Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is MorphOS - a brief introduction for users familiar with C= Amiga  (Read 6112 times)

Description:

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
Re: What is MorphOS - a brief introduction for users familiar with C= Amiga
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 03:40:10 PM »
Quote from: Franko;611822
Thought you'd have known by now that I still don't have an RTG board on my Amiga and also as I've also said before I'm not into nice looking WB screens or eye candy, to me it's running the apps that count or being able to easily run things from the CLI/SHELL... :)

Have a look here for some alternative MorphOS skins, it can look rather plain if you prefer that.
~

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 04:04:06 PM »
As usual once people start flashing nice MOS screenshots I go looking for cheap MacMini :-)
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline pVC

Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 04:15:03 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;611784
Since I discovered there are still ppl who don't know what MorphOS actually is, I wrote a brieft introduction (it's just a 5 minute read) for those already familiar with Amiga to get a first idea about it. Some screen shots provide additional information.
Find it here: http://via.i-networx.de/wim.htm

Thanks much for providing this overview. Covered a couple of things I still had questions about!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »
So googledocs works fine then?

I havent put off the idea, but if I am going to shell out for a "new" amiga system, it must have compatibility with modern office formats to some extent, so that'd be nice.

Any way to create PDF files? (does google docs do this?)

PowerPC macs dont seem super cheap atm on craigs list. WHats the specs people would recommend for Morph OS? I see powermacs are supported and most of those are in the 500 ghz range it seems, whereas the mac minis seem a lot beefier.

How much fuss is installation?

I assume full support for USB 2, gamepads etc ?

For apps that can install and run natively, does this work from adf or can I copy an installation from a real amiga or?

Examples of popular applications that will work? (final writer 97, Dpaint etc)

multiple screens / screen dragging?

.info files?

Dumb question maybe but wireless support?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:45:16 PM by runequester »

Offline zyleseaTopic starter

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 05:03:19 PM »
Quote from: runequester;611848

I havent put off the idea, but if I am going to shell out for a "new" amiga system, it must have compatibility with modern office formats to some extent, so that'd be nice.

Google doc provides export to pdf, .doc., .odt, .rtf, .html. All in all it works rather well.

PowerPC macs dont seem super cheap atm on craigs list. WHats the specs people would recommend for Morph OS? I see powermacs are supported and most of those are in the 500 ghz range it seems, whereas the mac minis seem a lot beefier.
I think 1Ghz is enough for most things. But there are a few hings where even mor cpu power is required (720p video). I think 720p requires 1.42 GHz at least.

installation takes a few minutes only. The installation is hassleless requires no extra booting in between.
usb 2.0 is supported, but no isochronous mode though (e.g.usb sound cards).

For apps that can install and run natively, does this work from adf or can I copy an installation from a real amiga or?

.info files?

.adfs are used for uae only, you better install straightly from cd, usb, network or an attached hdd.
DPaint V is said to work, DPIV not. Finalwriter works, TV-Paint works, Photogenics works.
Multiple screens work as well, screen dragging is not supported (though there is a 3rd party tool, but it is rather of little benefit).
icons are stored as .info files. sysem is compatible to original icons, new icons, glow icons. MorphOS preferred icons are png icons though.
WLAN is not really supported, best work around is a eth/WLAN adapter.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 05:04:06 PM »

A few programs have direct output to PDF. There's no direct PDF print driver, but the print system is built around TurboPrint, so you've got PostScript/GhostScript output that you can convert to PDF pretty easily.

The biggest performance problem on the PowerUp version was probably the lack of RAM/VRAM, so any Mac should be fine. VRAM issues on 32MB machines still pop up at very high resolutions in "enhanced display" mode, so be aware of that.

First-time setup for dual booting with OSX takes a bit of work, but nothing too major. If you're trashing the OSX partitions or performing an upgrade it's almost no effort at all.

Through Poseidon, yes.

Either of these works.

Almost anything that doesn't hit the hardware. So Final Writer (though I recall having some issues with it), yes, DPaint, no.

Just like Amiga RTG - multiple screens, yes, dragging, no. There's a commodity called Dragon that can fake screen dragging, but I've found it too unstable.

.info files?

Just like any other Amiga.

Basically, MorphOS *is* AmigaOS under a different name. It's not something like AtheOS/Syllable which was meant to be an AmigaOS clone but turned into an OS-with-a-few-features-kinda-sorta-inspired-by-something-AmigaOS-sorta-had"

Offline JC

• Show only replies by JC
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »
I'm glad that this was brought up because I didn't know you could run morphos on an efika, I thought you had to buy a macmini.
A1000, A500, A600, A1200, CDTV, A2000, A4000 Towered, SamFlex 800mhz,

Offline pVC

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 05:17:16 PM »

I'd say better take one closer to 1GHz or more and preferably R8500/R9xxx based gfx card... more the vmem the better.

Easier than ever on any Amigaish system. For multiboot it requires some more work, but for MorphOS only it's about pressing c-key hold on the boot to boot from CD and then few clicks with mouse on installation wizard and you're done.

Yes, but I think that gamepads should be HID compatible and not require any proprietary drivers. I think most digital ones should work.. analog driving wheels etc need more looking.

I've copied all my old apps from my real Amiga installation and that's the easiest way. Generally installing on MorphOS should work too. I never installed anything from adf, but I guess you could mount them or unpack to some mounted device...

What I have configured to my use as 68k versions: FXPaint, PPaint, ArtEffect, ImageFX, Photogenics, Elastic/Fantastic Dreams, TVPaint, Imagine, Real3d, Amplifier, AmigaAMP, GoldED, PageStream, FinalWriter, AmigaWriter, MakeCD, TurboCalc, IBrowse, DCTelnet, AmTelnet, DOpus Magellan2... and lot more :)

Then there are MorphOS native versions of many Amiga apps too, like YAM, SimpleMail, AWEB, Voyager, SongPlayer, AmIRC, CED...

Multiple screens yes. You can even have different skins for each MUI screen, and the greatest thing in MorphOS2 is, that its screenbar modules are visible/usable on every MUI screen too.

Screen dragging is available as 3rd party extension, but I'm not sure if many use it or is it still working. I couldn't use it on real RTG Amiga and thus I can't miss it on MorphOS either.

.info files?

Yes. Native icons are plain PNG images (easy to make!), but tooltypes etc are still same.

Not internally (yet). You have to use external access point or similar solution.

Offline pVC

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »
Quote from: JC;611853
I'm glad that this was brought up because I didn't know you could run morphos on an efika, I thought you had to buy a macmini.

Uhm.. what would you run on Efika, if not MorphOS? ;)

Don't forget Pegasos1, Pegasos2, PowerMacs and certain eMac either :)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 05:32:38 PM »
thanks guys. lack of wireless is a pain. i guess id have to set up a bridge or something then.
everything else sounds great.

Offline JC

• Show only replies by JC
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 05:54:34 PM »
Quote from: pVC;611856

QUOTE]

For some reason I was thinking efika was like sam and ran os4.1 or linux but haven't really read much about it in a long time. Wonder why samiga can't run morphos?
A1000, A500, A600, A1200, CDTV, A2000, A4000 Towered, SamFlex 800mhz,

Offline zyleseaTopic starter

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 06:10:40 PM »
Quote from: JC;611870
Quote from: pVC;611856

QUOTE]

For some reason I was thinking efika was like sam and ran os4.1 or linux but haven't really read much about it in a long time. Wonder why samiga can't run morphos?

Most Efika 5200B will probably be used as headless devices that run some Linux. If you are interested in MorphOS an Efika is only a suggestion if the benefit of Efika (very small and *very* low energy) is really a matter. It is a maschine for tinkering not so much for easy and intensive usage.
I have an Efika and a Mac mini G4 (and a Peg) - while I like my Efika and use it quite a lot there are *worlds* between them.
Efika is good for a lot of stuff, but the 128 MB RAM *are* an issue.
I think Efika is a great product, really. But rather good for special things like my eframe: http://via.i-networx.de/eframe/eframe.htm. For the similar money you'll get an eMac G4 or Powermac G4.
In short: For tinkering - Efika, for just using - some G4 Mac.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:19:50 PM by zylesea »

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 06:12:30 PM »
Quote from: JC;611870
Wonder why samiga can't run morphos?

Simple really, it is not a supported platform, there was little incentive to support it for the MorphOS Team.
~

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »
@ Golem!dk

Now that's more like it, nothing too fancy just plain & simple (a bit like myself).... Cheers.... :)

@ pVc

Thanks for those links, interesting... :)

@ save2600

Erm... nothing to say really, just thought I'd tell you I've just farted.... :)

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 02, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;611784
Since I discovered there are still ppl who don't know what MorphOS actually is, I wrote a brieft introduction (it's just a 5 minute read) for those already familiar with Amiga to get a first idea about it. Some screen shots provide additional information.
Find it here: http://via.i-networx.de/wim.htm

Thanks, that helps. Better info than on the official site.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +