Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Workbench Disk Sets... What Would Be The Best Way To Obtain Them...  (Read 48880 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: Workbench Disk Sets... What Would Be The Best Way To Obtain Them...
« Reply #404 from previous page: May 22, 2011, 08:31:01 AM »
Quote from: desiv;639406
And as I have been saying that you are arguing semantics (allowing us both to have valid opinions), I was specifically NOT trying to win the argument..

You are entitled to your opinion, but you started arguing with me.

While I agree that being involved with the copyright office and the fact copyright is in the name would indicate that it has something to do with copyright, nothing within the act itself has added or removed anything from copyright law.

The saying "never judge a book by it's cover" is appropriate.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #405 on: May 22, 2011, 08:51:47 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;639255
That wouldn't help a hell of a lot for those of us who don't have a current-gen console, now, would it? Certainly VC and the like are cool services for console owners, and it's neat that the manufacturers are finally starting to cotton to the idea that gamers might like to play stuff that's older than five years, but some of us would just like to play our games on the real thing, thankyoumuch.

Well go buy a second hand copy then. There are plenty around & right now with so much piracy people are just putting them in land fill.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #406 on: May 22, 2011, 08:57:38 AM »
Quote from: Franko;639262
as usual they failed to even comprehend the original topic and question... :(

The answer to the topic is: for real floppy disks buy NOS original sets from amigakit or second hand originals. For emulation in any guise (minimig, mcc216 & natami counts as emulation) then amiga forever.

Offline digiflip

• Show only replies by digiflip
« Reply #407 on: May 22, 2011, 09:22:17 AM »
Has any one tried to getting anything amiga out of gateway? since they own amiga ip

http://uk.gateway.com/contact.html
Neptuno, Ultimate MiSTer, vidor Replay, a500+ pistorming, a1200 stock, V4 SA

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
« Reply #408 on: May 22, 2011, 09:37:27 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;639430
The answer to the topic is: for real floppy disks buy NOS original sets from amigakit or second hand originals. For emulation in any guise (minimig, mcc216 & natami counts as emulation) then amiga forever.

If Minimig, MCC216 and Natami counts as emulation, then something like C64DTV counts as emulation too. The transistors and logic gates are just as real in a FPGA as they are in a industrially constructed ASIC.
If the C64DTV counts as emulation too, then basically every reconstruction of a certain chipset ever is going to count as emulation only, even if one made a carbon copy of an A1200.

I do not think that is going to hold up legally at all. Cloanto has gotten a license for providing software for UAE use only, and that is what they state in their FAQ.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #409 on: May 22, 2011, 11:48:45 AM »
Quote from: Forcie;639438
If the C64DTV counts as emulation too, then basically every reconstruction of a certain chipset ever is going to count as emulation only, even if one made a carbon copy of an A1200.

C64DTV does count as an emulation.

A carbon copy of an A1200 wouldn't be an emulation, however you would be violating copyright by making a direct copy.

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
« Reply #410 on: May 22, 2011, 11:56:46 AM »
So, a recreation of an A1200 would not be an emulation, but as soon as you start to change or add something like a port or a graphics mode it starts becoming an emulation again? I do not agree.

But very well. No matter what your personal definition of emulation is, Cloanto only have a license to distribute software for use with UAE only and they clearly state that themselves. Therefore, your recommendation of using AmigaForever as a legal means to get operating system software for the aforementioned platforms is not a very good one.

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #411 on: May 22, 2011, 04:05:53 PM »
Quote from: Franko;635581
As it turned out, this thread was a waste of time... :)

Not by a long shot :cool:
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #412 on: May 22, 2011, 04:20:58 PM »
Quote from: Lord Aga;639471
Not by a long shot :cool:

Ahh.. a cryptic message... just what I needed... :rolleyes:

Possibilities are...

A) Someone who genuinely supports what I am trying to do...
B) Someone from Cloanto or a supporter of them, thinks they have found something to make a legal case out of...
C) A nutter...
D) My other self posting under a new name and I haven't told myself about it yet...

Take yer pick... ;)

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #413 on: May 22, 2011, 05:34:41 PM »
http://www.care2.com/causes/womens-rights/blog/woman-arrested-for-driving-in-saudi-arabia/

This woman was arrested for posting a video on the internet of herself driving!! OMG!

Sounds like some people in here.  

Woman are not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia, so they are trying to get get together through the Internet to teach each other how to drive. They think they should have a right to know how to drive in cases of emergency, such as having having a heart attack, dieing child, etc.

Cloanto follwers....err I mean men of Saudi Arabia claim this is ridiculous and that the law is clear--- you can already buy AmigaForever and get ADFs.....err I mean, "women both Saudi and foreign, are forbidden to drive in Saudi Arabia;  women must hire a driver for $300 - $400 a month. "
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:37:01 PM by AmigaHeretic »
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #414 on: May 22, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
@ AmigaHeretic

I suppose these women could get an emulator to drive the car for them (all done virtually of course) and that way they wouldn't be a danger to society, unless the emulator happens to crash due to running a dodgy version of WorkBench on it or worse one download from my site... :)

Pretty sure there's a site out there selling such an emulator or failing that they might find something on AmiNet for free... :)

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #415 on: May 22, 2011, 05:44:41 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;639430

It seems that the answer is now for Floppies, use Google and pirate them, and for emulation, download the free WinUAE or UAE and either grab ROMS from your own computer or trusty Google again.  This whole thread has soured me terribly on Cloanto.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #416 on: May 22, 2011, 06:15:17 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;639492
It seems that the answer is now for Floppies, use Google and pirate them, and for emulation, download the free WinUAE or UAE and either grab ROMS from your own computer or trusty Google again.  This whole thread has soured me terribly on Cloanto.

I agree.  I've been a big fan of Cloanto's Amiga Forever package and bought several copies over the years.  I won't "buy" another.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Fraggle1

• Show only replies by Fraggle1
« Reply #417 on: May 22, 2011, 07:25:47 PM »
"This whole thread has soured me terribly on Cloanto."

Me too. I used to support them, because at least they bring a product to market, (whether you find it useful or not is your own concern) but they've handled this whole affair very badly indeed.
They could have explained themselves right here, so that everyone understood their position, or they could have PM'd Franko & explained it. I'm sure he would have listened to their point of view if it was put to him in a level, reasoned way.

Instead they chose a route that makes them look very poor indeed without answering the question originally posed in this thread. The resulting "discussion" (I use the term loosely, lol) has probably alerted a large number of potential customers that a similar (if not better) package to their own can be put together for free.
If the intention was simply to 'protect' their own interests, then I'd say they just scored a beauty of an own goal.

Offline Damion

« Reply #418 on: May 22, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
and for emulation, download the free WinUAE or UAE and either grab ROMS from your own computer

The resulting "discussion" (I use the term loosely, lol) has probably alerted a large number of potential customers that a similar (if not better) package to their own can be put together for free.

Like this hasn't already been common knowledge for the last 15 years...

Offline Fraggle1

• Show only replies by Fraggle1
« Reply #419 on: May 22, 2011, 09:53:56 PM »
"Like this hasn't already been common knowledge for the last 15 years..."

Typical amiga.org smartass facecious comment. Not everyone has been here for 15 years. Comprende ?