Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PiSTORM in general  (Read 264 times)

Description:

Offline F0LLETTTopic starter

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
PiSTORM in general
« on: April 18, 2024, 04:44:13 PM »
I see not much is posted in relation to discussing the PiSTORM.

I didn't know until the other day, someone created a tweaked version of WHDLoad.
Its basically a wrapper, that alters Emu68 command line options on the fly. It checks its database for game your attempting to run, then alters PiSTORM config to allow that game to runs without glitches.

Have to say, this is final piece of puzzle for my new setup, I have been working on.
So, if anyone uses WHDLoad with PiSTORM, check out WHDLoad Wrapper.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 04:45:23 PM by F0LLETT »
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline Boing-ball

Re: PiSTORM in general
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 05:07:49 PM »
I see not much is posted in relation to discussing the PiSTORM.

I didn't know until the other day, someone created a tweaked version of WHDLoad.
Its basically a wrapper, that alters Emu68 command line options on the fly. It checks its database for game your attempting to run, then alters PiSTORM config to allow that game to runs without glitches.

Have to say, this is final piece of puzzle for my new setup, I have been working on.
So, if anyone uses WHDLoad with PiSTORM, check out WHDLoad Wrapper.

Not for me yet. I and FitzSteve run PiStorm’s with Mediators. Will have a play when I get around finishing off my A4K Desktop replacement case build. But so far EMU68 build 11/07/23 is the only build I can get working without issues at the moment.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 06:50:06 PM »
A lot of work went into the database for whdload wrapper, people in the Pistorm community testing and tweaking every reported trouble with games.

The WHDL wrapper works not exclusivly on Pistorm-ed machines btw.

Also for Vampires and 060-equipped Amigas it can be helpful.

The options regarding Pistorm ofc are irrelevant for others.

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 08:37:21 PM »
A lot of work went into the database for whdload wrapper, people in the Pistorm community testing and tweaking every reported trouble with games.

The WHDL wrapper works not exclusivly on Pistorm-ed machines btw.

Also for Vampires and 060-equipped Amigas it can be helpful.

The options regarding Pistorm ofc are irrelevant for others.

Dont forget winuae. Sure I saw that mentioned.
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 08:10:33 AM »
@F0LLETT I get the impression that many PiStorm users get their info direct from other sources like the PiStorm Facebook Group, Discord, Patreon etc where Claude and Michael are really active. Granted that doesn't cover everyone so it just needs a few people to think about sharing the news they see more widely, like you have.

I've downloaded the WHDLoad wrapper but not installed it yet - I want to do a backup first. It looks very straightforward and the Database is simple, a text file of games with arguments afterwards, so it's another tool for us to tinker with :-) Version 0.09 can be downloaded from: http://tinyurl.com/bdhuz3ts (link copied from Discord).

Some more PiStorm news is that Michael has released a working alpha version of the WiFi driver with a BIG caveat...there's NO WIRELESS SECURITY so anyone using it should take various precautions to protect their network before testing it e.g. use a mobile wireless hotspot, or set up a temporary guest network.

I'm very happy with my PiStorm which I've had installed for exactly a year (bought from Amigakit). The thing I especially like is that it allows me to play games like AB3D2 (check out the new version by Karlos, running at about 50 FPS) and an updated version of TFX (running at up to 70 FPS) which were really pushing our Amigas when originally released, to the point where they were unplayable for a majority of owners without emulation.

Karlos TKG: https://github.com/0xABADCAFE/karlos-tkg/archive/refs/heads/main.zip
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 08:16:56 AM by AndyFC »
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

The following users thanked this post: Boing-ball

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 10:37:08 AM »
@F0LLETT I get the impression that many PiStorm users get their info direct from other sources like the PiStorm Facebook Group, Discord, Patreon etc where Claude and Michael are really active. Granted that doesn't cover everyone so it just needs a few people to think about sharing the news they see more widely, like you have.

I generally get my information from Michaels Patreon page. Some on discord.
However, Im sorry. I cant stand facebook and discord. They are so messy, dissorganised and hard to search.
Discord is a Chat server, so why is it trying to be a forum of sorts. Thats what websites are for.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 10:38:00 AM by F0LLETT »

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 03:37:31 PM »
To be fair and balanced here 😉

Most of the new products that come out fall under the same issues regarding updates on what works and what doesn’t. Take the BFG9060 as another example. Bought one of these only to find it didn’t play nice with SCSI.
Ask on forums like this one and the answer is “Didn’t you know about that? It’s well documented!”.
If it weren't for forums like this one, with threads on this, then you would be scratching your heads.

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 09:01:03 PM »
@F0LLETT, I agree. Sadly things are becoming more and more dissipated and so information providers have to go where the audiences are. Monetisation is also a problem (depending on perspective); some people are going to put content on a platform they can control and may get financial benefit from (@everyone I'm not implying this is what Claude and Michael are doing, I'm just writing generally).

Amiga.org has, for a long time, been my primary place for Amiga information, but I find myself browsing amigaworld and EAB more. If I find something especially interesting or useful to me I've cross-posted here too (I don't cross-post things I don't know about or have no experience of; people ask me questions which I can't answer) but time, and not being logged in on my phone browser, have also been limiting factors recently.
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

Offline Hiddenevil

• Show only replies by Hiddenevil
    • http://www.startrekart.com
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 09:16:54 PM »
I use FB mostly to keep club members up to date on what LAG is doing, it's their preferred method of communication so go with the flow. Personally I've started to gravitate back towards websites, simply as it's easier to keep track of information and conversation. Coming here this morning proved this, when in less that 25 minutes a fellow member solved my A600 3.9 booting issue.

I've learned more about to Pistorm reading this thread than I have in the last few months, tried checking on Youtube. A friend is thinking of buying one from Amigakit and I know very little about them, other than last year a fellow club member was having no end of issue running software and pretty much swore off using one in his Amiga. Obviously development goes on, compatibility improves, so it's nice to read that WHDload is now more stable when combined with a Pistorm,

Offline kolla

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2024, 11:54:35 PM »
When you write about someone using their first name, as if you’re buddies or something … at least get the name right?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2024, 12:28:43 AM »
When you write about someone using their first name, as if you’re buddies or something … at least get the name right?

Who are you directing that to? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2024, 02:16:55 AM »
Noo,

just join the Discord

https://discord.gg/Dv3eaZnP