Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...  (Read 32408 times)

Description:

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Re: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »
Of course MorphOS. It is the most polished and versatile OS. AROS holds quite some potential but isn't as polished as MorphOS.

@ Franko
You change your opinion about MorphOS quite often. I'd suggest to read http://via.i-networx.de/wim.htm again or - even better - check out yourself the current version on a powerful G4. Or have a pint, or two - Cheers!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 10:41:33 PM »
from the ng alternatives mos looks most polished of course.
os4 stands on the second place by the looks of it though it is in obviously many areas technically inferior to aros.
aros is still a wip construct, though there is apparently some exchange with mprphos and from all three (or four if 3.x counted in) it is the single open source solution and therefore it has most chances, not even because it runs on x68 too.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:23:19 AM by wawrzon »

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 11:02:33 PM »
MorphOS is way ahead of any and all of the competition in the Amiga field. And MorphOS is the only one that has shown an ability to move Far Forward Fast (relatively speaking)! Not open source, so its development is entirely controlled by the development team. OTOH, open source isn't necessarily the best way forward; it could very well mean very slow and unstructured development in an anarchistic way with no goals. That's not good, if you want "the best way forward".
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 11:16:34 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;639195
MorphOS is way ahead of any and all of the competition in the Amiga field. And MorphOS is the only one that has shown an ability to move Far Forward Fast (relatively speaking)! Not open source, so its development is entirely controlled by the development team. OTOH, open source isn't necessarily the best way forward; it could very well mean very slow and unstructured development in an anarchistic way with no goals. That's not good, if you want "the best way forward".

Agree, it is way forward.

But picture yourself 50 years forward. What are you gonna run then, 55 year old Mac with MOS or latest mainstream architecture with AROS, wtf,,,  50 years from now, AROS might just become very usable as a workstation (if the concept of a workstation computer is still around then).
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;639195

morphos even being closed source has gathered most talented amiga developers in its ranks, but how long does it last without fresh blood? no non-commercial but still closed source project like morphos can improve its dynamics, in my opinion, it can only sustain that as long as possible. this is why os4 and mos are doomed in a long therm, im afraid. its *not* what i wish, just to be clear! while aros does not get much attention compared to both others, not to speek of attracting "young blood" it gets quite a drive lately.

Offline Rodomoc

• Show only replies by Rodomoc
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »
Comment made on a controlled OS development strategy.... I like this very much as I am design engineer in much different industry. I have no idea to what degree this is employed by the various OS camps. I do know that MorphOS ran quite well and had a solid, put together feel about it. In reading their various reading materials, I think much of the under-the-hood stuff in MorphOS is pretty decent. I have always been a Cybergraphx fan from my 68K RTG perspective. The other video system aspects are also quite efficient and exhibit good speed on quite old Radeon video hardware, and the look/feel of Ambient is quite good. I like how easy Morph installed onto the Efika. It was a few mouse clicks, that's it. So the building blocks look to be pretty good in MorphOS. If this was a result of some controlled developer strategy, then good job I say. I am still hunting for some g4 powermac hardware to jump into this game better. They are quite cheap I see. MorphOS would really get my attention with g4 powerbook support. Maybe some day.

Aros/Icaros version has a nice appearance to it. I do not think Wanderer is quite as nice as Ambient but it is basic and works. I think the accelerated video drivers are a good thing. Even in VESA mode running from live DVD, I was able to screen drag smoothly with all screen contents staying rock solid. Aros is coming along and I will support it. The fact I could download the dvd image, burn it, and then immediately boot cleanly on my Dell Precision M65 laptop all in less than 1/2 hour was excellent.

I took a quick look at Aros 68K this afternoon. I had it 1/2 way functioning in a winuae configuration. I see it is receiving a lot of attention lately. Which is good because my hopes are that it runs well on anything 68k (amiga, uae, fpga stuff). Call me lazy but I am getting tired of tweaking and patching up my original 3.x based OS. Aros 68K offers the opportunity to have 1000 fixes rolled into a polished OS. Count me in.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
Aros is at 51.72%.
Arm is bi-endian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:29:22 AM by trekiej »
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 02:16:03 AM »
Hi,

First of all I see no promise in anything associated with PPC, therefore I am in favor of AROS, which looks the most promising to me. I don't like MorphOS because they are more MAC ass-ociated. I hate anything to do with MAC's, it was the most god awful computer ever made for people who know absolutely nothing about computers. Wouldn't even have one in my house. So

My Vote is

(Drum roll please)

AROS

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2011, 02:45:03 AM »
Your Anti-Apple/Mac sentiments are old news (and personally I don't think  based on anything but an emotional response of yours), so I don't know why you keep using it against the MorphOS Development Team.  They have only chosen to support PPC Mac computers because there are/were no other good choices for them to easily port MorphOS to.  Nothing that makes sense, given the time and effort it would take for porting to another architecture and the best available hardware for price and performance.  They have made the best choice for their time constraints and for the users pocket books.  Besides, MorphOS2.x runs very well on the Pegasos1 & 2 and Efika platforms, which are not Apple products.

As much as I like MorphOS2.x and see it as the best choice for today, I voted for AROS, as I see it as the best chance in the future.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline trekiej

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2011, 02:52:37 AM »
Open Source
Closed Source
Closed Source
Some Other Source
A Source of Pancakes
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline smerf

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2011, 03:04:47 AM »
Hi,

@Amigadave,

Sorry to upset you, but last I heard this is the Amiga.org site, not the MAC.org site, where does an OS made for MAC's fit in on this site.

You probably could say the same thing for UAE emulators, but you also have to remember that Cloanto's Amiga Forever is an Amiga Emulator and has the Amiga name attached to it.

MorphOS has no association at all with Amiga, and ever since they dropped the original version and switched mostly to MAC's they should take their propaganda to a MAC site and display their software there.

Sorry, but this is the way I feel about MorphOS. A MAC OS made for MAC's.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2011, 03:15:12 AM »
This was a loaded question from the start.

For 68k Amigas, there is obviously only one choice.  That is Aros.  MorphOS is not 68k, and neither is OS4.  It may work on PPC computers that use an old Amiga as a backplane, but it is not an OS for fully classic Amigas.

If your going to count OSes that run on non-Amiga hardware, you have an entirely different conversation, and as much as some people will hate to hear it, it includes COS.

For non-Amiga Amigas, the future is likely COS running UAE with AmigaOS 1.0-3.x or ArosX86 running UAE and Aros68k for classic compatibility.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2011, 03:16:24 AM »
Dave, basically Smerf is a troll. I would not bother attempting to reason with him as he has a closed mind.
Frankly I'm solidly behind PPC, whether we're talking about AOS4 or MorphOS.
AROS is interesting, but I'd rather not run my OS on an X86.
As MorphOS is designed to run Amiga software and MorphOS specific software and re-implements 3.1 system calls, Smerfs opinions are idiotic.
MorphOs runs no Mac software and is the most advanced NG OS available for the Amiga market.
If that isn't an association with the Amiga, I don't know what is.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2011, 03:18:13 AM »
@smerf,

I am not the one who is upset and non-objective about this subject.  A Mac computer is just a piece of hardware, no different than a HP, or Compaq, or IBM, or any other brand name.   Why it upsets you so much that the MorphOS Dev. Team has taken advantage to use the best PPC computers available to them is purely an emotional problem of yours, not an objective reason.  MorphOS is just as "Amiga" as AmigaOS4.x, or any other Amiga-Like system, if not more so.  You are just too blind to see it and conveniently disregard the fact that it also runs on Non-Mac systems.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline smerf

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2011, 04:03:53 AM »
Hi,

@amigadave,

The only thing I was really upset about with Morphos was that they took down the classic Amiga morphos. I will now give my apology to the morphos team because they have now reset the classic Amiga Morphos board back up. I have just downloaded Morphos for my A1200 (a real Amiga) and will now apologize for my saying that it is a MAC OS for MAC computers. It is now an OS for Amiga computers, and yes I do have a problem with Apple made computers, they are not a real computer, they were made by a egotistical jerk, and personally I would not own one if they gave it to me.

At one time I thought about getting a mini MAC G4, then I took my meds and came back to reality.

Got to go and see if I can get MorphOS running on my A1200 (a real Amiga computer not a wannabe MAC) Thank you MorphOS team, once again. Even if I don't get it running, I will always appreciate this day, and say nothing bad about MorphOS again. I also bought OS 4.1 for the classic Amiga today, it truly must be the end of the world, or maybe just an early Xmas.

smerf

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #59 from previous page: May 21, 2011, 04:28:43 AM »
Actually i thought Smerf was right. But only half right. I think Morphos is the best Amigaos available but i would never use it full time. I don't like the hardware it runs on. I want to use an Amiga not an Apple.

As for hardware alternatives to run non Apple Morphos, like what? Pegasus? Efika? Can you name anything that is readily available and modern?

I also disagree that Apple is just another hardware company. It's not. I saw on tv this morning scientists comparing Apple to a religion. When was the last time HP was compared to a religion? Never. There are a couple of reasons why i don't want to use Apple hardware but mainly i don't want to be an Apple fanboy in denial. I also don't want people to think i'm too cheap to use a real Apple os and instead am using a cheaper mediocre substitute.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.