Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...  (Read 32478 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 24, 2011, 08:08:48 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;640026
@Franko

Very odd, I can't find the boot 68k disk on the AROS website... here is my build:

http://www.cutiemish.com/bootdisk-amiga-m68k.adf

@bloodline, franko:
its contained in the "distfiles" directory of aros68k archive

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »
@franko:
file name length is mainly a limitation of used file system on amiga. you can use pfs3
http://aminet.net/disk/misc/PFS3_53.lha
which has become open source and freeware these days.
install it on a partition, watch for the right dostype. then consult pfs3.guide and set the right filename lengt with pfs3directory../tools/setfnsize from the shell.
should be enough guidance for an old amigan. if you need a step-by step i will return to it.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »
Quote from: Franko;640032
Cheers Wawrzon, I'll give the ADF Bloodline kindly supplied first... :)

PS: Wawa... hmm... sounds more like an ewok than a hobbit now that I think about it, need to have a look through me Star Wars collection and see if I can find you... :)

its short for polish "wawrzyniec", means "laurent". lol. best use the adf from the current nightly. use adf2disk from aminet to decompress it to a floppy. older versions may interact strangely with current aros build.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 11:14:44 AM »
@bloodline:
??
why dont you check the current nightly, and its softkick image?
i booted 1200/blizzard60 with aros no problems few days ago last time. not disabling anything. you just have to choose df0: as your boot device in early startup to softkick from floppy (and best have installed aros on highest priority boot partition on hd).
i have no blizzard scsi, so used internal ide, but toni assured me this work too.

the problem is with a4ks, especially csppc, this is just becoming supported, but 1200 was no problem when i first tried.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 07:45:30 PM »
franko, listen, ive mentioned above that cyberstorm ppc is a troublemaker here. it has not bootstraped aros last time i tried. it can be easily assumed blizzard ppc will be a similar culprit. replace your accel wit a pure 68k and it will work most likely.

besides, i think these issues are ironed out soon, toni is working on it.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »
aros 68k is going to be/is binary compatible, any other aros platform - certainly not. (transparent) emulation would have to be used (which is in works as far as i understand) which is exactly how mos and os4 dealt with it.
@franko: so there is no need for uae on aros68k of course. that wouldnt make sense.
@hotrod: whats wrong with os3.1 as base? i dont see that much that os 3.5-3.9 added to that, except some minor functionality that aros provides nevertheless and some ugly icons. besides the looks of os4 are not that much better too, the icons and the default skin especially. and the functionality of its workbench reminds me of the times of 3.x as well. not that it was sooo bad.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;640775
You make it sound like not much has happened between 3.1-4.1 which must be a joke or you not knowing what you're talking about. Regarding the icons for AOS 4.1 upd 2 I think they are beautiful.

Either way, AROS needs to get "minor functionality" added and look better. Not that it's all that is needed, it just doesn't feal mature enough yet and behind both aos and mos.

would like to hear about these groundbreaking features. usb2 anyone? firewire? overall fast accelerated 3d support? nice productivity package included? perhaps hardware compositing, skin system and windows shadows are worth to name?

beautiful icons, okay, they are acceptable if not much to my liking. and as i said, aros and glowicons are ugly too, no excuse, morphos would get a better overall note.