Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: are there any NEW Users of Amiga machines out there?  (Read 2280 times)

Description:

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
Re: are there any NEW Users of Amiga machines out there?
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 13, 2012, 04:40:40 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;711184

I was born and raised Atari in the late 70s early 80s.

Ah wow, no offence but I had you down as being a lot older than born late 70s/80s, I thought you were some retired guy with a nice collection of classic machines.  Had no idea you were late 20s/30s though, think I've only ever heard your voice on your vids.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 11:17:48 PM »
And I'd guess you could call me a newbie.
Well not really chronologically.
I've been using computers since they late 70's.
During the Amiga's heyday, I was working for a company that sold 68K based OS9 systems.
I've always been fond of 68K based systems and was smart enough to know how much better the Amiga was then Apple's Mac.

These days, I dabble with NG OS', but I've frequently considered buying a 1200 or 4000.
Problem is, I'm pretty satisfied with emulation and MorphOS. If UAE under MorphOS featured JIT support, I'd be perfectly happy staying with what I've got.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 05:29:33 AM »
Quote from: danwood;711285
Ah wow, no offence but I had you down as being a lot older than born late 70s/80s, I thought you were some retired guy with a nice collection of classic machines.  Had no idea you were late 20s/30s though, think I've only ever heard your voice on your vids.

Um, no, you misunderstand.  I was a teen during that time, born in the 60s, so when Atari came out with the 2600 in the 70s, that is where I started.  So, I am in my mid to later 40s.  :banana:

So born 60s, a kid of the 70s and 80s, when I could afford to buy my own gear.

Now I would guess you ar actually in your later 20s early to mid 30s.  

TJ
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:31:43 AM by amigasociety »
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 12:01:13 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;711363
Um, no, you misunderstand.  I was a teen during that time, born in the 60s, so when Atari came out with the 2600 in the 70s, that is where I started.  So, I am in my mid to later 40s.  :banana:

So born 60s, a kid of the 70s and 80s, when I could afford to buy my own gear.

Now I would guess you ar actually in your later 20s early to mid 30s.  

TJ

Ah sorry TJ I must learn to read more carefully!  You have a great collection of machines :)

Yeah I am,  jealous I missed out on that magical era of computing though.

Offline SirGraham

• Show only replies by SirGraham
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »
I'm re-new to the scene.

I purchased an A500 in Christmas 1990. No hard disc (was very expensive), not even a second disc drive. Can't remember exactly the time, I inserted a memory expansion so the machine had 1 mb RAM. Besides, I bought 1084S monitor.

In 2000, I sold the whole cheap (machine, magazines, games, a good but broken joystick) but the monitor, that I sold a bit later.

In 2006, the feeling that I NEEDED an Amiga was beginning to grow in me. The reason? I had to see so many things I missed: workbench better than old 1.3, games, applications, a C/C++ compiler...

This year, in march, I found this on the net: A4000T, 68060@50 mHz, 64 mb, CyberVision 64/3D, ImpactVision 24, 2 gb SCSI hard drive. Obviously, I wrote the seller who, with no hurry (aagggghhh!!!!), was answering my mails. In june, I picked the machine. Now, without any kind of doubts, life is much better.

Offline nickoteen

• Show only replies by nickoteen
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 07:40:42 PM »
To answer the question in subject, yes, there are !

In the beginning of the 90-is two things happend. The golden age (or the original wave as some1 called it) of the Amiga scene/movement ... which I've completely missed out becouse of the second thing that happend. The war in Yugoslavia. So, as it happens with wars, the living standards droped exponentialy, the wages went down, we were struggling for survival and there was NO way my folks would EVER buy me an Amiga ... or any computer for that matter. I was 13 years old, and in a way, I feel like me childhood was stolen from me. Most of my friends had home computers (mostly Amigas and Ataris, some C64s etc) except me. As I was growing up I've seen the fall of Commodore (and Atari for that matter), the more and more powerfull PCs popping out of every corner ... everywhere ... to to point where you could buy one in a house appliance stores, right next to the washing machines. Anyhow, I finally got my first Amiga (500) two years ago. Don't get me wrong, I could've get it earlier, but it happend 2 years ago as a gift. A friend gave it to me, and just like a trigger reaction (must have brought those missed childhood years back to mind) I now own two A500 machines, 1084s, 3 external fdds, loads of books and software, a working Amiga Explorer setup, lots of peripherals like joysticks, joypads, KS switcher boards etc ... am seriously looking at Mika's IDE and Kipper's RAM boards, and am preparing to buy A1200 becouse ... you know, AGA is AGA. :) Soo ... yeap, new user here alright.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:45:44 PM by nickoteen »
Amiga 500: 1MB chip/8MB fast/Ide68k - 2GB SD/KS 3.1/MC68010/FULL ECS