Kennedy.

I prefered AmigaWorld's previous look before it took on that chunky and garish OS4 titlebar theme. But anyway, a website isn't "better" just because it looks better. IMO, the content, the people, and the more balanced news here are far, far better than AmigaWorld's. I don't want to hear news from just one side all the time, or "can we have a port of this" and "let's petition for this" threads, or the obligatory "my 030 Amiga is faster than any PC!" threads. :-)

Offline restore2003

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2004, 02:13:05 PM »
@iama:

I agree, just dont like that orange/brown color though :-)
If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2004, 02:20:36 PM »

Well, hello Mr. Kennedy.

I prefered AmigaWorld's previous look before it took on that chunky and garish OS4 titlebar theme. But anyway, a website isn't "better" just because it looks better. IMO, the content, the people, and the more balanced news here are far, far better than AmigaWorld's. I don't want to hear news from just one side all the time, or "can we have a port of this" and "let's petition for this" threads, or the obligatory "my 030 Amiga is faster than any PC!" threads. :-)

Would you care to provide statistics of the prevalence of these kind of threads on amigaworld.net compared to, amiga.org, ann.lu etc?

I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence to back up your last bunch of claims about amigaworld.net.

Dave.
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2004, 02:26:50 PM »
I'm afraid I can't explain due to legal reasons.

(:lol:)

(Which is just a way of saying: if you want to start yet another AO vs. AW flame war, do it without me.)

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2004, 02:34:39 PM »
No, I don't want to start any kind of flamewar, however it amazes me that you seem to want to so frequently.

If you are going to continue to make snide remarks about a site with the frequency that you do then I suggest that you back it up with some collateral in future, then it will actually start to look indeed like your intent and your words match - that you do not wish to start a flamewar.

PS, you might also realise that the "legal reasons" thing was to do with Eyetech and not Amigaworld.net.

Oh and as to the site, its a good clean look at the moment, the only thing that clashes to me is the particular shade of orange you have at the top. But that could be my retina shot ;)
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2004, 02:53:32 PM »
I think both sites look great, but it's true. The fact of the matter is people go to websites because the site contains what they want to see, and in a simple way. Why the heck else would sites like Aminet be such a big thing? I'll also point out google, which has a picture at the top and that's it...
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2004, 03:08:23 PM »

KennyR wrote:
IMO, the content, the people, and the more balanced news here are far, far better than AmigaWorld's.

hold on there about the people - I use both sites. But one of the reasons why I started to use Amiga.org less is in part due to some people being miserable buggers - always moaning about everything, always finding fault and general being quite sour!
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

Offline SnowBord

• Show only replies by SnowBord
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2004, 03:55:08 PM »
rubbish. brown and bland. old look far better. total regression.

sort out the Times New Roman generic font and add some style sheets.
i like the glowing aspect of the nav bar at the top, but the text is too anti-aliased.
hate the brown.
Generally looks too 'font missing hence i will revert to default topaz'.
seriously, looks still work in progress, unfinished.
as for miserable buggers on Amiga.org, I agree. moaning bar stewards the lot of em. :)

seriously, it doesn't look finished or presentable. embarassing to other platforms if we're meant to show off what the amiga is about.

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2004, 04:04:35 PM »

KennyR wrote:
I prefered AmigaWorld's previous look before it took on that chunky and garish OS4 titlebar theme. But anyway, a website isn't "better" just because it looks better. IMO, the content, the people...

Well, Ken, since we are at the moment talking purely about the site design... ;-)

I think AW looks pretty neat these days. Apart from the all-caps 'AMIGAWORLD.NET' banner... that's horrible. :-D

My main problem with Amiga.org's look right now is the big, unbroken block of grey that makes up the majority of most pages. It makes me feel claustrophobic, the blue broke things up very nicely before. Oh, and the Workbench 1.3 monstrosity above ;-)

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2004, 04:18:43 PM »
i'm still looking around - i just got here and it will take me a few days to get used to this new look. it's interesting to say the least!
one thing i did notice right away: I'm going to have to get off my lazy azz and actually make myself an AV as the old ones are gone.

it's probably just as well.

and we don't have smilies! ah well.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline that_punk_guy

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »

cecilia wrote:
I'm going to have to get off my lazy azz and actually make myself an AV as the old ones are gone.

The old one looked really cool next to your name... you made it your own.

Oh well :-(

Offline SklEr0

• Show only replies by SklEr0
    • http://www.sklero.it
Mi PIACEEEEEE!!!! =D
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2004, 04:27:50 PM »
God job guys!

[italian]
Bellissimo lavoro ragazzi, complimenti a tutto lo staff!
[/italian]

Offline quiesce

• Show only replies by quiesce
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2004, 04:29:26 PM »
I much prefer this look. The previous layout was very condensed in comparison. This version makes effective use of space. It also bears a slight resemblance to /. (does it use the same engine?) which I appreciate.

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2004, 05:00:26 PM »
Well, here's my input: It's not bad, and I assume things will improve, however, I do get the feeling that when reading the forums the body of the message is now more squished between the left/right thread side-bars and the post-side bar (the part where the avatar is located). Perhaps they're the same size as before and that the new colour scheme makes it only seem that way, but that's one thing I've noticed so far. The other is that quotes are not as easily identifiable as they are only indented, while before they also had a nice little divider breaking it apart from the rest of the post. However the old divider was kinda cumbersome, I would suggest using either a different font or different background colour for quoted text.

Having said that, the new look isn't bad, and I think people will get used to it with time. I was hoping that the new version of Xoops would have a spelling checker built into the edit window and perhaps a quick edit feature, but no big deal really.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Acill

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2004, 05:40:15 PM »
I miss the look of the old site myself, but only the look. I love the new fatures of the site now. Just make the theme look simular to the older site is all it needs.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline that_punk_guy

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2004, 05:51:36 PM »

Glaucus wrote:
I do get the feeling that when reading the forums the body of the message is now more squished between the left/right thread side-bars and the post-side bar (the part where the avatar is located).

I don't think there was a right side-bar on the forum view before, so maybe that's it. Unless my brain's gone insane. You're right it does look kinda squishy, it forces the posts into a narrow band and it's uncomfortable to read.