Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is the real power of Akiko chip in cd32 ?  (Read 35280 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: What is the real power of Akiko chip in cd32 ?
« on: December 15, 2016, 11:42:33 PM »
Quote from: skolman;816305
Heart Of The Alien Redux Amiga v1.0 - Another World sequel as an Amiga port gets an Amiga CD32 beta release

"The game uses C2P for rendering so we've been testing builds using the Akiko for that, and we've seen a big FPS increase. Currently with the test build, cutscenes can still drop down to 50% framerate but ingame framerate is either at or close to 100%."

Neat. Always nice to have another CD32 title.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:46:42 PM »
Quote from: kolla;817787
Yeah, I "collected" the SX32 Pro back when it was new, from DCE. I use it a whole lot, but not for games (SX32 Pro was not made for gaming), and I don't have Gloom.

Yeah, I've got an SX1, but I'd kill for an SX32.
And I'm wouldn't be using that for games either.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 03:34:29 PM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;817790
The SX32 Pro is an equivalent of an A1200 with 030 accelerator,extra memory, hard drive and CD-ROM. I don't remember A1200 owners being so precious about only using their 030 machines for productivity! Get off your high horse. Just because it is rare doesn't mean someone shouldn't play a few games on it every so often:

Genetic Species
Alien Breed 3D
ADoom
TFX
Heck even Theme Park benefits from a 030 and extra memory!

All worthwhile uses for a CD32 SX32 Pro if you can find one ;-)

Get off your high horse?
How about grow up and realize some people actually use their computers for something productive?

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 09:16:06 PM »
Quote from: kolla;817814
The SX32 was bought for running Linux, believe it or not. It was in 1996 or 1997, and for a period it was used for OpenBSD too.

Make sense to me, although I would prefer NetBSD.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 11:59:43 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;817825
You can be productive using obsolete software, how efficient you are would be the real test.

Some people will ignore that they could be more efficient using a pc or a tablet, and it would be cheaper. I'm sure there are some things you can use an Amiga for that doesn't impact your efficiency, but I gave in when Windows XP came out. I have plenty of retro computers and consoles that I mess around with still.

You soldiered on a lot longer than I did.
But there are still a few things an Amiga can do adequately.
For instance, I've never seen the need for heavy hitting power to do basic text editing or word processing, just good software.
Not everything requires high performance systems.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 11:58:13 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;817853
I agree with text editing, a writer who just needs to send off some ascii text once a year is unlikely to notice any major impact to their efficiency. Although getting that text off your Amiga is going to need CrossDOS/USB/Ethernet & CrossDOS onto a floppy is likely to be a problem for the receiver.

I think you'd be better off with a PC for "word processing" if you include what used to be referred to as DTP (Desktop Publishing).

In the very unlikely event that you've got software that improves your efficiency over any other platform then WinUAE gives you the best of both worlds.

"software that improves your efficiency over any other platform"

I try not to be too critical on that point, or I'd keep falling back to Windows, leaving my Android and Linux hardware unused as well as my Amiga related systems.
Besides, the line between basic text editing and word processing can get pretty fuzzy, its a matter of how much formatting power you need.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;817862
I would rather be brutally honest and aim for efficiency when I'm trying to be productive and then use the spare time to do things I enjoy with other hardware.

In my case, its the net equivalent anyway as what I WANT to do IS use an alternative, AND I only use the mainstream hardware when I really need to.

Also, I must again reiterate that I am highly offended by Microsoft's decision to integrate software that shares my personal information without requiring my permission, AND preventing its removal.

To be brutally honest myself, I don't like paying for the privileged of being spied upon.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »
The biggest obstacle I can see to an internal accelerator card for the CD32 is that the cpu is surface mounted.
Frankly I'd rather have an external card, that way it could be used with the SX1.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:31:29 AM »
Quote from: kolla;819779
Er... guess how the SX32 Pro is connected :p

Since I own an SX1, I hardly have to guess.
My point being an internal accelerator is not practical for the CD32.