Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is the real power of Akiko chip in cd32 ?  (Read 35252 times)

Description:

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: What is the real power of Akiko chip in cd32 ?
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:48:10 AM »
Ultimate Gloom is the only one of note that actually makes a good game better:

http://www.amigacd32.com/games/gamepage.php?ID=1168&submitButtonName=Submit

Description: Another update to Gloom. In fact, this is also known  as Gloom 3, as there was a Gloom Deluxe that is sort of the second  game. This version features more levels and various other improvements.  One of the few games that takes advantage of the CD32's Akiko chip to do  chunky to planar graphics conversion. This should be compatible with  any ECS or AGA Amiga, but requires at least a 68020 (it also claims to  need 4MB of RAM, but the CD32 doesn't have that much and it works  anyways, so...)

As already stated Wing Commander has the C2P Aikiko routine but an error was made in the programming so it is buggy and not up to speed. Since it was bundled in the Dangerous Streets pack that one was very important to get right and Nick Pelling screwed it up. It's awesome using WHDLoad on an accelerated AGA Amiga though.

Also:
Microcosm
Nick Faldo CD32
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:51:07 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;807878
Ultimate Gloom is the only one of note that actually makes a good game better:

http://www.amigacd32.com/games/gamepage.php?ID=1168&submitButtonName=Submit

Description: Another update to Gloom. In fact, this is also known  as Gloom 3, as there was a Gloom Deluxe that is sort of the second  game. This version features more levels and various other improvements.  One of the few games that takes advantage of the CD32's Akiko chip to do  chunky to planar graphics conversion. This should be compatible with  any ECS or AGA Amiga, but requires at least a 68020 (it also claims to  need 4MB of RAM, but the CD32 doesn't have that much and it works  anyways, so...)

As already stated Wing Commander has the C2P Aikiko routine but an error was made in the programming so it is buggy and not up to speed. Since it was bundled in the Dangerous Streets pack that one was very important to get right and Nick Pelling screwed it up. It's awesome using WHDLoad on an accelerated AGA Amiga though.

Also:
Microcosm
Nick Faldo CD32

Microcosm quote from http://www.verycomputer.com/2_20dd6dd9ef039920_1.htm:
The intro for Microcosm used the chunky to planar conversion if I remember
 rightly. You got 2 versions of the intro - the CDXL style one (quarter
 screen with speech) or the chunky looking one (using Akiko) which was full
 screen but with no speech.  As far as I can remember there was never a
 game that used the Akiko chip.  
 (Now somebody's going to prove me wrong...)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:01:13 PM »
Quote from: kolla;817787
Yeah, I "collected" the SX32 Pro back when it was new, from DCE. I use it a whole lot, but not for games (SX32 Pro was not made for gaming), and I don't have Gloom.
The SX32 Pro is an equivalent of an A1200 with 030 accelerator,extra memory, hard drive and CD-ROM. I don't remember A1200 owners being so precious about only using their 030 machines for productivity! Get off your high horse. Just because it is rare doesn't mean someone shouldn't play a few games on it every so often:

Genetic Species
Alien Breed 3D
ADoom
TFX
Heck even Theme Park benefits from a 030 and extra memory!

All worthwhile uses for a CD32 SX32 Pro if you can find one ;-)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;819778
The biggest obstacle I can see to an internal accelerator card for the CD32 is that the cpu is surface mounted.
Frankly I'd rather have an external card, that way it could be used with the SX1.

@Iggy

Kolla is correct in that the CD32 had a trapdoor like expansion slot that allowed the connection of the FMV MPEG-1 Video Card and a range of accelerators culminating in the SX32-Pro with 030 50Mhz CPU and EDO Ram slot.