Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...  (Read 31589 times)

Description:

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
Re: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »
I voted other.  I would have said 4.0 but it is not compatable with classic machines.  Classic Amiga's are my main area of interest in the Amiga world.  I guess my vote goes to 3.9.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »
AROS. Since it's open source it can go anywhere, even in multiple directions. It can even lie dormant for years and someone could just pick up the torch one day and keep going.

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »
Either Linux or Windows based...it's the only way!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 02:37:04 PM »
-aros for now.
@bloodline: you can softkick aros on real amiga already now.

see my post (#13) here:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57421

TheBilgeRat:
download the current nightly. in the distfiles folder you will find an adf archive of a boot floppy. using f.i diskimage device (http://aminet.net/disk/misc/diskimage.m68k-aos.zip)
you will be able to decompress it to a real floppy. also the best is to prepare aros boot partition on a hard disk (just coppy the content of nightly to it and mark the partition as bootable).

now, boot from the prepared floppy drive, which will extract the aros kickstart to ram and boot from there. you can recognize aros kickstart booting by dirty-ocker-yellow color on screen (lol). if you have a bootable aros harddisk partition attached to the system (preferably via internal ide or accelerator scsi) chances are that your system will boot to wanderer. be sure to have it a highest priority hd.
i have tested and can confirm a4k 030/040/060 as working, except for csppc. also many configs of a1200 work, in particular blizzard 1260. there is problem wit elbox fastata so far i see.

anyways further testers would be very welcome.

(i thought you would know)
sorry for spelling and typos. my bad.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:40:59 PM by wawrzon »

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 03:32:28 PM »
I voted OS4 because it looks like it needed a bit more support in the poll. (Being a new OS4 owner)

However, in all truth, AROS is the way forward IMO, if nothing else than because it's open-source. Targetting x86 helps make it accessible also.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 03:43:01 PM »
@CSixx
sounds really like a valid reason to support os4. any other thoughts?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 03:57:10 PM »
I voted AROS because of its potential, however, MorphOS its the best OS currently.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »
OS4.x+ ported to x86

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 04:11:26 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;639111
@CSixx
sounds really like a valid reason to support os4. any other thoughts?

I have yet to receive it (I just purchased the classic 4.1). Once I've installed and had a bit to play, I'll definitely be posting my thoughts.

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »
Quote from: Franko;639050

MorphOS, I've only ever experienced this on a very old version on a real Amiga with a PPC board. I have to say it was just awful and totally useless, from what I know of it now and have seen and read on various sites it's actually even worse now than the old version I tried and seems to me personally to be of little value or use in regard to having a new OS that at least give you that feeling that you're still using an Amiga. So for me I reckon MorphOS is best consigned to the dustbin... :)

Nice troll.

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 04:37:51 PM »
Quote from: Fab;639121
Nice troll.

Thank you... I thought so myself... ;)

But it's actually better than that, I killed two birds with one stone with this thread... :)

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
Didn't vote, because I think the best way forward for 68020+ with chipset is to write a completely new OS from scratch, without any kind of AOS compatibility. The problem is of course that all software has to be written from scratch, too... Hmm, problematic, isn't it?

Offline Rodomoc

• Show only replies by Rodomoc
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »
I vote Aros mainly because it is open sourced. It has a ways to go obviously but in reviewing the last distribution of Icaros, it is progressing well. I hear it is also near to becoming a useful 68K entity. This would be good for upcoming FPGA hardware projects but legacy stuff too. And finally, it is portable to other hardware.

I do happen to like MorphOS and have reviewed on an Efika hardware setup. It seems tightly constructed. And ran quite well on a miserable thing like Efika. As much as Aros makes sense, MorphOS remains intriguing. Nice OS with good developers behind it. Maybe just not as many 3rd party developers like the other ppc operating system.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »
Quote from: Fab;639121
Nice troll.

Dead on, as MorphOS 1.X and MorphOS2.x are different creatures.
You all know my bias, so I won't bother restating it.
Actually for 68K and X86 AROS makes sense.
But for PPC, MorphOS all the way baby.

And here's a bet, no matter what you use in the future, MorphOs will be better
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline rdolores

• Show only replies by rdolores
    • http://www.rdolores.com
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 05:59:34 PM »
In the long term, AROS is the most feasible.  OS4.x is based on hardware that does not have a future roadmap.  MorphOS is based on old Mac hardware which is limited in quantity.  AROS is based on hardware that is plentiful and has ongoing development.  I've tried the latest versions of both ICAROS Desktop and Broadway and they have really come quite a way from their beginnings.  They are becoming more stable with each release.  And the support for hardware is great.  I have ICAROS 1.2.6 on a Dell OptiPlex GX280 with 3.2 GHz HT CPU, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB HD and an NVidia GS8400 512 MB PCI-e video card.  The built-in AC97 audio works.  Even the DVD drive is recognized.  I got a cheap 3COM NIC for networking.  I run it on a 20" WS LCD screen in 1680x1050 resolution.

On the software side, OWB works pretty well, but could be a bit faster.  MPlayer is nice.  I would like to see a decent office package.  Right now, i just go into Janus-UAE, where I installed my old productivity software to do office stuff.  There is actually quite a lot of software for AROS now.  Hopefully, printing support will come soon.

And the other cool thing which I don't see on others, is pull-down screens just like the classic Amigas.  Pretty cool, and actually quite useful.
A1000 - 2 Floppies, 2 MB RAM, OS 1.0-1.3
A500 - 170 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, OS 1.3/2.04
A2000 - 350 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 2.04
A2500 - 540 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 3.9
A1200 - 20 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, Blizzard IV
Amithlon - 49 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, PIII-1G
AROS - 80 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, P4-3.2GHz

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 20, 2011, 06:36:25 PM »
Would there be a possibility of a virtual machine like Virtualbox running in AROS?  Might solve some of the issues of software.  A Crossover type system might be nice but it would be easier to just port open office than get something like that running.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.